what are chanel pearls made of?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi ladies,
    i know that the pearl necklaces are part of costume jewelry....
    but what are the pearls made of?
    tia

2. I was told glass...but maybe I was misinformed.

3. They are not fresh water pearl, are they?

4. ^ Definitely not, perfectly round pearls (even freshwater) are pricey to begin with, and if Chanel pearl strands are made with real pearls I'm sure they would cost more than $3000 because you also have to incorporate the cost of the brand name on the product...not to mention pearls the size of Chanel pearls are very, very rare.

I would assume they are made of coated plastic...maybe resin?

5. they are 100% glass, so they can chip ... so i send mine in for maintenance every now and then~

6. Ohhh right, I think a TPFer made a thread about chipped pearls last month...

7. where do you send them to get maintenance? what do they do w/them? is it the "peeled paint" ?

8. too much to pay for faux pearl necklace that chips, no?

9. To some.
    But the scattered logo & iconic charms that are usually on costume jewelry can really make a whole different look then just a "pearl necklace"...It just depends on if you want real pearls or a necklace that is a little more "fun". I don't usually wear a ton of "real" jewelry daily or casually...the costume jewelry is fun but yes expensive. I have a few pieces and have not had any trouble at all with them. So I guess it just depends.

I have real pearls as well, but I guess it just depends on what suits my mood or outfit better at the time. I can honestly say I don't wear my reals pearls much.

10. I agree, I would rather spend money on a strand of Akoya pearls.

11. it's made of glass beads w/coating, it's more of a fun piece.

12. I have 2 pairs of Chanel pearls. they are a coated glass, I love the look they give to an outfit, sometimes its all you need, they are over priced , but a great investment because they are classic and iconic.

13. ITA- I love the great dash of Chanel they add to an outfit. They really stand out and are a little more unexpected than regular pearls. Yes, they are pricey, so if you like the multi-strand look, I think the best way to go is to buy the timeless classic strand and wear them with another strand of non-Chanel pearls. I'm actually looking for a non-Chanel pair to match with my timeless strand, so if anyone has any advice, please let me know!