What are your jewelry myths and superstitions?

Mcandy

Jul 24, 2013
Well, ive heard some superstious beliefs about jewelry and im not sure if its true...

Ive always wore real pearls as earrings even back in college so I was worried when someone told me that I shouldn't wear any pearl jewelry if im single or else i wont be able to get married. Then I told my mom and she told me, not if your zodiac sign is a gemini and so i was relieved since I am a gemini.

Then when i met a polish friend, she told me that in her country she uses fake pearls because using real pearls as accessories is bad luck. Then i told her i shouldnt worry since my zodiac sign is gemini and pearl is my birth stone and she told me it doesnt matter. I tried to do a research and there were entries about it too. One is the la peregrina pearl of queen mary...correct me if I am wrong...

So what do you think guys? Wat are your other beliefs when it comes to jewelry? In my opinion i dont think its true..I love pearls and so far Ive been blessed. I believe my blessing came from God our creator anyway...

My Irish grandmother used to say that you'd have bad luck if you wore Opals and you weren't born in October. The superstitions are funny. I say just wear what you like 😉

My Irish grandmother used to say that you'd have bad luck if you wore Opals and you weren't born in October. The superstitions are funny. I say just wear what you like 😉

My friend is born in January and every once in a while she'll buy herself something opal and after a few weeks give it to me because she knows it's my stone lol She says it doesn't "feel right" wearing them.

I wonder if your grandmother's rule applies to mothers of October babies:smile:

Well, ive heard some superstious beliefs about jewelry and im not sure if its true...

Ive always wore real pearls as earrings even back in college so I was worried when someone told me that I shouldn't wear any pearl jewelry if im single or else i wont be able to get married. Then I told my mom and she told me, not if your zodiac sign is a gemini and so i was relieved since I am a gemini.

That (the gemini thing) sounds exactly like what I'd say to my kids to reassure them :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm not afraid to wear pearls, or walk under a ladder ;) I only avoid pearls short necklaces (I think it makes me look matronly), and didn't wear diamond on my left hand when I was single.

Then when i met a polish friend, she told me that in her country she uses fake pearls because using real pearls as accessories is bad luck. Then i told her i shouldnt worry since my zodiac sign is gemini and pearl is my birth stone and she told me it doesnt matter. I tried to do a research and there were entries about it too. One is the la peregrina pearl of queen mary...correct me if I am wrong...

So what do you think guys? Wat are your other beliefs when it comes to jewelry? In my opinion i dont think its true..I love pearls and so far Ive been blessed. I believe my blessing came from God our creator anyway...

The only thing I've heard about pearls (and this is from the Asian side of the family) is that pearls shouldn't be used in an engagement ring because it's like "tears", and they are fragile.

Since engagement rings are only a relatively new cultural occurrence (last 100 years or so), I take this with a pinch of salt. As a Gemini as well I'm going to still continue to love wearing pearls (but I'm still more than happy with the diamond in my engagement ring!)

Too funny!

I recently got into jade and there are all sorts of superstitions about jade depending on color and sometimes what it is carved into.

Jade bangles are for protection, which is why they are given to babies to wear and often to grow into. Bangles are supposed to have energy to protect the wearer and will crack first to absorb the harm. Bangles that have cracked have dissipated their protection.

I have a bracelet with onyx stones and I read that onyx is supposed also be protective and that it absorbs and redirects negativity.

i've heard this one also. and while i don't consider myself superstitious (we live with 2 black cats) i've never owned a piece of jewelry with opal in it. :P

ooh i love these sort of things!

in middle eastern culture the "evil eye" is seen as an emblem of protection. it's often used in jewelry, or other forms of knick-knacks to put around the house :P

I heard that if you buy an evil eye for yourself it backfires and brings danger rather than protection. I don't know if I necessarily believe in it but its a good reason to persuade someone else to buy it :P this is a great thread OP!

I keep hearing about how jewelry placement indicates your relationship status and/or sexual orientation. Have any of you heard stuff like that?

left ring finger for married, of course... and the rest only when I was little did I hear about this: for men-- before piercing for men and being openly gay was acceptable--double earrings meant gay, and also a single earring in the right (or was it left??) ear meant you were gay, too. lol

Also, we wear flowers behind the ear a lot in hawaii and supposedly it follows the ring thing... flower on the left ear is taken, on the right ear is single. (but I always just wore mine on the left because it would stay better without having to pin it.)

I heard that if you buy an evil eye for yourself it backfires and brings danger rather than protection. I don't know if I necessarily believe in it but its a good reason to persuade someone else to buy it :P this is a great thread OP!

I always heard the same thing about jade growing up! Not that it was bad luck, just that the luck came with it being a gift.

I've heard of this as well and I'm in the Caribbean. I love opals and have a few pieces and plan on getting more so that shows what I think about it.

I've heard people say they refuse to buy pawned jewelry because of fear of bad luck. I thought so for a while until I got this great pair of sapphire and diamond earrings for less than 1/4 of the price for similar stuff in regular stores. Since then, I've bought several amazing pieces and haven't had any bad luck. I also think it's a great way of getting unique pieces.

It seems that if one cannot afford real gems or pearls, that making up a "bad luck" rumor is a convenient way of trying to get the culture to support the choice that one can afford.

Hi Op! Someone very important to me never ever ever try on someone else's engagement ring. It is very bad luck . So I never have and I have been married for 28 years so far. Funny the things that stick in your head,