What are the patina rules? (Help me decide what to do with this ol' LV)

miacostigan

Nov 30, 2012
I just recently acquired this 14 year old speedy 30. She is in great condition for her age and is just wonderful, except for a zipper that had been changed. My other concern is the patina. I personally think it's wonderful, I love the color, however I am not crazy about the obvious contrast between the top of the handles and the bottom, where is is still a lighter color. See?

$T2eC16hHJH8E9qSEYO+)BQusq9ItMw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJFMFCg8cI6yfBQusrP7E3Q~~60_12.JPG

I was possibly considering (don't shoot me!) using olive oil on the bottom less-patinad areas in order to hopefully create a more even look. I'd read olive oil helps patina LVs. What are the general rules for this... is all patina good, and it should never be messed with? I know it gives bags originality, but I want to know what you think.

FYI, just make sure there is no cracking in the leather where the zipper is ...LV will not replace any hardware or do any repairs if the leather canvas is cracked.

Well it sounds like this is simply a case of patina gone wrong, and unless I want to dish out some cash to replace it I'm fresh out of luck. I don't mind though, I still think for 14 years old it looks amazing, and I'm super happy with the purchase :smile: