What are the consequences of using older styles?

AL10

Nov 19, 2018
I just wanted to get your opinions on the social consequences of using bags from older collections. I am not only referring to what some might consider vintage bags but here's an example.

I have two small hobo black leather bags by Coach. The styles are 8A01 and 9541. They are identical in contour and style but one has slightly softer leather with tassels. Every time I consider getting rid of these bags, there's just something that prevents me from dumping them.

After all they are in perfect condition, one was hardly used, they are classic, they are simple, they are elegant, and they can be used for just about any occasion. The only design disadvantage is they will not easily freely stand but they are slouchy with flexible contour and will stand with contents.

What comes to mind when you see this particular bag being carried? Do you associate this bag with outdated style? Do you assume the carrier must be middle aged or above? Do you feel the style is bland and boring? Do you find this bag to be cute and subtle?

Coach
Style 8A01
Small Hobo Black Soft Leather
zP8wVz1hkztK.jpg

Last edited:
I would probably think “wow, those are in amazing shape for their age” and then think nostalgically about a time when outlets produced quality. Then I would likely be distracted by something else shiny.

I don’t think there are any social consequences attached to wearing a particular bag. If someone is going to judge you over what bag you are carrying, let them. It says nothing about you and everything about them.

Wear what you love. Quite honestly, if more people would return to perfectly good, beautiful bags, we wouldn’t have such a disposable culture and probably all be a littler happier with our choice as they would have history and a story.

Although, you say one was hardly used and I can see a tag on the pic. I wouldn’t sell them. There isn’t a market for these right now and you would get next to nothing.

The one in the picture is new with tags. The other one mentioned is similar and slightly used but not shown. They sell new with tags second hand for between $35 and $60.

I would probably disagree with the idea that few take note of what you are carrying. I have seen many times where compliments have been extended to other bags which tells me the public does pay attention.

Maybe not to the point of knowing how old the bag is but that probably depends on bag experience.

Last edited:
No consequences. My question is are you sure you like the bag? Sounds like you are unsure.

I like the bag because of the qualities mentioned above. The bag is not world class but the leather is buttery, the contour is perfect, the color is universal, and the bag can work for different purposes.

It was just an example from an older collection. It's not going to turn heads as it's a simple classic design. Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject.

Reactions: chessmont
unless you're around people who are really into bags, I doubt anyone would know they are older. Most of the people who compliment my bags don't know what they are. They just think they're nice. Most of the compliments I get from people who know fashion are SAs in the store.
I recently bought a bag (in like-new condition) that is about 7 or more years old. I'm not young but I have seen young women carrying this bag. So I'm not really worried that carrying a past season bag is making me look old.
If you still like the bags, enjoy them. If you don't feel like carrying them, then don't.

I like the bag because of the qualities mentioned above. The bag is not world class but the leather is buttery, the contour is perfect, the color is universal, and the bag can work for different purposes.

It was just an example from an older collection. It's not going to turn heads as it's a simple classic design. Just wanted to get some opinions on the subject.

Then you should wear it and enjoy.

I just wanted to get your opinions on the social consequences of using bags from older collections. I am not only referring to what some might consider vintage bags but here's an example.

I have two small hobo black leather bags by Coach. The styles are 8A01 and 9541. They are identical in contour and style but one has slightly softer leather with tassels. Every time I consider getting rid of these bags, there's just something that prevents me from dumping them.

After all they are in perfect condition, one was hardly used, they are classic, they are simple, they are elegant, and they can be used for just about any occasion. The only design disadvantage is they will not easily freely stand but they are slouchy with flexible contour and will stand with contents.

What comes to mind when you see this particular bag being carried? Do you associate this bag with outdated style? Do you assume the carrier must be middle aged or above? Do you feel the style is bland and boring? Do you find this bag to be cute and subtle?

Coach
Style 8A01
Small Hobo Black Soft Leather
zP8wVz1hkztK.jpg

The style looks a little dated with the contrasted white stitching over black. Not that there's anything wrong with it -- it's simply not an "in" look now. But give it a few years, and it'll look ahead of the fashion curve again. ;)

Depending on your entire outfit, the wearer of this bag can look young or old. I can imagine rocking this bag style with a plain top, jeans, black heeled boots!

But generally, if I were to see someone carrying this bag, I'd think they have good taste because the leather and stitching looks to be of quality.

Hope that helps!

Actually, I wholeheartedly disagree with people who claim that others don't have time for analyzing what you might be wearing. I do it every time I go out. I find it quite fun to figure out what handbags I see in the wild! :P Some people do that with cars, other do that with jewelry or clothing... I do that with handbags.

In any case, to answer your (somewhat strange) question, it really depends on what social circles you belong to and where you live. Do people close to you care about the latest handbag trends? Do you want to be perceived as "on trend"? Do you care what people think about your handbags (clearly the answer is yes from this post)? This bag looks fine but I can't say it's a head turner.

If you don't wear it, sell it or donate it and then buy something that you will wear often!

Actually, I wholeheartedly disagree with people who claim that others don't have time for analyzing what you might be wearing. I do it every time I go out. I find it quite fun to figure out what handbags I see in the wild! :P Some people do that with cars, other do that with jewelry or clothing... I do that with handbags.

In any case, to answer your (somewhat strange) question, it really depends on what social circles you belong to and where you live. Do people close to you care about the latest handbag trends? Do you want to be perceived as "on trend"? Do you care what people think about your handbags (clearly the answer is yes from this post)? This bag looks fine but I can't say it's a head turner.

If you don't wear it, sell it or donate it and then buy something that you will wear often!
I look at people's bags too....but I don't think most people pay much attention. As you said, depends on what social circles OP travels in

My best friend of many years has carried a ratty old green leather cross body bag for as long as I can remember. I wouldn’t even donate that thing, let alone carry it. She casts shade on my mobile which is as unsmart as can be and at least 10 years old. There are no consequences (except sometimes I have to text back to say - you’re going to have to email that I can’t open it on my phone!). But really, none of it matters.

And one other thing - one of the best things I’ve found about getting older is when you realise people outside your circle of family and friends don’t really give a sh**. They might notice, they might gossip for a bit, but they don’t actually care, and that knowledge is very freeing! So, if you like it, buy it, wear it, enjoy it.

I remember how NICE that Coach leather was! What a timeless style and when it works for you and makes you happy that's the important part. There's something I've always loved about older leather Coach bags.

I just got myself an older Miu Miu bow bag (big maybe like 10 years ago?) and I couldn't be happier.