Books & Music What are your favorite Cookbooks...and why?

jburgh

BV ~ Ferragamo ~ TODs
O.G.
Aug 17, 2007
I really like the Cooks Illustrated books. They have some really great tips, and the recipes are testing. There are lots of cookbooks where you just know the author never even tried the recipe before it was included in the book. Also Cooks Illustrated will suggest flavorful and healthier alternatives for some ingredients.

My other favorite series of books were the Frugal Gourmet. I had every single book and used them regularly. After I found out the author was discovered to be a pederast, I got rid of them all. I have mixed emotions about that one.

Then of course, the Joy of Cooking is awesome. But, I like the old version. When the new one came out, I donated my old one and bought the new edition. To my dismay, many of the recipes were changed and things were not the same. Even my favorite bran muffin recipe on page 630 was removed. I was able to find the older edition from the 70s at a local Goodwill.

I love all of Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) cookbooks. There is not 1 recipe in any of her cookbooks that I can honestly say have not turned out good. My son who can be very picky when it comes to my cooking likes her recipes. The ingredients she calls for can be found in any grocery store-nothing exotic.
I also like the Julia Child/Jacques Pepin cookbook- Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home. Basic recipes with 2 points of views.
I use Martha Stewart's cookbooks when I have family/company for dinner. The recipes are a little more complicated and "fancier" than what I would normally serve.

I second the Ina Garten books! I love hers. They're so beautiful & I've never had one of her recipes turn bad.
I love Martha Stewart's books-especially cookies & cupcakes.
I love Julia Child's classic book as well.

Oh heck, I just love cookbooks! Like my grandma, I just have way too many of them.

Margaret Fulton's books are comprehensive with fundamental and easy to follow recipes.

Stephanie Alexander's "The Cook's Companion" is one of my favourites - I've loved everything I've cooked from it, especially the goat's cheese souffle. The book is pretty and it's written nice and simply.

The Margaret Fulton Cookbook. Absolute classic.

Nigella Feast and Nigella Bites. Easy recipes that never disappoint. I think I've made every single recipe in Nigella Bites by now! I also love the layout of Nigella Bites; it's a bit more spacious. Nigella is wonderful.

I also like Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes (I loved the TV series which probably sways my opinion as regards the book!). It's a collection of standard, classic dishes but the photography and commentary make it lovely. Plus it contains one of my favourite dishes that I make all the time (a vegetable bake).

For the fans of Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) cookbooks, which one(s) do you use the most?
I love Barefoot in Paris and also Barefoot Contessa Family Style. All her books have beautiful pics and helpful hints. She has a new cookbook out that is a best seller. I am waiting to pick it up next month when she is doing a book signing at our local Williams-Sonoma.

I like Dr. Oetker cookbooks because recipes are easy to follow and always turn out to be good.

I love Jamie Oliver's cookbooks. The Naked Chef, Jamie at Home, Jamie's Kitchen, Jamie's Italy, etc. Recipes are easy to follow and meals are quite tasty with a lot of vegetables.

I love Ina Gartens cookbooks because they are just very well constructed, with beautiful glossy pages and big pictures of each item.

I also love Martha Stewart cookbooks because I just find that she always has great recipes! Her cupcakes and cookies book are especially good.

Just got back from Ina Garten's book signing at Williams-Sonoma. She was
signing copies of her new book "How Easy is That?". She is just as friendly and
warm as she appears on her show. While waiting on line we were given samples
of her spicy turkey meatballs and a cranberry/nut muffin. My husband said the
meatball was very good-too early in the morning for me to try but we both agreed
the muffin was good-very moist. The table of contents are: cocktails, starters,
lunch, dinner, vegetables and desserts. The food pics are very appetizing!!

I too am a fan of Martha Stewart's cook books she has great recipes with cut to the chase instructions. I am also in love with Isa Chandra Moskowitz and her Vegan cook books such as Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar, Vegan with a Vengeance, and Vegan Brunch just to name a few!

Bon Apetit's Fast, Easy, Fresh! It's my go-to cookbook, we've never had anything short of delicious out of that book. Nothing like making a gourmet amazing dinner that doesn't take long to prepare-great for dinner parties so you can enjoy your guests rather than spending so much time in the kitchen!

My first cookbook was from Dom DeLuise "Eat this, you'll feel better" I LOVE Nigella Lawson, Rachael Ray etc but Dom's is still my favorite cookbook. Every recipe is fabulous and he's got great, funny, heartwarming stories to go along with them.