What Are Your Thoughts On This Article?

Jun 11, 2012
Hermès Hauled in $2.7 Million in One China Store on Saturday: Sources
Its China's second-largest Guangzhou flagship, reopened last Saturday, saw a strong rebound of luxury consumption in post-coronavirus China.
Hermès is said to have brought in at least 19 million renminbi, or $2.7 million, in sales on the reopening day of its flagship store in Guangzhou’s Taikoo Hui last Saturday, according to multiple sources.

Rare bags, including a diamond-studded Himalayan Birkin, were shipped to the location. VIPs from across the Guangdong province, the wealthiest area in China with Guangzhou its capital, descended on the store to purchase tableware, shoes, furniture and leather goods.

The single-day tally, believed to be the highest for a single boutique in China, offers a confidence boost for luxury brands who are eager to get tills ringing again after the coronavirus outbreak.

Hermès could not immediately be reached to verify the sales figure, but its VIPs documented their shopping foray across Chinese social media, such as Weibo and Xiaohongshu.

I saw one person posting that she bought close to 1 million rmb worth of goods on that day - which is like 1/20 of the total. Photos posted on SNS also don’t show a crowded store at all (also everyone was wearing face masks as expected). So I think it may be a case of not that many people rushed to buy but rather those who went were big time spenders. They are less affected by the Coronavirus and probably itching to spend and shop after not being able to for some time due to the virus.

I guess if you're the kind of person whose life is focused on posting on social media that you spent millions of RMB on luxury goods that day, you are running to Hermès the second it opens to keep feeding a) your "audience" b) your habit.
Pretty tone deaf when so many people are still dying globally, and people out of work, but each to their own.

I guess if you're the kind of person whose life is focused on posting on social media that you spent millions of RMB on luxury goods that day, you are running to Hermès the second it opens to keep feeding a) your "audience" b) your habit.
Pretty tone deaf when so many people are still dying globally, and people out of work, but each to their own.

You spoke what I was thinking but afraid to post....:hugs:

but some people buy for the sake of buying and are approaching hoarding territory.

Yes! Especially on some of the forums here, I'm seeing people buying multiples of things they don't even really know if they want, just because they find it available. It feels like it is bordering on compulsive behavior.

I'm as much of a bag nut as the next person, but I find it a bit gauche that people are acting like they can't go a few months without buying a luxury handbag. Like @QuelleFromage said, it's all just a bit over the top.