What are your preowned Chanel Classic Flap deal breakers/non-negotiables?

What are your preowned Chanel Classic Flap deal breakers (non-negotiables)?

• Bag Year/Series

• Bag Color

• Hardware Color

• Interior Color (burgundy vs black)

• Leather/Material

• Includes authenticity card

• Includes Dustbag

• Includes Box

• Condition

• Price

Results are only viewable after voting.

cdxrayqt

May 10, 2016
I have been searching for my perfect preowned Chanel medium classic flap for awhile and I am continuously re-evaluating my deal breakers/non-negotiables. This has become even more valuable to me since the preowned market prices have recently increased as well. I am curious what everyone's opinions are? Mine are: bag color, hardware color, leather, includes authenticity card/dustbag/box, and condition. If I could add one more, it would be "returns/refunds". I recently purchased a bag and it was not in "like new" condition as listed. There were 2 large creases on the front of the bag that were not visible in the photos because the chain was covering them and the creases were not indicated in the description. I was so glad I purchased from a reseller that allowed returns so i could be refunded my $6k. I will never purchase without an option to return; this was especially reinforced after my recent experience. Disappointed to see they relisted this flawed bag with the same photos, description & price.

Last edited:
Reactions: fdc
All my Chanels have been purchased pre-loved and for me it’s just condition and price. The bag has to have been taken care of and can’t have any tears, color/dirt marks, split corners, or ruined structure. Also has to be original, I don’t want anything that’s been altered or is missing a piece (like a bag that should be a shoulder bag but the chains fell off so they’re listing it as a “clutch”).

Pricing also has to be what I think is reasonable (this obviously will vary person to person) and can’t be overinflated for what the bag is. I see prices that I think are fair and prices that I think are silly and out of touch.

The rest of the things don’t really bother me at all, I’m not expecting a pre-loved bag to be perfect, I just want it to be in a nice condition that will make me happy :smile: That being said though if it’s your first one, I would add the leather type and hardware color!

All my Chanels have been purchased pre-loved and for me it’s just condition and price. The bag has to have been taken care of and can’t have any tears, color/dirt marks, split corners, or ruined structure. Also has to be original, I don’t want anything that’s been altered or is missing a piece (like a bag that should be a shoulder bag but the chains fell off so they’re listing it as a “clutch”).

Pricing also has to be what I think is reasonable (this obviously will vary person to person) and can’t be overinflated for what the bag is. I see prices that I think are fair and prices that I think are silly and out of touch.

The rest of the things don’t really bother me at all, I’m not expecting a pre-loved bag to be perfect, I just want it to be in a nice condition that will make me happy :smile: That being said though if it’s your first one, I would add the leather type and hardware color!
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your reply! You made some excellent points! This won't be my first Chanel, but it will be my first Medium Flap. I have a Jumbo Single Flap, a WOC & a Kelly currently. I have unfortunately noticed that my price range has been forced to increase for the condition I want which is a bummer. Mediums are now going for at least double (and even more) than what I paid for my Jumbo! I have also considered buying new since preowned no longer seems to provide the same savings it used to but I see a lot of complaints about new quality not being what it should be.

I have been searching for my perfect preowned Chanel medium classic flap for awhile and I am continuously re-evaluating my deal breakers/non-negotiables. This has become even more valuable to me since the preowned market prices have recently increased as well. I am curious what everyone's opinions are? Mine are: bag color, hardware color, leather, includes authenticity card/dustbag/box, and condition. If I could add one more, it would be "returns/refunds". I recently purchased a bag and it was not in "like new" condition as listed. There were 2 large creases on the front of the bag that were not visible in the photos because the chain was covering them and the creases were not indicated in the description. I was so glad I purchased from a reseller that allowed returns so i could be refunded my $6k. I will never purchase without an option to return; this was especially reinforced after my recent experience. Disappointed to see they relisted this flawed bag with the same photos, description & price.

Always buy from a reputable seller and avoid eBay!. There's a list of trusted sellers here for Chanel so go from there. I've been lucky enough to buy some near perfect gems from Fashionphile and Boutique Patina. Only hiccup was with the hardware once but I was compensated for it immediately. The authenticity card and serial number sticker in non negotiable for me personally. Good luck!

Reactions: cdxrayqt

Exactly how I feel. When you like a bag, are certain it is authentic, all the bells and whistles don’t matter. I’ve gotten awesome deals on classic flaps in excellent condition just because there is no authenticity card. Doesn’t bother me one bit.

Price is certainly a consideration when I buy pre-loved! But while I don't want to overpay, I'm also willing to pay a little more for better condition. I would not buy a bag in a condition I wasn't happy with to save some money. I'd rather save that money and put it toward something I was really on board with.

I also don't buy without the authenticity card, but I'm much more lax when it comes to box/dust bag. I can certainly understand why someone might not have the box or dust bag anymore.

The bag needs to be in the exact specs that I look for in colour, hardware and leather. I can't buy classic flaps in every colour, nor do I need, so I just hunt specific colours that I want.
The next important thing is condition, I only buy new, like new and excellent bags.
Prices then must match the condition, I'm willing to pay up to 90% retail price for a new bag, even like new if it's a hard-to-find combo, and up to 80% for an excellent condition bag.
The rest is not too important but I only buy from reputable resellers and have the bags authenticated afterwards.

so long as my conditions of hw, leather color, leather type, style price and authenticity are met, i personally prefer not to have card, dustbag, box (more landfill) and I dont have unlimited closet space. However, I will say that the new Chanel bag boxes are very nice.