Western Union or Bank Wire Transfer?

itsonly4me

Oskar Waltz
O.G.
May 8, 2007
What is safer to accept as a seller? Western Union or Bank Wire Transfer??

I know these are both a no no as a buyer but if the buyer is willing to send, which is safer for me?

This is for a large amount and I want to be sure nothing can happen.

I know with bank wire transfer there is such thing as wire fraud and the funds could possibly be reversed. I think with western union, once they pick up the $$ there is nothing that can be done? (we have WU at my office and I feel more comfortable with this)

I would be accepting this TODAY so any advice ASAP would be great. Thank you!

^^^It was probably offered as an option to save the buyer money in potential PP fees........I sell very high dollar items all the time and people regularly use wire transfers.....not WU for me just because it is a PITA.

OP, I say feel out your buyer......ship with full insurance and tracking and do whatever is easiest.

Me personally, I would never use WU to BUY something but if your buyer does, I say use that since it is 100% not reversable.

I did not think you could WU a large amount of money though......

^^^It was probably offered as an option to save the buyer money in potential PP fees........I sell very high dollar items all the time and people regularly use wire transfers.....not WU for me just because it is a PITA.

OP, I say feel out your buyer......ship with full insurance and tracking and do whatever is easiest.

Me personally, I would never use WU to BUY something but if your buyer does, I say use that since it is 100% not reversable.

I'm confused. What fees would a buyer have to pay with PayPal?

I say Bank Wire transfer. It is safe and to my knowledge not reversible......I have been paid with it in large amounts and it was always safe for me.

One of my buyers was angry with me about some imagined slight and he could not reverse the transfer. He spoke French and very little English and vice versa for me. We got it worked out once I understood what his upset was.

Thanks Deekai (and Kristie). I am in a similar situation; the buyer is in Shanghai and it is for quite a lot of $$. I want to be sure I am protected, so you think wire transfer is fool proof? This is NOT an ebay transaction, but I am afraid if she pays with PP, she could then reverse it. She certainly seems to check out, I'm just paranoid.
I say Bank Wire transfer. It is safe and to my knowledge not reversible......I have been paid with it in large amounts and it was always safe for me.

One of my buyers was angry with me about some imagined slight and he could not reverse the transfer. He spoke French and very little English and vice versa for me. We got it worked out once I understood what his upset was.

Is this on eBay? Did you offer this payment option to the buyer? I'm just wondering why any buyer would request paying by WU.

Sorry long day at work.

Yes karmen this is ebay. She offered to pay this way because her paypal limit is not high enough. I didnt know there was a limit for buying??

Last edited:

Its not to avoid PP fees (I was OK with that) she said she didnt have a high enough limit.

Yes you can send well over 10k thru WU. :biggrin:

It seems as though shes getting a bit nervous now.. maybe she read this thread.:P