Well, I just saw something interesting at Sam's Club

There are also FN look-alikes at Target. My daughter pointed them out to me and we giggled about it since I was carrying a Tano FN at the time. They feel really plastic and just plain "icky".

^^I saw those at Target. They were very pleathery though, one would have to be blind to mistake those bags for leather. The ones i saw were red/black and black/black.

I too have witnessed this! I live in Arkansas....Sam's Club Capital and they are EVERYWHERE! They were stacked a mile high at Sam's this Saturday and A girl I work with came in sporting one yesterday! The bag looks exactly like a more rounded "French Nanny" and came in Red, Orange, Yellow and Blue....almost the exact same shades Tano put out. The wallet inside is a knock-off of Hobo International's Lauren Clutch. I will find some photos to post.

^^That's OK hon, it helps those of us who are too lazy to skip back to the first page to look at the pic!

Does anybody know how "split leather" wears and feels? Is it cardboard-like? Does it crack?

There are also FN look-alikes at Target. My daughter pointed them out to me and we giggled about it since I was carrying a Tano FN at the time. They feel really plastic and just plain "icky".

Good to know - now I can tell DH all of my new Tanos were purchased at Target...:roflmfao: He'll never know the difference!

Here's my best attempt to describe split leather:

Imagine a bag that, from a few feet away, looks like it's all leather. You touch it. It feels like leather. And that's because on TOP it is actually leather. But it's a very very very very thin bit of leather affixed to non-leather materials...ie: If you cut a slit in the leather part and then pulled on the slice the reinforced cloth (or whatever they used) underside would be exposed. It generally is not going to last because the leather layer is so thin. And it certainly won't stand up to a ton of wear.

Keep in mind that this layer of leather is actually from a piece of leather that was laid flat and then sliced in half through the middle.....like when you butterfly pork chops or a boneless chicken breast...hence split leather.

Also, since this is a cost reduction move by the manufacturer there is NO WAY this little leather layer is 'good' leather. Before I took the Bag Plunge I had a split leather bag I bought at Kohls. Carried it for a couple of months..... and then a pen that I had running around in there poked right through it! Just a plain ol' Bic stick pen....yep. Poked right thru. It was awesome. (sarcasm)

I hope this makes sense....those are my thoughts on split leather bags.

Last edited:
Great idea!!! :tup: I just tell mine I've had them for years (when I bought all black--"they all look like" (he says)). Now that I've branched out into colors, it's a little more difficult. I like your response though!! May work!

Good to know - now I can tell DH all of my new Tanos were purchased at Target...:roflmfao: He'll never know the difference!

Thanks for the explanation (I wondered about that too!)

Here's my best attempt to describe split leather:

Imagine a bag that, from a few feet away, looks like it's all leather. You touch it. It feels like leather. And that's because on TOP it is actually leather. But it's a very very very very thin bit of leather affixed to non-leather materials...ie: If you cut a slit in the leather part and then pulled on the slice the reinforced cloth (or whatever they used) underside would be exposed. It generally is not going to last because the leather layer is so thin. And it certainly won't stand up to a ton of wear.

Keep in mind that this layer of leather is actually from a piece of leather that was laid flat and then sliced in half through the middle.....like when you butterfly pork chops or a boneless chicken breast...hence split leather.

Also, since this is a cost reduction move by the manufacturer there is NO WAY this little leather layer is 'good' leather. Before I took the Bag Plunge I had a split leather bag I bought at Kohls. Carried it for a couple of months..... and then a pen that I had running around in there poked right through it! Just a plain ol' Bic stick pen....yep. Poked right thru. It was awesome. (sarcasm)

I hope this makes sense....those are my thoughts on split leather bags.