we're getting a puppy!! look at pics!

^^^ because our last dog was of show quality, that's what my parents want. made for a great temperment. he was not whiney, too barky, or an annoying pain in the butt like some people describe beagles to be. they want a dog just like our last one. rescue shelters would have field dogs.

my friend told me once when picking out a puppy, pick up the puppy, hold it for a few minutes, put it down -let him play for a few minutes and then bend down to see which puppy comes back to you. the one that comes back is the one that's sold because he will be the MOST loyal dog!! hope this helps!!

The first puppies face is adorable. So innocent. The second puppy is still adorable but she looks a little mean and evil. Since you don't know their personality I would pick the 1st puppy.

I know what its like to pick a puppy and have a breeder sell it to someone else. Ugh that situation still makes me angry! So make sure you pick your pup fast.

Let us know which cutie you pick.

Lol I understand your indecisiveness for this one. These two are sooooo cute! The second little buddy looks like he's irritated. It's adorable. Haha and the first one is just so innocent looking. So I don't know. I'd be sitting on the fence too.

I vote for #1 too - she just looks so sweet. But I love all beagles and #2 looks like she would definitely have a lot of personality!

And I can understand your wanting a show quality beagle at this point, but don't completely write off rescues for the future - perhaps for your next beagle! We have three rescue beagles and although definitely our third (Popcorn) is a field beagle with emotional baggage (and would probably fit your preconception of a rescue to a T), our second beagle (Moose) is nothing like that at all. I know I am biased, but we have also been told many times that he is an incredibly good-looking guy -(he has been on the cover of Dogs in Canada magazine and featured in a screen-saver where he licks the computer screen - both times we were approached by people out of the blue who were taken with how handsome he is...) and he really has no emotional baggage to speak of. So there are diamonds in the rough out there, even among rescues...

Good luck with the new puppy!

I love both puppies! The first one won my heart becuae I love her expression, but number two looks like she is full of personality. I can understand you wanting a show quality dog. I have always owned pugs and we were very careful to buy from reputable breeders. Good luck with your choice, please post lots of pics when you get her home.

The breeder should be able to do the tests for you and make a recomendation for your family. There are personality tests that breeders who register their dogs have to do and I would request the results of those to help you make your decision. They repeat them at different intervals during their development so it tells you how smart they are, a definite plus when it comes to training!;)

One is where they pull a blanket in front of the puppy to see if they notice or even chase it. That tells them how responsive your dog is to external influences and alertness. I'm sorry I can't remember more but you'll probably find more on a Kennel Club website.

These were some of the tests that our breeder did on her litters. My dog in my avatar ( an Irish Water Spaniel) came from her, his Grampa was a recurrent Champion, his dad was Canadian Champion three times and Finnigan's family has won numerous awards also.
As you can tell by the evil glint in Finnigan's eye, he just wants to have fun, but he learned the course for a superdogs event in one afternoon!

When we went to pick him up, we laughed because the breeder had tied a different coloured ribbon to each puppy's neck and told us ours had a green ribbon. We then went outside and Finnigan with his green ribbon ran straight to my older son, out of eight puppies! What are the odds!:lol:

My husband wanted to call him Guinness, but I said I be darned if I was going to stand on the back balcony and holler for a beer every morning!:roflmfao:

My husband wanted to call him Guinness, but I said I be darned if I was going to stand on the back balcony and holler for a beer every morning!:roflmfao:

:roflmfao: i'm not sure where you're from, but in philly there is a bar called finnigan's ;)

and my dad asked questions about responsiveness and playfulness, the breeder said he'd watch them and let us know. they are adorable, can't wait to go see her. i'm pretty sure my dad has his heart set on pup number one, she does just look so sweet. but look how lil pup number 2 is :smile: haha we want a smaller dog this time...jake was slightly over 15 inches which would have disqualified him from the show ring. he had champion bloodlines and we had to sign a waiver with that breeder saying if she wished she could show him, but because he was too tall she couldn't show him. we got lucky.

I vote for #1 too - she just looks so sweet. But I love all beagles and #2 looks like she would definitely have a lot of personality!

And I can understand your wanting a show quality beagle at this point, but don't completely write off rescues for the future - perhaps for your next beagle! We have three rescue beagles and although definitely our third (Popcorn) is a field beagle with emotional baggage (and would probably fit your preconception of a rescue to a T), our second beagle (Moose) is nothing like that at all. I know I am biased, but we have also been told many times that he is an incredibly good-looking guy -(he has been on the cover of Dogs in Canada magazine and featured in a screen-saver where he licks the computer screen - both times we were approached by people out of the blue who were taken with how handsome he is...) and he really has no emotional baggage to speak of. So there are diamonds in the rough out there, even among rescues...

Good luck with the new puppy!

def. not ruling out rescuing dogs. i'd love to one day.