Welcome to New Members - Please read me FIRST, then Introduce Yourself!

jburgh

BV ~ Ferragamo ~ TODs
O.G.
Aug 17, 2007
Welcome to PurseForum!

There is a wealth of information here - styles, leathers, colours, member experiences with sellers, obtaining items, and reveals. We don't encourage shallow obsessing for nothing!

To that end, a few details that will make your membership here as much fun as possible.

We realize that because there is so much information, it can be a bit overwhelming at first. The search function is a great way to see if something has already been discussed, and to do some research. Please try to do a search before starting a new thread. There is a forum-wide search option at the top left of your screen. You can also search within the Hermes forum itself, or within threads.

There is no buying/selling/trading or offering to buy for others permitted here. So please do not ask to buy from other members or post links to items you may have for sale on other sites.

Members are happy to offer authentication but we do ask that you please only post in the authentication thread and read the first post so that you can post correctly and have your question answered in the most timely way.

We do ask that members treat each other respectfully at all times. If a particular member is someone whose posts you would prefer not to read, use the ignore feature. Click on the person's member name to the left of their posts. You will see a drop down menu. At the bottom, select "add (name of member) to ignore list."

Please use the report button (located at the bottom of everyone's avatar) if you feel that a member is posting spam, breaking the forum rules, or that the post should be handled by a moderator. Please don't confront other members - moderators are happy to step in and handle the situation.

Forum rules (and there aren't that many!) can be found here:

Information on how to post photos can be found here: [URL]

Most of all, have fun. And thanks for stopping by!

Your primer on BV and our BV forum follows. To make your visit here much more enjoyable, please take the time to read this as it contains details about how the BV forum is set up and great information for those new to BV.

If you have any questions at any time, please feel free to PM the BV Mod - jburgh.

Happy reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Do a Search!

Don't be scared of using the Search feature so you can find out if there is information already available BEFORE you post a new thread. You are welcome to post on threads already started.

If you cannot find what you are looking for and need to post a thread, please make your thread title specific and descriptive. Titles that are too general like "Help" or "New BV" will not assist others when they do a search, and may be edited by a mod to be more specific.

Please note that if a new thread is created and the exact inquiry appears several times in a search, you will be asked to conduct a search and the thread will be subsequently closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuzzVero
There is NO buying/selling/trading or soliciting for such allowed on tPF. If you are found to be doing so, your membership may be revoked. Additionally, you cannot offer to buy a bag for someone else.

Please do a search of completed listings on eBay to determine how to price your bag or your own judgement to determine how much you should pay for a specific bag.

If it appears that you may be soliciting for sales, a reminder may be posted on your thread and it may be closed. If you are looking for a bag that is out of production, please know that a reseller or eBay are pretty much the only sources.

Buying/Selling on tPF
Public selling/buying/trading is not permitted. Threads of WTS or WTB nature will be locked or deleted.
Soliciting your items for sale via Private Messages is prohibited.
Linking your own auctions is not permitted, in posts, signatures or otherwise. This includes eBay, Bonanzle, eCrater, iOffer and other auction-type sites.
Selling of personal items is only permitted in the invite-only Marketplaza. Instructions on how to gain access are posted here:http://forum.purseblog.com/news-and...tion-requirements-and-instructions-70788.html

Promoting your business & listings
Store/business promotions in form of signature or profile links are only permitted for well established members with 500+ posts and 3+ months of membership.
Soliciting via Private Messages or spamming the forums with links to your business is prohibited.
For advertising opportunities, please contact an Administrator.

Breaking any of the above listed forum rules can result in the loss of posting privileges and loss of your Purse Forum account. We also reserve the right to ban any user, at any time, and for any reason. The administrators frequently review forum messages for those that are in violation of PF rules. Any messages found to be in violation will be deleted without warning or explanation. We reserve the right to edit, reprint, distribute, or delete any posting for any reason and without prior notification or explanation to the author.

Bottega Veneta 101 In process, please be patient...

Q. What is a short history of the brand? (from the Wikipedia)
Bottega Veneta was launched by Vittorio and Laura Moltedo in 1966.
However interest in the brand declined during the 1990s so in 2000, the Moltedos brought in British designer Giles Deacon to shake up the languishing house. Under Deacon the company launched a successful line of Ready-To-Wear clothing, but in July 2001 Tom Ford persuaded Gucci Group to buy Bottega Veneta. Ford moved Deacon to Gucci womenswear, and German-born designer Tomas Maier took over at Bottega Veneta. With Gucci's support, Bottega Veneta has reclaimed its leading position in the luxury leather goods market.

