Weird question: buried with jewellery?

I have cousins to leave my jewelry to. I also would never want to be buried with anything that could be of value to someone else .

If no one is in my life, I will donate it to animal chairty as well, or have someone sell it and give it to someone in need.

It's your jewelry do with it what you want. Just make sure that you have a prorper will and someone who will make sure your wishes are carried out.

What about friends? My planis that if I die the DH gets to pick things, then if she's still here my mom if she wants things back but mostly things will go to my best friend.

I know a girl married to a man who works at a funeral home.

They don’t have much money but she always says how her husband gifts her with beautiful antique jewelry…

I'll leave mine to my children and nieces/nephews!

Thanks for all your answers!

I wouldn't want to be buried with ALL my jewelry, but I would like to leave some things on (e.g. bracelet, ring). The rest could go to charity... But I mean, dead people are also buried in clothes, so there is nothing wrong with having some jewelery on, is it?

Over the years I've heard so many stories about how, when a mother or aunt in a family dies, cousins or nieces or other distant relatives will sneak into the bedroom and clean out the jewelry box during the wake or funeral. And the heirloom family jewelry never goes to the ladies to whom it was intended.

And I've heard a lot of stories about will executors who don't distribute belongings or monies as the will specifies. And nothing can be done about it short of suing and no attorney wants a case of so little value as that.

A friend has instructed her will's executor that if she gets word of her friend's death she is to head immediately to her home and clean out the jewelry box and safe. She is to do this before informing any relatives that their daughter or sister has died.

Personally I hope that I contract some long, lingering illness that gives me time to gift all my jewelry to whomever I please. And if not, I have sisters-in-law who are all good ladies and have my blessings to take whatever they wish. 145 pairs of hippie dangle earrings and all. I don't anticipate a fight. ;)

A friend has instructed her will's executor that if she gets word of her friend's death she is to head immediately to her home and clean out the jewelry box and safe. She is to do this before informing any relatives that their daughter or sister has died.

I've done this. My executor is absolutely trustworthy.

I don't have children either, as per my 'will' everything I own will go to my (4) sisters and their children (when they have them).

I also think being buried with jewelry is not a good idea as other suggested. If I were you OP I would leave it to a charity.

Personally I hope that I contract some long, lingering illness that gives me time to gift all my jewelry to whomever I please. And if not, I have sisters-in-law who are all good ladies and have my blessings to take whatever they wish. 145 pairs of hippie dangle earrings and all. I don't anticipate a fight. ;)

Oh, BPS...that's hysterical!
Thanks for the laugh!!!

I plan on being cremated so I guess this is a non issue for me! Going out of this world the same way I came in. But I have two little girls so anything of mine will be left to them. I learned not to get attached to "things." I've seen first hand families fighting over stuff after someone departs. It's disgusting. Not to freak anyone out but I don't trust cemeteries. I just watched a 60 minutes episode on how a lot of cemeteries have been digging up graves/moving bodies etc to make room for new ones, and not telling families. It's horrifying what goes on. They have to keep selling plots and making money so what happens when it's full?!

My mother actually has it in her will that her jewelry gets sold and she has children to inherit it. Not everyone who has children passes down the jewels because of taste and just the fairness of it, it prevents future squabbles and such. My mother doesn't have antique rare pieces but a handful of some very big diamond items that neither my sister, sis-in-law or I would be comfortable wearing. She has three 15cttw tennis bracelets but they are not of the same value, one is all diamonds, and the other two are a mix of diamonds and semi precious so that would be a sticky situation of who to give what to when the all diamond clearly has the most value. And her diamond pendant, earrings and rings (she has two very large engagement rings and a diamond wedding band) also put her in the same situation of figuring out how to divide it evenly, so she felt this was her only choice to have it sold and then the money divided. Conveniently none of us are into huge diamonds or that would be horribly disappointing lol.

Do you have a will made up where someone is inheriting your estate? If so I would have that person inherit the jewels with a clause stating that they may be sold so that they don't feel guilty if they don't want to keep them. I think a lot of people feel tremendous guilt selling/pawning family member's pieces. If there is no person that is inheriting your estate than I would have it donated to a worthy charity that is close to your heart.

Ratnapur said:
I, too have no kids, and, given my family situation (3 brothers + wives + their kids) who haven't spoken to me in 7 years, there now is no one I would want to leave my precious collection to. I was , before all of that happened, hoping to leave at least some of it to my little grand-nieces, who were babies at the time, but they've never known their Aunt, so I guess it would be odd to leave it to them; indeed, I was not even told what that second one's name is (that was over 3 years ago; I only know about her from someone else, who isn't sure of her name).

My collection is VERY important to me, and it's extensive, and each piece was lovingly collected over the past 20 years.

I plan to stipulate that it be auctioned/sold off, and any proceeds will go to animal rescue organizations--another thing that is very important to me. I love the idea of helping animals ; I'd rather they benefit from it than my so-called "family". I only wish I could see the faces of those who will see the collection in its entirity! And I hope they get as much pleasure as I do from wearing it!

It does sadden me, though, that I have no one to pass heirlooms down to--I've always loved that idea, and never gotten any from my family. I may give a few of the prime pieces to my best friend's 3 daughters, though I don't think 2 of them would appreciate them--one doesn't even wear jewelry.

This makes me a little sad. My own aunt was pretty aweful and very greedy. She made sure to hoard all of my grandmother's jewelry when she passed. Having a sweet aunt would have been such a blessing. I don't know what is wrong with people. I mean I'm not nuts about some of my family but I'm civil and in touch and when they are good to my daughter I try and be very appreciative.

Over the years I've heard so many stories about how, when a mother or aunt in a family dies, cousins or nieces or other distant relatives will sneak into the bedroom and clean out the jewelry box during the wake or funeral. And the heirloom family jewelry never goes to the ladies to whom it was intended.

And I've heard a lot of stories about will executors who don't distribute belongings or monies as the will specifies. And nothing can be done about it short of suing and no attorney wants a case of so little value as that.

LOL you never know. Your dangle earrings may be "vintage" by then.

I can see your friend's prespective. I have a relative who is known for walking around other people's houses telling them what she'd like when they die.