What advice would you give your 17-year-old self?

Stepforded

May 19, 2014
I would tell me to:
  • Stay at school until the end, and then go to University and study marketing
  • Don't be in such a hurry to grow up
  • Stop worrying about the future - it'll all be okay!
  • Don't give too much thought to what others might be thinking or saying about you
  • Spend more time with your friends

Pick your own career, but figure out how to make money doing it.

Be interested in everything.

Be interested in other individuals and what makes them tick.

Think before you post. Think before you post.

Try to understand everyone's POV, especially the ones that are different from your own.

Learn how to build a house. Or at least remodel one.

EVERYBODY changes the world.

Start your personal growth path as soon as you finish school. Read, Read, Read. And listen.

1. Don't be afraid of failure. And embarrassment. They mean nothing in the face of death (taken from Steve jobs). There's no reason not to follow your heart. And don't listen to your mother! There's a reason why she ain't rich!

2. Don't study engineering just because everyone thinks a girl 'cant' do engineering, just to prove them wrong. Study economies, business, marketing.

3. Don't waste your time on boys your age now. Your time is too precious to waste on babysitting. One day you will meet a real man.

4. Prioritize your time on family. Nothing else is as important.

5. Do not sacrifice your own happiness just to make people happy. They don't care and don't appreciate anyway.

1. Don't be afraid of failure. And embarrassment. They mean nothing in the face of death (taken from Steve jobs). There's no reason not to follow your heart. And don't listen to your mother! There's a reason why she ain't rich!

2. Don't study engineering just because everyone thinks a girl 'cant' do engineering, just to prove them wrong. Study economies, business, marketing.

3. Don't waste your time on boys your age now. Your time is too precious to waste on babysitting. One day you will meet a real man.

4. Prioritize your time on family. Nothing else is as important.

5. Do not sacrifice your own happiness just to make people happy. They don't care and don't appreciate anyway.
Solid advice that many who are over 17 could use as well :smile:

Hm... this is a tricky one.

Probably spend as much time with my family as I can and not be so concerned about friends. I'm 23 now and all the "best"friends I thought I had in high school I no longer talk too. My parents are my best friends ;)

1) Finish school ASAP in something marketable, you can always go back to study something you love once you have a proper job.
2) Enjoy summer vacations while you can! Grown ups don't get as much time off, and you'll miss all those weeks of fun and waking up late
3) You're so much prettier and cuter than you think, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. One day, you'll be looking back at how you look right now and regretting how bad you felt about yourself.
4) Go to as many concerts as you can. Ticket prices keep going up, and the bands you loved that always had general admission tickets? They'll be playing in arenas with assigned seats one day, and you'll never be that close to your music idols again.
5) Don't be so trusting of boyfriends. The bad ones know just how to manipulate people, and they won't spare you either. Be careful with your heart and just have fun.
6) Life will get better! It can feel so depressing and hopeless when you're young, but it will be better when you're older, I promise.
7) Don't be so judgmental of people that like different music than you, or that dress differently than you do. Superficial stuff like that is the least important thing about people, and you're going to miss out on so many cool people if you judge them on stupid things.

Finish college. If I had known what a difference having a college degree was going to make in my lifetime earnings I might have slowed down and applied myself to college. As it was I went for 1 year and dropped out to go to beauty school. If I had looked into that I would have found that I would spend 1 1/2 years in school (2000 hours) to get a license for a job that only paid me $100 a week to start out. I could have gone to secretarial school for 4 months and come out making more money.

I was in a hurry to grow up and move as far away from my old fashioned parents and the memories of a date rape that happened when I was 16. I got my cosmetology license, worked in a salon for a year and then moved to Honolulu when I was 20.

I was really lost when I graduated from high school as to what to become. I ended up becoming an accountant by my mid twenties but that was just luck. Still the lack of a degree definitely hurt my career.

I would also tell my young self to stay away from married men.