What are some of your unpopular Chanel opinions?

I am weirdly infatuated with Chanel costume earrings, esp the CC studs. They are so pricey now for what they are, but i cant seem to enjoy wearing anything else. So far, with careful usage, i find that they can last well for a few years. I wont dare to say decades yet like the fine jewellery. Probably not? But their price tag is also lower than their FJ.

It is not that i dont enjoy fine jewelleries, i do. In fact, all of my other items like rings, bracelets necklaces are all FJ. Its just the earrings that i stray

My unpopular opinion: many bags at Chanel, especially the brightly colored ones with lots of charms on the chain and the heart-shaped bag, remind me of bags you can find at Claire's

Edit: just went a few pages and saw a few said similarly to me - whoops!
And I just realized from several earlier posts that the leather is not the same as the old original bags but is some kind of bonded leather that doesn't wear well at all. I was shocked.

And I just realized from several earlier posts that the leather is not the same as the old original bags but is some kind of bonded leather that doesn't wear well at all. I was shocked.

I don't think all the leather is, I think only some lines. Online discussion doesn't mean it's completely accurate imho.
I've never had a purchase with quality issues or didn't smell of leather.

I agree, I don't like the heart dangle bags, they look adolescent and too novelty to me!

My unpopular opinion: many bags at Chanel, especially the brightly colored ones with lots of charms on the chain and the heart-shaped bag, remind me of bags you can find at Claire's

Edit: just went back a few pages and saw a few said similarly to me - whoops!
Funny, I was just going to post the same about the recent seaonal styles, but I hesitated. You took the words out of my mouth, LoL

Reactions: Swanky
I don't think all the leather is, I think only some lines. Online discussion doesn't mean it's completely accurate imho.
I've never had a purchase with quality issues or didn't smell of leather.

I agree, I don't like the heart dangle bags, they look adolescent and too novelty to me!
Bonded leather is part real leather, as far as I understand -- it should smell of leather.

Reactions: Swanky
Bonded leather is part real leather, as far as I understand -- it should smell of leather.
My comment was that it might be some, not all or not even most. A lot of the recent discussion sounds pretty absolute, as if all the leather has changed. I’m reading and open to learning… and also taking everything with a grain of salt. I don’t necessarily believe all I read online.

My unpopular opinion:

Wearing the CC brooches on clothing or accessories that are not Chanel, in my opinion, only makes it look as like you are trying to make the specific piece you put it on appear to be Chanel. Sorry. :hrmm:
I guess it depends on the type of brooch. I have various brooches that are not the standard CC brooches and I wear them not to suggest I am wearing Chanel, but because I like how they look on my, e.g, coat. In fact, you'd have to have your face on my chest lol to see the cc on them.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Unpopular opinion: I love the older chanel brooches, but not the CC ones.
i love chanel costume jewelry but it never looked right on me, so I stopped buying it

Unpopular opinion: I also rarely wore them at all bc I was afraid to damage expensive RTW

My favorite one of all time was posted on TPF by @Comfortably Numb
I think it was a picture that combined the brooch with seaman schepps and David Webb earrings

I don’t know what she wore them with, but a coat, with its sturdier fabric, seems like a reasonable contender
(NOT my chanel boucle coat which is one of my most expensive RTW to date that is not leather or fur lol

someone on TPF posted a chanel brooch on a knit cap. It was a really cute look

@Swanky , re the bonded leather issue, IMO, if the customer loves the bag and can afford it, just wear and enjoy, whether it’s boucle, bonded leather or other. But know that chanel is a fashion house, not a luxury leather house, so don’t expect it to be pristine forever. (another unpopular opinion lol).

I also think, the older vintage bags are in such good condition bc people treasured them, and kept them for special occasions. I don’t think someone who owned one CF in those days would have used it as a beater everyday bag with dark wash denim.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: I love the older chanel brooches, but not the CC ones.
i love chanel costume jewelry but it never looked right on me, so I stopped buying it

Unpopular opinion: I also rarely wore them at all bc I was afraid to damage expensive RTW

My favorite one of all time was posted on TPF by @Comfortably Numb
I think it was a picture that combined the brooch with seaman schepps and David Webb earrings

I don’t know what she wore them with, but a coat, with its sturdier fabric, seems like a reasonable contender
(NOT my chanel boucle coat which is one of my most expensive RTW to date that is not leather or fur lol

someone on TPF posted a chanel brooch on a knit cap. It was a really cute look

@Swanky , re the bonded leather issue, IMO, if you love the bag and can afford it, just wear and enjoy. But know that chanel is a fashion house, not a luxury leather house, so don’t expect it to be pristine forever. (that is probably also an unpopular opinion lol). I also think, the older vintage bags are in such good condition bc people treasured them, and kept them for special occasions. I don’t think someone who owned one CF in those days would have used it as a beater everyday bag with dark wash denim.
Funny you mention this... I just came across the matching necklace (did not even know it existed!) but have become a permanent Ban Islander so I don't know if I'll spring for it ha

• Love
Reactions: 880