What am I doing wrong?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Whenever I paint my nails it chips the next day. Is there some kind of base or top coat that prevents chipping to happen so early? I usually use Sinful Colors as my usual polish. I don't use a base coat and I used Insta Dry as my top coat. Please give me some help, thanks!

2. I use a base and Seche Vite top coat. My nail polish lasts for almost a week.

3. Wow! Even when you shower it stays on without chipping at all? My biggest peeve is when I start to chip so I just do my nails all over.

4. I found out about the Seche Vite here on the tpf. It has been a godsend for my nails.

5. I use Dior base coat (long lasting protective nail base) the best I ever tried I use it for almost a decade. Top coat is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear. I wish I could get hard as diamonds, I've heard it is really effective.
    My polish lasts for about a week.

I think you need a base and you need a good top coat, the instant dry is not doing you any favors, I used one some time ago and yes it chips really quick.
    A trick I was told is to apply another hand of thin top coat every 2 days.

6. you need a base and a good topcoat, though they don't have to be expensive ( I use rimmel) and another important thing is: after you remove your nailpolish or before you do your nails, wipe them with alcohol!!! most nailpolishremovers have oil in them, but the nail has to be oil-free for the polish/base to adhere properly. if you don't have alcohol or don#t want to use it just wash your hands with a liquid soap (soap-bars are greasy) and don't use a handcream till you finished your manicure.

7. I love seche vite. try it.

8. I used opi base coat and inm Out The Door top coat and it keeps my polish good for a few days.

9. i use opi chip skip, creative nails sticky base coat and seche vite top coat, My nails last about 4-5 days before chipping.

10. you really should use a base coat - that helps the colours stay much better. I use the nfu oh aqua base coat and the sally hansen insta-dri top coat with a sinful colors polish on my toes and it usually lasts about a week before I get any chipping at all.

11. I use Orly products, they're reasonably priced (get great deals/coupons throughout year with Sally's card). I use their "Bonder" as a basecoat, then apply another thin coat after the nail color. Then I use their "Won't Chip" as my topcoat. I swear by these products. I generally do my nails weekly, but have gone almost 2 weeks with no chips and manicure still looking decent, only redoing my nails due to nail growth near cuticle showing (my nails grow really fast!).

12. I use OPI base and top coat and OPI polishes - my manicure lasts almost a week.

13. Definitely wear a base coat - it will help but i have massive probs with this and have to do my nails regularly. I was told by a beautician that my nail bed has a lot of natural oils in it which repels polish and glues - i cant wear false nails. They come off after a couple of days. So maybe you have this too? A base does help though.

14. I use OPI base coat and top coat. I don't recommend the base coat at all (I still get major staining from dark polishes), but the top coat is excellent. I don't usually do my nails but my pedicure lasts 3+ weeks looking great.

15. I know recently in the NOTD thread we were talking about making sure you use a base coat & top coat that are B3F if the polish you are using is... apparently mixing B3F and non-B3F polishes and top/bottom coats don't always help the polish stay long...