Weird...now BG charges me tax in NJ??WTH?

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
I decided to splurge on a caviar maxi...called BG,since they r NOW the only ones that dont charge me tax...GUESS WHAT???They NOW charge NJ peeps tax???I was STUNNED!
Bummed.since the price went up,i DIDNT want to pay tax!GRRRRRR

Huh? Seems like crackdowns on luxury shopping interstate tax evasion across the board... Economy is so bad prolly need that to pay the cops and teachers.... But seriously whether it's saks and their several Corp org or bg which is really related to nm... It's kinda fair / legal even if it sux. But what about hirsh?? I live in ny so I got nada

So tell me you guys (I hope I dont sound like an idiot when i ask this) :confused1: ... but where are chanel sales exempt sales tax? I live in NY, so where can I buy a chanel bag tax free? :balloon:

^ I'm afraid that's very tough to do. We have all the department stores in the state.

Jill, I'm sure it was a mistake. Did you buy it already and realized they charged tax or they told you they'll charge tax?

The tax laws are so screwy. Last year I purchased a Chanel coat from Bloomingdales in NY and they shipped to MD. We have Bloomingdales, but no Chanel in Bloomies, so technically I had to leave the state to get it. It was a huge surprise. I bought a J12 from Bala Cynwyd Saks a few months ago; again, we have a Saks Off 5th, so taxable, but they didn't charge me tax. A few weeks back, I bought the last Alexander McQueen Union Jack clutch from Saks over the phone in NY and they charged tax. . . Sometimes, I think it's up to the SA, but then I ask my SA at Nordstrom and he tells me the store must obey all tax laws. The SA really doesn't have any control over the tax, because the computer charges the tax for the state. But BG and NJ?? They never charged me tax either, but we have a Last Call in MD, so we do have to pay 6%. Probably cheaper to pay the NY tax!
Sorry for confusion. I think I just gave myself a headache.
If the corporation has any presence at all in a state, even a little warehouse or something, they can charge sales tax.
Judy

i always thought it depends on whether the dept. store carries the brand in your state, if not, then you don't have to pay tax. but i guess it's different now...

ordered from BG and Saks at around nov./dec. last year, BG shipped to MA, Saks shipped to NJ, both no tax. Ordered a flap from Nordstrom last month, even though the Nordstroms here don't carry chanel, I was still charged tax.