What are your jewelry myths and superstitions?

Interesting thread :smile: please execuse my rant its been bothering me for two years now!!
My in-laws and many in my culture believe that wearing gold is good for little girls.. As it helps with being fertile! (I am sorry i dont believe that and even if its true i dont care since safety of my child comes first! If God wills she'll have kids of her own and if God wills she wont then no gold dangling peiece will change that) my in laws always made a big deal out of me not piercing my little girls ears. I told them thousands of times i dress her up with pendants and bracelets only in outings as i dont want them to get in her way while playing. But wont let her suffer sleeping in pain with earings (i know how it feels like) and wont certaily be oblidged to take them off her daily for that matter, i have much more important things in her life to worry about and take care of.
That feels better now that i wrote it down :smile: thank you dears!!

I've heard so many of these but I wanted to contribute to the idea of second hand jewellery. I buy a lot of estate pieces - the variety is second to none - and every time my jeweller sees me wearing one of these pieces he does this small prayer over the piece and a meditation so as to release the energy and potential bad spirit from it. I remember wearing this 1920s Art Deco ring I got for a steal and he loved it. He very quietly put it down on this sheet of paper and got very quiet. His partner explained he was "releasing" the piece to me. I don't know if I quite believe in what he's doing but I HAVE had pieces that I felt were...bad luck or cursed. I have had jewellery tell me it was time to pass them on, as crazy as that sounds.
I absolutely love this thread...so interesting to read about all these cultural myths and superstitions. I agree with TOB...I love estate/antique jewelry but always worry about what the background story is. God forbid the original owner was murdered or some other gruesome thing. :shocked:

I absolutely love this thread...so interesting to read about all these cultural myths and superstitions. I agree with TOB...I love estate/antique jewelry but always worry about what the background story is. God forbid the original owner was murdered or some other gruesome thing. :shocked:
Well gee Skyqueen, I hadn't thought about that before!!! :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just happened upon this thread and love hearing everyone's superstitions!

My MIL was Polish and she had a million of them. The one she told me about pearls was that if your mother or MIL gave you a strand of pearls, you had to give her one penny for each pearl. She gave me a strand of (fake) pearls one Christmas and then produced a jar of pennies so I could "pay" her! She believed her superstitions but also manipulated them to suit her needs, lol!

Not jewelry related, but she also believed that when visiting a house, you had to leave through the same door as the one you came in, or you'd never return to that house. Also, when a guest stayed at your house, you had to throw out their personal garbage before they left or they would not return.

Dropping silverware meant company was coming. If you dropped a spoon, it would be a woman, if it was a fork, a man. What if it was a knife? "Don't pick it up!"

Like so many others here, I have heard that opals are unlucky unless you were born in October. I never heard that sapphires are bad luck but hope it's not true because I love them.

Also grew up believing that when you gave a purse or wallet, it had to have money in it, the belief being that an empty purse stays empty and one with money stays full. My DH has actually put higher denominations in my more expensive bags!

Also, just have to add that as the owner/slave of two black cats, my saying is: When a black cat crosses your path ... pet it!

My mom's family was Polish and I heard about nearly all of these--the dropped silverware, the money in the gifted purse, guests coming in and out the proper door, but the women always laughed them off. Especially the silverware thing like when you were doing dishes and dropped a big clattering handful.

I've also enjoyed reading about different cultures' superstitions.

When DH and I were married we had no money so I suggested we get our rings at a pawn shop. He was horrified, thought pawned wedding rings would have really bad vibes. I must admit that in retrospect had we bought pawned rings I'd always be wondering what sad tale was behind the rings.

I can't wear any stones...at all. No diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc. Not even jade or turquoise. Just solid precious metals. My family has a huge history of bad luck with many precious stones ((especially my mom and my aunt)) so my mom and other members of my fam just cut them out entirely.

My mom said it is my risk if I want to wear but I'm too scared to take that risk so I cut them out too. I don't really mind though. I like the look of plain jewelry without the precious stones.

My aunt once told me wedding rings were worn on the fourth finger of the left hand because there is a special nerve or artery connecting that finger directly to the heart. To wear the wedding rings on any other finger, or to wear any other rings on the left fourth finger, would interfere with the heart connection and thus create problems in the marriage. She was half-Romanian, I'm not sure whether that story came from that side of her family or not.

I can't wear any stones...at all. No diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, etc. Not even jade or turquoise. Just solid precious metals. My family has a huge history of bad luck with many precious stones ((especially my mom and my aunt)) so my mom and other members of my fam just cut them out entirely.

My mom said it is my risk if I want to wear but I'm too scared to take that risk so I cut them out too. I don't really mind though. I like the look of plain jewelry without the precious stones.

What do you mean bad luck? Can you cite an example thanks