Weird question: buried with jewellery?

cupcake34

Jun 26, 2012
Hi ladies,

I was just wondering what would happen to my jewellery collection after I died. Since I have no children and no other relatives who are younger than me, there isn't really anyone I could pass it down to.

I would love to be buried with some of my most important pieces of jewellery; I want to enjoy them literally "forever".

What would you do with your jewellery? Leave it on or pass it down? What if you don't have kids?

Sorry for this weird question! :P

I'm relatively sure if you did that someone would dig you up! I mean just imagine the funeral people would all know about it!

And no, I don't think that way about my jewelry.

Precisely why we should enjoy and wear our jewelry NOW while we're HERE! I don't believe it will be important to us on the "other side" anyway. And don't feel bad about not having children to pass it on to. There's no guarantee that they would appreciate it or even want it anyway. That's why pawn shops are full of fine jewelry.

By the time you are elderly you will probably have a very different perspective.
Perhaps by then you will have met a special younger person with whom you might like to share a few pieces.
I plan to give most of my jewelry to my children before I pass on. This way I can enjoy seeing them wear it.
Honestly, burying jewelry seems like such a waste...and sad.
Donating to charity seems like a nice idea, too.

Precisely why we should enjoy and wear our jewelry NOW while we're HERE! I don't believe it will be important to us on the "other side" anyway. And don't feel bad about not having children to pass it on to. There's no guarantee that they would appreciate it or even want it anyway. That's why pawn shops are full of fine jewelry.
Absolutely on the money!

Agree with the charity idea. Either there is an afterlife (in which case you/your soul will no longer care about jewelry), or there isn't (in which case there'll be no 'you' to care about jewelry!)

(And agree, too, that even if we have loved ones to pass stuff on to, they generally only *want* a teensy portion of our stuff, and usually for sentimental value. If you've ever been in charge of disposing of someone's estate, you've likely witnessed this phenomenon!)

I, too have no kids, and, given my family situation (3 brothers + wives + their kids) who haven't spoken to me in 7 years, there now is no one I would want to leave my precious collection to. I was , before all of that happened, hoping to leave at least some of it to my little grand-nieces, who were babies at the time, but they've never known their Aunt, so I guess it would be odd to leave it to them; indeed, I was not even told what that second one's name is (that was over 3 years ago; I only know about her from someone else, who isn't sure of her name).

My collection is VERY important to me, and it's extensive, and each piece was lovingly collected over the past 20 years.

I plan to stipulate that it be auctioned/sold off, and any proceeds will go to animal rescue organizations--another thing that is very important to me. I love the idea of helping animals ; I'd rather they benefit from it than my so-called "family". I only wish I could see the faces of those who will see the collection in its entirity! And I hope they get as much pleasure as I do from wearing it!

It does sadden me, though, that I have no one to pass heirlooms down to--I've always loved that idea, and never gotten any from my family. I may give a few of the prime pieces to my best friend's 3 daughters, though I don't think 2 of them would appreciate them--one doesn't even wear jewelry.

You can leave it to me!

In all seriousness, yes there are such things as grave robbers although I don't think it'd be scary to you if you were dead? I think it's a waste to buried in your jewels, but I've seen it done. Not ALL of peoples jewelry, but some. I'd give it to charity.

How old are you?

I think leaving it to be auctioned off with proceeds benefiting animals is great! Im sure you'd love to see someone close to you enjoying your precious collection. I'm so sorry that there isn't anyone, but perhaps your friends one daughter would love and adore a piece or two:smile:

I, too have no kids, and, given my family situation (3 brothers + wives + their kids) who haven't spoken to me in 7 years, there now is no one I would want to leave my precious collection to. I was , before all of that happened, hoping to leave at least some of it to my little grand-nieces, who were babies at the time, but they've never known their Aunt, so I guess it would be odd to leave it to them; indeed, I was not even told what that second one's name is (that was over 3 years ago; I only know about her from someone else, who isn't sure of her name).

My collection is VERY important to me, and it's extensive, and each piece was lovingly collected over the past 20 years.

I plan to stipulate that it be auctioned/sold off, and any proceeds will go to animal rescue organizations--another thing that is very important to me. I love the idea of helping animals ; I'd rather they benefit from it than my so-called "family". I only wish I could see the faces of those who will see the collection in its entirity! And I hope they get as much pleasure as I do from wearing it!

It does sadden me, though, that I have no one to pass heirlooms down to--I've always loved that idea, and never gotten any from my family. I may give a few of the prime pieces to my best friend's 3 daughters, though I don't think 2 of them would appreciate them--one doesn't even wear jewelry.

I don't have kids either but if I were to die tomorrow my jewelry would go to my mother via my trust.
If you don't have any family/friends/cousins/neices etc. to leave it to it's best to leave it to a charity that could use it. No point in being buried with it.

You also have to assume that the exectutor of your estate would carry out your wishes to be buried with your jewelry. I mean there's no guarantee that they don't just keep it for themselves. My dad had certains things written in his trust but my brother and I just ignored them because they were ridiculous. If my dad asked to be buried with his rolex or gold I would say sorry dad, tough luck on that.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that someone along the way would not respect your desire to be buried with your fine jewelry. If you do not have children, a funeral director or someone who works there might well replace your pieces with costume and keep them for themselves. Yes, that would be highly unethical, but it is naive to think that the wishes of the dead are always respected, especially when pieces of high value are involved.

I think the best option is to either leave them to friends or donate them or have them auctioned and donate the proceeds to an organization that is meaningful to you. Jewelry is for the living, IMO.

I am so sorry to read about your family circumstances. Whatever caused the situation, your nieces and nephews are sadly missing out given that they aren't even having the chance to know you. I would imagine this will change once they are adults...that they get to know their long lost aunt! The one with such great taste..:smile: