What 5 handbags should every woman own?

Bella Luna

Aug 3, 2006
Ladies,

Been thinking about this recently as I was building my collection. Rather happy with it but would be very interested to hear what you think... What 5 handbags that are timeless and classic that you think every woman should own?
:graucho:

This is my belief. (Even tho' I don't own them all)

1 - Chanel Flap
2 - Hermes Kelly
3 - Croc Clutch
4 - Something "Slouchy & Fun" like Hayden Harnett or RM
5 - Some kind of huge woven bag for the beach!

Here goes:
1. LV Mono Speedy 25 or 30 (can be dressed up or down, for a daily bag).
2. Some sort of gorgeous black scrumptious clutch (for dates).
3. A Hermes Birkin (or if you can't afford that, an LV Damier Alma), for a work bag.
4. A gorgeous slouchy hobo bag in beautiful leather, preferably black or tan.
5. A beautiful red or turquoise bag for a pop of color (I'm looking for something gorgeous in red!).
6. (I added a number, sorry!) A cross body bag for hands free shopping. (I like the Sak Silverlake convertible crossbody clutch in black, the dressier one with the golden brass hardware since it fits flat against the hip and doesn't pouch out). It also can be folded and turned into a clutch.

Last edited:
Regardless of brand, here are the 5 i think every woman should own
1. small/meduim cross-body bag
2. wristlet/clutch/pochette
3. handheld bag with waterproof fabric or coated leather
4. a tote that zips closed
5. a bag with a nice leather (lambskin, goatskin, or exotic)

YSL tribute tote
coated canvas tote or hobo (LAMB, LV, etc)
something trendy funky, like a MBMJ
Judith Leiber minaudiere
something in exotic skin (pony hair, snakeskin, fur, etc)

This kind of question comes up a lot on tPF and many responses are predictable. Classic styles and shapes are available from many brands, yet the same brands are noted over and over again.

Personally, I would never say that there is specific bag, brand, or type of bag that every woman should own. For example, while many people seem to believe that a handheld bag like the LV Speedy is essential, many of us who favor shoulder bags would disagree. I have no use for a handheld bag, but if I did, I would never buy an LV Speedy.

The women I know are all different in terms of personality, style, and needs/wants. There is no such thing as 5 bags that all of them should own. It would be kind of sad if there was such a thing. I like that people are different.

Reactions: i_love_vinegar
ThisPersonally, I would never say that there is specific bag, brand, or type of bag that every woman should own. For example, while many people seem to believe that a handheld bag like the LV Speedy is essential, many of us who favor shoulder bags would disagree. I have no use for a handheld bag, but if I did, I would never buy an LV Speedy.

Me too, only shoulder bags for me and LV falls under one of those bags 'you wouldn't wear if you got it for free'. No Hermes for me either or Chanel Flap. :nogood:

The 5 bags I think every woman should own are what suits her individual needs and appeals to her sense of 'pretty'. A neutral type bag - brown, gray or black is nice to have and then a splash of color.

Linda

regardless of brand:
-small crossbody bag, preferably leather. I love those tooled vintage saddle bags from Mexico. I have a vintage brown Coach with brass hardware that I love and forget it's there, it's so small and light.
-zipped tote, as heavy duty and lightweight as you can get one. I carry an LL Bean but have been shopping for something new as I have had it for years and I'm sick of it. I like Lesportsac a lot - it's so light and durable. Herve Chapelier seems great, too. Longchamp seems too flimsy to me, and gets too dirty too quickly unless you get black. I carry lunch, magazines, newspapers, groceries, whatever in this type of bag.
-evening clutch. I love vintage Judith Lieber. Anything black and sparkly and well made will last you years, and will go with everything. Alternatively you can get a classic little Chanel flap -- so easy to dress up or down.
-an everyday bag in both black and brown (2)

after those 5, branch out into fun colors!! I'm looking for the perfect kelly green bag right now.

This kind of question comes up a lot on tPF and many responses are predictable. Classic styles and shapes are available from many brands, yet the same brands are noted over and over again.

Personally, I would never say that there is specific bag, brand, or type of bag that every woman should own. For example, while many people seem to believe that a handheld bag like the LV Speedy is essential, many of us who favor shoulder bags would disagree. I have no use for a handheld bag, but if I did, I would never buy an LV Speedy.

The women I know are all different in terms of personality, style, and needs/wants. There is no such thing as 5 bags that all of them should own. It would be kind of sad if there was such a thing. I like that people are different.

I agree, but also think that a woman should at one point in her life own:
1. Chanel flap
2. Hermes birkin
3. Marc Jacobs blake (very biased about this one :P)

I agree, but also think that a woman should at one point in her life own:
1. Chanel flap
2. Hermes birkin
3. Marc Jacobs blake (very biased about this one :P)

You agreed and then you put Chanel and Hermes on your list! :noggin:

I have no interest in the first two and I stick by my opinion that there is no bag out there that every woman should own.

Since you're biased about the MJ, I looked up the Blake to make sure I had the right bag in mind. I like that one more than the other two, but I still don't need or want one or think that I should have one. ;)