what are your favorite nail files... glass or metal?

no1stunnah

Feb 9, 2008
Chicago
hi ladies......

still somewhat of an NP noob developing a serious problem thx to this board :graucho:

i've been using drugstore emery boards but with virtually all of my disposable income going to NP i thought might as well invest in some real nail files. i saw the $60+ file on rbl :shocked: but uhhh not ready to take that plunge haha. what are some of your favorite nail files?

:heart:3 thx for your advice!

Serina

Handbags and Horses
Jul 4, 2009
In the saddle.
Definately invest in a good glass file. Itll last you for years. Ive heard nailstylists advice against metal files.

kathyrose

The Bargain Hunter
O.G.
Dec 12, 2005
Norman, OK
www.flickr.com
Never tried a glass file but a fellow blogger recommended a file that is 180 or more in grit (I think it's grit or something like that) so it won't hurt the nails. I've had breakage so we talked about that when I met her recently.

Hurrem1001

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
I have one that I bought in Sally's Beauty Supply called Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File. I love it, it works a treat!

saban

O.G.
Jun 18, 2008
Bay Area
WTH $65 for a metal nail file?:wtf:

I love my glass file dearly. And they last a long time as long as you don't use it to file anything other than nails.

no1stunnah

Feb 9, 2008
Chicago
The problem with metal files is they usually have a too low grit, ie they are too coarse and can break your nails. I either use a glass file or a paper one. You can read about files at this blog which is generally very useful for nail care tips. http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com/2010/11/x-files.html
i have been browsing this blog and am just blown away by the amount of technical knowledge re: nail care. mind officially blown :faint: