Went to look at Bbags @ Saks

chanelissy

turn it upppp
O.G.
Feb 24, 2006
I went over to my local Saks, spotted the Balenciaga sign, bounded over to that section of the store, and for the first time held a Balenciaga city in emerald. I looked at the colors and decided with a friend that a black city:love: would be this bets option for me, because the bag would need to last me a longlonglong time and I'd prolly get the white city horribly horribly dirty!:sick:

Just a couple questions for those BBag experts out there--
I was expecting the leather to be buttery soft, and instead found it to be kind of waxy, and crinkly. Now, I know this is the 'new leather', but does the leather quality change that much if I wait to purchase till Fall '06? I really wanted the bag for summer, but would wait if there would be a huge difference. :amuse:
Also, I was suprised by the weight and feeleing of the handles. Do they eventually soften? Does the leather on the bag also soften? The SA on the floor couldn't answer for me because she said that this was their first season carrying Balenciaga.
Thanks for the help!

As far as I know, no one knows for sure that they are going back to the old leather for fall. Personally, I don't like the new leather, so if I were you and didn't want to wait, I would try to find one in the old leather. Have you tried ebay?

chanelissy, I was wondering the same things. I heard that the handles do soften up with wear but I'm not sure about the waxy leather. I'm sure the ladies here knows a lot about them

I am new to b-bags too, and just bought my first one (city in ink). I did a lot of research before, and had the same concerns. What I learned, nad please ladies correct me if I am wrong, is that the leather actually softens over time and becomes even more luxurious. The waxiness also gets better over time. So the longer you wear it, the better it becomes. Unlike many of the other designer bags, this is the one designer that I have yet to hear a complaint as to the quality and satisfaction over time. In fact, I've heard that once you buy one, you never go back! He he he he!

Chloe_concord said:
Which saks store is that? I never know saks carry Balenciaga bag:nuts:

Saks in Greenwich, CT!:biggrin: They had the city in emerald and ink, the first in white and emerald, and a few twiggys in an orange?

no one knows for sure that they are going back to the old leather for fall.--- is that true??
What I'm wondering is if the waxy leather eventually returns to the quality of the old leather. The difference is waxiness/crinkle?

chanelissy said:
no one knows for sure that they are going back to the old leather for fall.--- is that true??
What I'm wondering is if the waxy leather eventually returns to the quality of the old leather. The difference is waxiness/crinkle?

I don't see how the waxy leather could "return" to the quality of the old leather; they are two completely different leathers. You really have to see and feel an old bag to know what I mean, there is no comparison!

Tanja said:
I actually just received my first b-bag city in ink and the leather is totally soft even that it looks waxy it doesn't feel like it. I just love it!!

Aww, I'm glad you love it! I saw the ink when I was there, the purple undertones were gorgous! It's great to here a first-timer's opinion as well. I assume that you are content with the leather?

Off track, this is my 100th post! WOO-HOO!:P :nuts:

Congrats on your 100th post, Chanelissy! I have four B-bags but they are all from 2005 so they're all the "new" leather. I am very satisfied with the quality of my bags. I haven't had them all that long to let you know how they age over the years. I've had my cornflower City the longest ..... a couple of months. I use it quite a bit and haven't had any problems whatsoever. To date I have a cornflower City, rouge Twiggy, white Twiggy, and a pale rose Purse. They sure are additive! I don't think it is necessary to wait and see if they come out with the "old" leather. That's JMO.

Hi,
I have 2 B-bags, both made of the new leather...one from A/W05 and one from pre-spring 2006. It is offputting when you see the bags in the store because they do look waxy and stiff. BUT as you use the bag, it will soften and the waxiness will go away. My A/W05 bag is now a lovely shade of red with just the right bit of distressing. I think it also depends on what color you get...the waxiness may be more apparent in the darker shades, than in the lighter ones.