What are the drawbacks for providing a copy of the receipt?

coachfreak

Looking for LVOE
Oct 27, 2007
Hi all-

I do not promise a receipt on my eBay auctions because often they have many items on them and I don't want my payment info given out. However, considering all that I buy at Coach I also don't want someone taking a copy of the receipt to Coach and for any reason they say they bought the bag off eBay from me in case they flag crap like that.

Someone that wants to buy my bag wants a copy of the receipt.

Any thoughts?

Personally, and this is me here, I wouldn't submit it. If they want it for authenticity purposes, I would just scan a copy of the receipt into the computer and then e-mail a jpg to them. I have done this once and it seemed to work out just fine.

I honestly don't think other than authenticity why anybody would want/need a copy of the original receipt. It isn't necessary. If they actually are questioning authenticity, then don't purchase it from you and move on to the next auction.

Especially for the reason you submitted above—you're concerned with the buyer attempting to return it to a Coach store/outlet and in turn, affecting you future purchases from them. I hear that they flag this sort of activity and it isn't worth it.

JMHO.

I've provided the original, with all personal information blacked out, IF it was the only thing on the receipt.

I've also provided a copy of the original (marked COPY) if there are other items on the receipt. Again with all personal information blacked out.

Another thought (because I know what you mean about Coach & flagging of accounts) would be to put a mark through any type of bar code on the receipt so it can't be traced back to you.

I would definetly not provide them with the original receipt, at best I would give them a scanned copy with COPY watermarked across it too. I've always refused to give original receipts out with my bags, I've always been afraid that the buyer would be a scammer and try to return the bag to the store or try to use the receipt to obtain personal payment info or something.

Thanks everybody... I think I will just pass. I think it is very clear from the pics it is authentic, but I can't see another reason that they would want a copy of the receipt other than to "prove" authenticity.

I just really don't want a receipt that can in any way be tied to me out there in the hands of a buyer on eBay.

One more reason a buyer would want a reciept - to attach it to a fake bag they want to sell.

FYI, the last time I shopped at Coach (in Houston, about a month ago) I got a gift reciept, along with my original reciept. Didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me.

One more reason a buyer would want a reciept - to attach it to a fake bag they want to sell.

FYI, the last time I shopped at Coach (in Houston, about a month ago) I got a gift reciept, along with my original reciept. Didn't ask for it, they just gave it to me.

Yea, I am always purchasing for myself or occasionally a friend so I never bother with the gift receipts and since I usually go to the same outlet/boutique they don't even ask me anymore :smile:

Because of the return thing though I don't even want to send an eBayer a gift receipt that can be tied to my Coach purchases.

Probably being paranoid... but I don't want to get that dreaded reseller/refund letter from Coach saying I am no longer welcome.

HI all-

I just sold the bag to someone else with higher feedback and didn't need to provide a receipt (which I did find after 2 hours of digging in all the places I keep my receipts).

Thanks for the advice

I only send a copy of the receipt if it is requested. I will black out my info and sometimes prices as well. I NEVER send the original because if there is ever a claim of authenticity against you, you may need it.

HI all-

I just sold the bag to someone else with higher feedback and didn't need to provide a receipt (which I did find after 2 hours of digging in all the places I keep my receipts).

Thanks for the advice

I'm so glad it worked out. IMO, I wouldn't even offer the receipt in your auctions in the future. Too much of a headache.