From Wikipedia: “In June 2018, Kering appointed Daniel Lee as creative director of Bottega Veneta,[8] to give a new impetus to the Italian luxury fashion house and develop its ready-to-wear collection.[1] His agenda also included rebooting the men’s ready-to-wear collection and launching a home collection.[2]

Daniel Lee maintained the team of artisans.[6] He preserved Bottega Veneta’s emphasis on well-crafted, logoless and simplicity-driven products.[7] To give a new look to Bottega Veneta, he inflated the Intrecciato designs to capitalize on the brand's most iconic features, and infused more hedonism/desirability in the brand's products.[9] He designed the Pouch clutch bag which became the fastest selling bag in the history of the brand.[5] Harpers Bazaar commented: Bottega Veneta has become one of fashion's most popular brands in 2019, thanks to its quiet, modern elegance reinterpreted by Lee.[10] His transformation of Bottega Veneta is coined “New Bottega”.[11][12] He was tagged "The Quiet Radical" by Vogue,[13] and “fashion’s new wonder boy” by Harper’s Bazaar.[1]”

Bottega Veneta is best known for its hand-woven leather goods - bags, belts, and shoes. They are all handcrafted in Italy and retail for €1000 or more. Current Bottega handbags typically boast clean lines, the softest Intreciatto woven leathers, and a classic palette. Major trends are nodded to (such as patent leather and studs in autumn 2007), but always in a toned-down, easy-to-wear way. They are generally only labelled on the inside, although under Deacon, the metalwork had small, subtle logos). Bottega Veneta’s approach is best summed up by a company slogan that loosely translates as "When your own initials are enough"

Maier's aesthetic for Bottega Veneta Ready-To-Wear is more understated and classical than Deacon's "high-octane, ultra-sexy" look. Lines are simple and clean, with ladylike silhouettes and (particularly for Spring/Summer collections) Greco-Roman inspired draping and folding predominating. The colour palette consists largely of light-toned neutrals and pastels for recent Spring/Summer collections, and black, neutrals and faded colours, such as reds and yellows for Autumn/Winter 2007–08.

Q. What is Intrecciato and how do I pronounce it?
Intrecciato, strictly translated to Italian means interlaced. It is the description for the woven style used in many BV bags. The base layer of leather has small slits cut throughout and then leather strips are woven through this. This makes for a bag that is beautifully even, that will slouch nicely but never look mis-shapened. Prounounced: IN-TRAY-CHEEAH-TOE.

Q. How often are BV collections released?
There are four "seasons", Spring/Summer (S/S) Pre-Fall (PF), Cruise/Resort, and Fall/Winter (F/W). S/S collection bags start arriving in the stores as early as very late December and throughout the first few months of the new year. Expect Pre-Fall to arrive in July/August . F/W collections usually start to arrive in stores September, October, and even as late as November. Cruise/Resort collections arrive in late November and throughout December. The release dates are somewhat fluid. It is not unusual to see a couple seasons at a time in the stores or boutiques. Catalogs are usually available from BV after the collections hit the boutiques.

Q. Does BV ever go on sale?
Yes! The BV boutiques hold two sales per year. The end of year sale begins in December and ends February 1st. The second may start as early as late June and is throughout the month of July. Classic styles do not go on sale at the boutiques. Seasonal styles do. Also you may find a LE style. The BV outlets have end of year sales, too. And of course, department stores that carry BV have their own seasonal sales where you will find classic as well as seasonal bags at a discount.

Q. What colors are produced every season?
The classic colors as of 2009 are Nero (black), Bianco (white), Ebano (milk chocolate brown), and Noce (walnut-hazelnut brown). There is some discussion that Ferro (a medium grey) will be added to the classic colors. In 2009 Noce was discontinued.

Q. Where can I find discontinued colors or styles?
Rarely do stores have old stock but generally, the BV outlets, eBay or consignment stores are the only places.

