What bag should I get Mom for Mother's Day?

Apr 5, 2009
Hi! Wondering what I can get mom from the outlet for Mother's Day? Any recommendations? She's 58 years old, 5'6, 125 lbs :smile: She needs an everyday bag that will go with everything (she dresses casually). It has to be lightweight because she has a bad back (she is candidate for slipped disc). I thought it would be really special to give her her first real leather bag. I don't think she's ever had one in her life. I prefer the leather ones over the signature C's all over. She's quite simple. The bag should also zip closed (she doesn't like her stuff falling out and she thinks it keeps pick pockets away). I was thinking the black leather carly (timeless and chic), but maybe you have other suggestions. Er, and I can only afford the outlet prices :smile:

If she has a bad back, then I would seriously reconsider signature. You can get a tone on tone, which is very subtle. I have a black signature gallery tote, and the Cs are very subtle. The dark chocolate signature is really nice too. They have some dark brown signature Soho hobos that might work.

If you're willing to shop on the bay or bonanzle, I'd look at the Ergo hobos. They are very lightweight! I have a couple of the medium totes and I used to own a hobo myself. I love the Ergo line!

If you're near an outlet, I'd go and check out the made for factory legacy bags. The leather is much lighter than the old legacy leather and the designs are nearly identical.

ETA: I saw you are thinking about a Carly. They are very classic bags but very heavy! I eventually got sick of hauling around my medium leather Carly and sold it. It also never stayed on my shoulder!

If you're willing to shop on the bay or bonanzle, I'd look at the Ergo hobos. They are very lightweight! I have a couple of the medium totes and I used to own a hobo myself. I love the Ergo line!

If you're near an outlet, I'd go and check out the made for factory legacy bags. The leather is much lighter than the old legacy leather and the designs are nearly identical.

ETA: I saw you are thinking about a Carly. They are very classic bags but very heavy! I eventually got sick of hauling around my medium leather Carly and sold it. It also never stayed on my shoulder!

Hmm, I guess Carly is a bit heavy because of the hardware. Thanks for the reminder. Yes I am 15minutes from an outlet :smile: But I just got into Coach this month so I'm only beginning to recognize them. I will check out the hobos. I don't think I will recognize which is the factory bag unless I look inside at the creed. Thanks!

I would just go to the outlet and pick something out that you like! That's what I have done for my mom and only once in all the Coach I've bought her we have had to do an exchange! I'm sure your mom will love the thoughtful gift! Can't wait until my DD can go and buy me Coach (ok she is 1 so it will be awhile)!:woohoo:

I agree with the majority here. I have two ergo hobo bags; they are light weight, simple style that goes with everything IMO. I was told by the SA at the boutique that the design of the bag is purposely ergonomic - hence the name - so that it is comfortable to carry. Whichever bag you pick, I think your mom will love such a thoughful gift.

I agree with Jackbnip. If you're so close to the outlet, go take a look around. You never know what they will have on hand. That way you can try on the bag, see if it's heavy or not, and actually feel and see the bag. Besides, it's so fun shopping. Good luck and I'm sure your mom will love whatever you pick out for her!