What bag would be considered an "Old Lady Handbag"?

airedale3

Apr 26, 2008
Being an old lady myself, I have noticed several postings asking if a bag appeared "old ladyish". That made me wonder what you all might consider to be old lady bags? A certain style, brand, or color?

Being an old lady myself, I have noticed several postings asking if a bag appeared "old ladyish". That made me wonder what you all might consider to be old lady bags? A certain style, brand, or color?

Ha Ha. Hmmm. I had that thought myself. Being an "older lady" too, I'm wondering . . . would that a "bad" thing?:P

I think the term "matronly" would be a better term than "old lady". I guess it really depends on the bag, as there isn't an exact color or style that would classify a bag as being matronly. Personally I believe that it really depends on that individual woman if the bag works for her or not. Like a classic style may be deemed "matronly" on one person, but totally modern on another.

A good and fair question. For me, "old lady bag" means one my Mom carried when I was a kid...;). I'm older than she was in those days, which makes me an old lady to some, but someow the connotation of the Mom bag sticks. But ya, what DOES that mean? lol

I am in my 30s and I still do a double-take when someone calls me ma'am or Ms. instead or Miss! lol

Anyway, a lot of people think the Chanel flaps are bags older ladies, but I don't care. I love them!

Last edited:
I think in this connotation it might mean "dowdy" (?) :sad:

However, as someone who has been around for a while, I think maybe I speak for other "boomers" when I say that "older Lady" no longer means "dowdy"!!:wlae::supacool::roflmfao:

I think in this connotation it might mean "dowdy" (?) :sad:

However, as someone who has been around for a while, I think maybe I speak for other "boomers" when I say that "older Lady" no longer means "dowdy"!!:wlae::supacool::roflmfao:
Oh temo I totally agree!! I am far more fashion forward than many of the younger women I work with. None of them even have a clue about my handbags or anything else. But, I don't wear what I do for them, I do it for me! :yes:

oh no way! when someone says that's an "old lady handbag"....well, as a matter of fact, that's probably one of the most stylish bags! look at that MJ stam, lots of people i know considered that bag "old ladyish", and look how hot it is. I remember my DBF use to call my monster sized purses 'old lady looking'...nope, no way! hot as all heck!

i'm glad you do it for yourse airedale3, that's what's most important. you have some great words of wisdom there.

Yeah, I agree with the term dowdy.

I used to think an "old lady" bag was a "pocketbook" but I do see some really stylish bags in the "pocketbook" style!

I guess to me an "old lady" bag would be one of those compartmentalized things you order from those catalogs that sell shelf dividers, little contraptions you use to help you put your bracelet on with and fold-up reading glasses. You know the ones...

I am in my 30s and I still do a double-take when someone calls me ma'am or Ms. instead or Miss! lol

Anyway, a lot of people think the Chanel flaps are bags older ladies, but I don't care. I love them!

I remember the first time I was called Ma'am! Just like I remember when Kennedy was shot! lol

I think old lady bag when I see one like this:

723.1L.jpg

Sorry about the size! It is one of my vintage bags from my collection! Genuine lizard.

Even though I see a good portion of young girls wearing Vera Bradley, it reminds me of something my grandmother would wear because of all that quilting. So, Vera Bradley gets my vote. Or maybe anything the Queen of England would wear.