Q. What is a good choice for a first BV bag?
The most popular sizes are the medium and large Veneta.

Q. Please give me a quick rundown of the classic bags?
Veneta - The classic zippered hobo with an integral handle. This bag is available in 4 sizes: Asian, Medium, Large, and Maxi. It slouches beautifully after use.
Campana - A hobo style with double handles. There is an E-W inner strap that unfastens and serves as a closure. Available in two sizes, Medium and Large.
Roma - A larger three compartment satchel with a middle zip section. Strap/flap closure with hardware clasp. More businesslike in feel, and roomy.
Montaigne - The classic zippered double handled small boxy duffle style. Handles are adjustable and although usually hand carried, it may fit on your shoulder, depending on your size.
Pyramid - Another classic hobo with a zippered closure. With a boxy bottom like the Sloane, but more rounded like a Veneta. Currently has a single wider strap attached by oval hardware.
Cabat - Mr. Maier's iconic double handled tote. Conventionally woven, inside and out. Available in Asian, Medium, Large, and Uomo.
Sloane - A boxy single handled shoulder bag. The strap is wide like the Pyramid, but attached to woven leather covered hardware. This bag has an overlapping flap closure. While structured looking at first, it slouches wonderfully.
Knot - BVs iconic evening clutch. A small boxy design with rounded corners. It gets its name from the "Knot" closure at the top.
Ball or New Ball - A Hobo style with a single handle similar to the Pyramid. At one time the handle was integral to the bag, and there is talk it will return to that style again. The shape of the Ball is rounded at the corners and flatter than the Sloane or Pyramid. The corners have an interesting curved seam that is like a sideways letter "Y."

Q. What is the best kind of leather?
The most commonly used is nappa. It really comes down to the touch – when you touch the bag, does it make you happy? Check out the in-process leather guide: http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-...ence/bottega-veneta-leather-guide-418845.html

Q. Where is the authenticity tag?
The BV authenticity tag is small, rectangular and white . The logo is printed on one side, style and color information on the reverse. This tag is sewn into your bag, usually in a pocket. Sometimes it is difficult to find, but keep looking! The tag format was changes in 2012-2013 to a serial number. This new style can only be deciphered by a BV employee.

Q. What are these acronyms I see in posts?
BV = Bottega Veneta
SO = Stands for Special Order. Bottega Veneta will do special order bags for clients, however they must be an upgrade. For example, if you wanted a Copper bag that was made in Nappa (but not Copper), your leather would have to be an upgrade from Nappa to an exotic such as snake or croc.
HG = Holy Grail, or the most desired bag (varies with member)
LE = Limited Edition. Each year, BV produced limited quantities of some styles in unusual colors and materials. A metal plate inside the bag indicates the limited edition number.
LPM - Leopard Print Montaigne, a bag from 2008
PDP = Pied de Poule, a Cabat pattern from 2009
PO - Platino Ossidato, a color from 2008
tPFer - the Purse Forum member
WTS = Want to sell (these threads/posts not allowed)
WTB = Want to buy (these threads/posts not allowed)
IMO, or IMHO = Not specific to this forum but, "in my opinion" or "in my humble opinion."

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a format for Authenticating Bottega Veneta items. Hopefully this will be helpful to keep the threads easy to navigate, easy to respond to, and be an overall better for all involved.

Before you post in the Bottega Veneta "Authenticate This" thread you NEED to read the rules!!!! This will make it easier for EVERYONE and really make the chance of you getting your question answered much better.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about Bottega Veneta, please refer to our reference section for such information. Finally, do not submit requests for something that is obviously a fake, e.g. the item says it is a replica, or a $50 Montaigne.

Needed Pictures: Please make sure the item in question has clear close-ups of
1. all logos including those on hardware and pressed into leather
2. both sides of the authenticity tag
3. views of zippers and zipper pulls
4. views of the lining
5. outside views of all sides and bottom
6. views of hardware

shoes are hard to authenticate, but the more pictures the better.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item Name:
Listing number:
Seller name or ID:
Working Link:
Comments:

Here is an example I totally made up to illustrate the format:

Item Name: Bottega Veneta Roma NWT
Listing number: 123456789
Seller name or ID: idonotsellfakes
Working Link: http://www.blahblahblah
Comments: Please authenticate this bag, this is a new seller that I don't know. Thank you.

The format accomplishes the following:

1. Allows authenticators and requesters to see all information laid out in a clear and concise manner, upfront, without wading through links to find out information.

2. Allows requesters to easily see if the items have been previously requested, when doing a search. Searches will pick up item numbers, and this is what requesters should be searching for.

3. Allows both authenticators and requesters to mentally note important information, such as "That seller sells authentic" or "Seller XXXX is a problematic seller."

4. Reduces duplications of requests which clutters the thread and takes up unnecessary time and space.

5. Respects the personal time and effort authenticators take to answer requests.

Authenticators are not required to answer every request, and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
Authenticators may also request additional pictures and/or information in order to assist with authentication. Please remember, it is always useful to have several close up pictures when submitting an item for authentication.
Please do not intervene to confront a troll or rudeness on the boards, just use the REPORT function (button) to alert the mods, and let them handle it from there. In the meantime, just ignore the poster until a mod can intervene.
Always be respectful when you post and treat others as you expect to be treated. This is an open thread and everyone is welcome to participate.
Do NOT PM ("Start a Conversation)" an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests must be posted in this thread.

I hopes this helps. Thank you for your cooperation
PM me if you need further clarification.

Disclaimer:
All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and are not to be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration people or a moderator, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Blazed760
Introduce yourself! The old introduce yourself thread has been unstickied and closed If you need to find it go here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/threads/introduce-yourself.140691/

of the oldies want to reintroduce yourself, feel free..much has changed in several years.

Here is an example of the one Nymph posted in 2007:

Username: Nymph
Resides: Singapore
Occupation/ Industry: PR
Favorite brand:
- Clothes 3.1 Phillip Lim
- Bags Bottega Veneta and Balenciaga
Hobbies: Sleeping, Shopping, and surfing on tPF
Favorite drink: Champagne! And Coke Light for everyday :P
Favorite food: Sushi
Favorite TV show: The Gilmore Girls
Odd things about me: If it were possible, I can go for days without speaking to anyone :rolleyes:
Things that scare me: Sudden deaths
Current obsessions: The Great Singapore Sale and all the shopping to be done!

Last edited:
Username: jburgh
Resides: Pacific Northwest
Occupation/ Industry: Real Estate
Favorite brand:
- Clothes Nic & Zoe, Flax, Chalet, Eileen Fisher, and Tianello
- Bags Bottega Veneta, Tods ...right now, that is
Hobbies: Gardening, quilting, weaving, crafting, anything creative
Favorite drinks: Coffee, mango nectar, and water
Favorite food: Dim Sum
Favorite TV show: Currently it is Outlander & Star Trek: The Next Generation
Odd things about me: Oh, there is so much, sort of on the eccentric side
Things that scare me: Swimming in lakes or ocean (fear of sea monsters)
Current obsessions: Interchangeable bead bracelets Elfbeads, Trollbeads, Ohm, TrueBeadz, and artist beads

Hi, i'm a new member, let me introduce my self first:
Username: cupertino
Resides: Indonesia
Occupation/ Industry: Just a mom of 2 sons
Favorite brand:
- Clothes zara
- Bags Bottega Veneta
Hobbies: whatever i can do on my me time hehehe
Favorite drink: water
Favorite food: street food..asian food mostly my fave
Favorite TV show: dont watch tv too often hahaha
Odd things about me: i fall a sleep easily and can sleep for a very long hours
Things that scare me: losing my family
Current obsessions: BV medium Ardoise

Hi there! I'm a brand new member and a new BV enthusiast!
Username: misslissm
Resides: Portland, OR
Occupation/ Industry: Jewelry Designer
Favorite brand:
Shoes: Stuart Weitzman, Salvatore Ferragamo
Bags Bottega Veneta
Hobbies: Rockhounding, estate sale shopping
Favorite drink: Sparkling rose water
Favorite food: Anything with pesto
Favorite TV show: Orange is the New Black
Current obsessions: Authenticating estate sale finds

Welcome cupertino & Misslissm! Have fun here. The BV forum is very welcoming. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

cupertino - I wish I had your sleep "problem" I can never get to sleep
Misslissm - From one rockhound to another...are you as obsessed with spectrolite as I am?

Reactions: Vlad
Hi, i'm a new member, and I hope I'm posting this in the right place!
Username: Twodogsnacat
Resides: Nevada
Occupation/ Industry: K9 trainer/consultant
Favorite brand: Bottega Veneta and Balenciaga, and there's too many to list
Hobbies: gardening, painting, making jewelry, hiking, rock collecting, photography
Favorite drink: Gerolsteiner mineral water, Moscato d' Asti wine
Favorite TV show: The Walking Dead
Odd thing about me: I don't think there's enough room on here for me to answer that
Things that scare me: death of people and pets that mean the world to me
Current obsessions: anything sparkly, shiny and/or colorful

Hi, i'm a new member, and I hope I'm posting this in the right place!
Username: Twodogsnacat
Resides: Nevada
Occupation/ Industry: K9 trainer/consultant
Favorite brand: Bottega Veneta and Balenciaga, and there's too many to list
Hobbies: gardening, painting, making jewelry, hiking, rock collecting, photography
Favorite drink: Gerolsteiner mineral water, Moscato d' Asti wine
Favorite TV show: The Walking Dead
Odd thing about me: I don't think there's enough room on here for me to answer that
Things that scare me: death of people and pets that mean the world to me
Current obsessions: anything sparkly, shiny and/or colorful

Welcome!

We have a format for Authenticating Bottega Veneta items. Hopefully this will be helpful to keep the threads easy to navigate, easy to respond to, and be an overall better for all involved.

Before you post in the Bottega Veneta "Authenticate This" thread you NEED to read the rules!!!! This will make it easier for EVERYONE and really make the chance of you getting your question answered much better.

Please follow the following rules:

Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated. This is not a thread to ask general questions about Bottega Veneta, please refer to our reference section for such information. Finally, do not submit requests for something that is obviously a fake, e.g. the item says it is a replica, or a $50 Montaigne.

Needed Pictures: Please make sure the item in question has clear close-ups of
1. all logos including those on hardware and pressed into leather
2. both sides of the authenticity tag
3. views of zippers and zipper pulls
4. views of the lining
5. outside views of all sides and bottom
6. views of hardware

shoes are hard to authenticate, but the more pictures the better.

This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:

Item Name:
Listing number:
Seller name or ID:
Working Link:
Comments:

Here is an example I totally made up to illustrate the format:

Item Name: Bottega Veneta Roma NWT
Listing number: 123456789
Seller name or ID: idonotsellfakes
Working Link: http://www.blahblahblah
Comments: Please authenticate this bag, this is a new seller that I don't know. Thank you.

The format accomplishes the following:

1. Allows authenticators and requesters to see all information laid out in a clear and concise manner, upfront, without wading through links to find out information.

2. Allows requesters to easily see if the items have been previously requested, when doing a search. Searches will pick up item numbers, and this is what requesters should be searching for.

3. Allows both authenticators and requesters to mentally note important information, such as "That seller sells authentic" or "Seller XXXX is a problematic seller."

4. Reduces duplications of requests which clutters the thread and takes up unnecessary time and space.

5. Respects the personal time and effort authenticators take to answer requests.

Authenticators are not required to answer every request, and it is their right to ignore a request that is not in the proper format.
Authenticators may also request additional pictures and/or information in order to assist with authentication. Please remember, it is always useful to have several close up pictures when submitting an item for authentication.
Please do not intervene to confront a troll or rudeness on the boards, just use the REPORT function (button) to alert the mods, and let them handle it from there. In the meantime, just ignore the poster until a mod can intervene.
Always be respectful when you post and treat others as you expect to be treated. This is an open thread and everyone is welcome to participate.
Do NOT PM ("Start a Conversation)" an authenticator or moderator to request authentication. Any and all such requests must be posted in this thread.

I hopes this helps. Thank you for your cooperation
PM me if you need further clarification.

Disclaimer:
All Authenticate This threads on tPF are meant to provide assistance to shoppers who are uncertain about the legitimacy and authenticity of designer goods. The evaluations posted by tPF's members are only opinions that stem from personal experiences as shoppers and collectors. They are not legally binding or professional authentications and are not to be treated as such.

For questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact the forum administration people or a moderator, thank you!

Hi- I'm a newbie to the Forum and recently enamored of BV!

Username: Audreycat
Resides: Austin, TX
Occupation/ Industry: Corporate Compliance
Favorite band:They Might Be Giants*
Shoes: Vince Camuto, Tieks, Ecco (sensible!)
Bags BV, Mansur Gavriel, Gucci, Celine
Hobbies: 90's young adult fantasy novels, running
Favorite drink: Wheat beers
Favorite food: Bananas and banana-based desserts
Favorite TV show: Twin Peaks
Current obsessions: Hating on Donald *****.

*(I don't have a favorite brand, so I thought I'd represent TMBG instead)