Books & Music What Are You Reading ?

At th mo: Statistic books for university and the latest novel of Jamie and Claire by Diana Gabaldon. I love reading and do it all the time. At night I'm reading Harry Potter and the halfbloodprince to my son.

i'm reading Maus by Art Spiegelman for my ethnic american lit class. it's a graphic novel about the holocaust written by the son of a survivor. it sounds kind of odd, but it's an incredibly powerful piece of art. the way he did it was genius.

amanda said:
i'm reading Maus by Art Spiegelman for my ethnic american lit class. it's a graphic novel about the holocaust written by the son of a survivor. it sounds kind of odd, but it's an incredibly powerful piece of art. the way he did it was genius.

Maus is one of my most favourite books ever, I really like how the art highlights the differences between people.

In the past 2 weeks, I've kind of been on a binge, I've just finished reading: A Million Little Pieces, Angels and Demons, Freakonomics, The Devil Wears Prada, Bourne Identity and Apologies to Thucydides. I'm also reading Polybius' Histories as well as Livy's Ad Urbe Condita for school. Oh I need a nerd face smiley ! :lol:

Ayla, how did you like The Devil Wears Prada? I just sold mine on Half.com. I couldn't get through it, I thought it was so dull!

I'm reading a lot of text books for class but for free-time I'm re-reading Lolita.

ayla said:
Maus is one of my most favourite books ever, I really like how the art highlights the differences between people.

In the past 2 weeks, I've kind of been on a binge, I've just finished reading: A Million Little Pieces, Angels and Demons, Freakonomics, The Devil Wears Prada, Bourne Identity and Apologies to Thucydides. I'm also reading Polybius' Histories as well as Livy's Ad Urbe Condita for school. Oh I need a nerd face smiley ! :lol:

James Frey and Dan Brown are both awesome!

I'm reading Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse...he is one of my favourite authors, besides Danielle Steele heh, I'm kidding. :lol:

IntlSet said:
Ayla, how did you like The Devil Wears Prada? I just sold mine on Half.com. I couldn't get through it, I thought it was so dull!

I'm reading a lot of text books for class but for free-time I'm re-reading Lolita.

I thought it was kind of like reading the equivalent of fast food in novel form, it was satisfying and tasty, but probably bad for you and you shouldn't indulge too much. I actually read that one in one sitting, sometimes it felt like it was just a big list of designer names and how much everything cost and how mean what's her face is. I kind of wonder how much of it is really Anna Wintour though !

Aww.. Lolita ! I liked that book, but after I read other peoples' comments on it, I felt like I didn't get the same message as what others got. There was a really interesting novel written on it about a group of Muslim women that read the book, I think it's called Reading Lolita in Theran, those women understood it right away to be a control-power issue, since they themselves were oppressed and were breaking the rules by reading !

Ah, I read Maus as well but for a humanities class. That class had us all reading 12 books in one semester. Maus was the best of them.

Right now I'm reading a book called "The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy" for one of my fashion classes. It is assigned reading but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so it feels like personal reading. Very interesting... about an economist who tracks down where a t-shirt has been from the growing of the cotton to the manufacturing.

IntlSet said:

Ha ha, I have that book too! I'm going to get rid of it on ebay later. :lol: I thought it was pretty entertaining...

I only have time for schoolbooks lately. So, my current reading is a massive book about Rhetoric Theory. :smile: If anyone needs to know about aristotle,plato, socrates, cicero or quintillian- I'm your girl. :-p

PS.

Chick- lit as "fast food in novel form" what a cute assessment! I agree, I can blow through almost any book like that in a sitting or two. It's quick, enjoyable, and leaves you feeling satisfied but slightly guilty. ;)

PS. A quick little recomendation for people looking for something easy to read but a little less fluffy, Aimee Bender has two truly unique books. "The Girl with the Flammable Skirt" is a collection of insane short stories- and "An Invisble Sign of My Own" is a story about a girl with some of the oddest obsessions and OCD tendencies ever. Just to warn anyone who may try to read, they're realllly odd books, but worth a read.