Workplace What are the professional benefits of a LinkedIn profile?

I think it's incredibly important. I'm able to put my work history, my awards, any other things I want to mention, plus my book reviews that are published online (but aren't completely related to what I do). Many recruiters and headhunters have found me through my profile. All of my coworkers and friends have had them for quite some time. It's also a great place to point potential employers if they want to know more about you.

Absolutely important. During my time at university I have had my LinkedIn profile running, I have been contacted by people recruiting for major companies here in the UK asking for my CV's, to produce test work for them act so they can take a look at 'what I can do'.

As such, I've built a really strong relationship with some of them ready for when I graduate in the hopes that it will improve the likelihood of finding work.

It's very important since it's an easy way for recruiters or headhunters to find people. I think it's more important as you move up in your career since your skills become more specialized. Linkedin makes searching for those skills easy for recruiters and seems to be a popular method of contacting potential applicants.

It's also great for networking since you can see information about someone before you reach out.

I thought it was crap and went on there to humor friends who kept sending me "connection" requests -- that is, until I got recruited a couple of weeks ago to sit on an important panel.

I know it was through linkedin because the guy who contacted me had checked out my profile and the bio they pulled came directly from linkedin.

I have since pimped that sucker out.

i've heard many ppl got their job thru linkedln...so it doesn't hurt to have an account.
it also depends on your field and position....and what kind of ppl they're looking.

i've heard an employer really wanted an old fashion expert in his field, so he posted his ad in NY times. when he saw the guy came in...he already mentally hired him before they sat down.

What field are you all working in that it's helped you so much?

I haven't found much luck with my linkedin profile, but I definitely haven't put as much effort into it as I could have - I haven't listed any of my published papers, no letters of rec or anything and it's basically just a detailed resume, and I haven't networked with any new people in my field through it, aided by the fact that the message boards for my company and alma mater are either filled with spam or vacant from conversations. I've had a few recruiters contact me, but mainly from those who are obviously doing shot-in-the-dark approaches to trying to find people with any amount of specific experience.

Once my part-time employees started "connecting" to me on there and vouching for my skills, I felt like it wasn't as professional as it originally appeared - I don't need a college freshman who worked for me telling employers that I'm good at data analysis. I've had better luck with people finding and contacting me by posting my resume on monster and careerbuilder.

i really had no interest in it. never planned to have a linked in profile.
but then my boss forced me to make one (yes, you read that correctly, she required me to make one)
and i was throwing a fit at first, but then i thought "you know what..i hate my boss... job is ok but it irritates the crap out of me because of her... so if she wants me to join a website where people are looking for someone to hire.. then so be it!!"

she told me i needed to create an account because our company was making a group page and she wanted me to be a 'manager' of it. even though i haven't posted a darn thing on there since there are 3-4 other 'managers' on it. but because of my job title i HAD to do it. (for social media sharing purposes). what an idiot.

I thought it was crap and went on there to humor friends who kept sending me "connection" requests -- that is, until I got recruited a couple of weeks ago to sit on an important panel.

I know it was through linkedin because the guy who contacted me had checked out my profile and the bio they pulled came directly from linkedin.

I have since pimped that sucker out.

Ummm...wow. Ya, guess I gotta go in and pimp out mine, too. I've had it for ages and do nothing with it, not one thing. Time for a change.

Ugh...like I needed one more thing on my to do list. :whiteflag: The internet has added SO much to my workload.

I have had recruiters and head hunters find me over Linkedin as well. I have also seen my profiles views spike up when I was applying to other positions, so I know that the right people are viewing my page.

I have just recently got a new job, so I won't be on the site as much as I was while I was looking. While I was applying for my new job, I was able to connect with a former employee who was now at the company I wanted to apply for. We had a quick chat through Linkedin about the company and she agreed to give me an internal employee referral and I landed and interview and was offered the job.

Linkedin is great for certain fields of work, but not necessary for every position. My teacher friends do not have linkedin profiles. It doesn't hurt to have though! I think its important to keep business connections at easy access for the future.