Western Collection

Aug 13, 2014
I picked up 2 handbags from the Dooney Western Collection in the recent ILD sale.
I have to say, I'm impressed with the leather and the quality of the handbags.
The designs are detailed and the leather is soft and thick. It has a waxy finish and
seems like a cross between Alto and Florentine leather.... generally fine grained with
some minor pebbling.

I'm choosing to view the horseshoe design as good luck symbols.
The studs are nicely done, and flat against the surface of the handbags.
The tab closure is much easier to use than the round knob on Alto or vintage bags.
And the buckle detailing on the strap is beautiful.

I'm overlooking the lining pattern. I prefer a solid or woven lining in a medium light color.
But Dooney didn't ask for my opinion.
I don't know why I ordered these handbags. Maybe the presentations wore me down
and the sale prices were so good. I shop when I'm happy, so it's a good sign.

Did anyone else order anything from the Western collection?

Reactions: Aliluvlv
It's good to hear you are happy! Enjoy the shopping. I didn't realize the leather was a cross between the Alto and Florentine collections. I have enough Florentine, and started collecting Alto exclusively the last several years.

I just checked on an Alto bag I have on my wish list, and it is $4.00 more than the last time I checked. Fingers crossed the July 4th sale may have it a little cheaper. I purchased several jackets in the end of season sales, and I am feeling extra cheap about handbags, after spending money on jackets I really do not need.

Enjoy your new bags and thanks for the tip about the leather.

It's good to hear you are happy! Enjoy the shopping. I didn't realize the leather was a cross between the Alto and Florentine collections. I have enough Florentine, and started collecting Alto exclusively the last several years.

I just checked on an Alto bag I have on my wish list, and it is $4.00 more than the last time I checked. Fingers crossed the July 4th sale may have it a little cheaper. I purchased several jackets in the end of season sales, and I am feeling extra cheap about handbags, after spending money on jackets I really do not need.

Enjoy your new bags and thanks for the tip about the leather.
G.Allyn: Which Alto bag has your attention now? I haven't seen any styles that call to me in
a long time. But maybe that's a good thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed you find the handbag
you want at a great price in one of the upcoming sales.

Hello!

Thanks lavenderjunkie, that is so kind of you. Actually, I am looking for the Alto Ella in the dark grey. I wish the zipper was not in a contrasting color, but this is minor. I have another one and it is a great small bag to have on the run. I have a few D&B crossbody bags that have quite a bit of room, and wanted something as a size alternative. I don't usually go for a shoulder bag, but I have a few to have a little variety in my handbag wardrobe.

I am being cheap. I have so many D&B bags that still have the tags on and have cut back the last year or so. I paid $166.00 for my first Ella and I was hoping to do a little better this Summer. The July 4th sale might have some good prices. Again, thanks!

A few good Alto styles this Autumn would get me back to buying.

G.Allyn: I'll post if I see any Alto sales on the Ella or other small bags.
And don't forget to check ILD on ebay. Once in a while, they have a better
price than ILD main site.... I don't understand why, but it's been known to happen.
I got an Alto that way, and a few Dooney nylon items.

The handbags ship from ILD, the same, no matter which ILD site you order them
from. The only difference is the ebay site has no return form that I can find,
so you need to create your own UPS return label (if you do a return) and pay for
it up front.