What are you good at?

Oct 30, 2006
A thread in the Relationship forum got me to thinking about this question.

What are you good at and how did it happen? Shopping and TPF are not answers.

I'll start.

I am a pretty great cook and baker. I take on some complicated recipes. I only really started getting good after the economy crashed and we stopped eating out so much.

I am good at personal finance stuff. I was working at a pension consulting firm and I started noticing that all the young women analysts would start working there and say they couldn't afford to contribute to their 401k. So I started nagging all of them into it. I would show them the dramatic impact starting when they were 25 compared to when they were 30 or 40 would have and they were sold.

I was embarrassed once because when I was 25, a much older male coworker was talking about mutual funds and I didn't know what they were. I didn't like feeling embarrassed and ignorant so I studied up on all of it.

I am good at thinking up creative ways to teach my kids stuff. As an example, I teach my kids about economics using the tooth fairy. Sometimes the tooth fairly leaves a lot and sometimes she leaves disappointingly little. I explain this to my kids by saying 'supply and demand'. When they ask what I mean by this, I say well, the tooth fairy either had a lot of teeth available (supply) or she didn't need many (demand) or vice versa.

What are YOU good and and how did it come about?

I'm good at needlework, though my arthritis keeps me from doing much anymore. I learned needlepoint from a neighbor when I admired a piece she had completed. I learned crewel with my mother while on vacation in northern Michigan, and my mother taught me counted cross stitch. Like most needleworkers, I have drawers and boxes of pieces to finish.

I'm good with animals. Spent part of my childhood on a farm and later just with several horses on our property. And always had dogs. My parents told me that the large animals always quieted down when I was around them.

I am good at thinking up creative ways to teach my kids stuff. As an example, I teach my kids about economics using the tooth fairy. Sometimes the tooth fairly leaves a lot and sometimes she leaves disappointingly little. I explain this to my kids by saying 'supply and demand'. When they ask what I mean by this, I say well, the tooth fairy either had a lot of teeth available (supply) or she didn't need many (demand) or vice versa.
That's awesome! :biggrin: A great thing to teach kids at a young age too.
I actually still have a bag of all my baby teeth (gross, I know), because instead of getting a couple of dollars for one tooth, I wanted it all in one lump sum. Unfortunately I didn't know about interest back then and by the time I thought I could cash it in, it wasn't worth letting them go.

I'm good at understanding and innovating technical aspects of materials and products, because that's my passion and job. I like to think I'm good at aesthetic designing too, but that's subjective. :P

Outside work, I'm pretty good at understanding and relating to people and can have pretty deep and meaningful conversations with anyone, even if I don't know them.
I love psychology and understanding people. :smile:

I would like to say my abstract art, being an awesome possum wife and utilizing my relentlessness quick wit and witty banter upon the lovely masses. <--- See. Told ya.

=D

I am good at not procrastinating- When things need to get done, I get them done even if i have "time" to wait. I guess all the years in school has made me good at accomplishing tasks asap so the stress does not build up.