Weird moral issue ...

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I just bought some things from a seller. I was able to get a good deal on them because she has the name brand spelled wrong.
    Now I notice she has a couple more listed. Buying a couple of things was OK - but now I feel like I would just be taking advantage.
    Should I bid on these others - or should I tell her she has it spelled wrong?

Thanks =)

2. Are the items authentic...maybe this is her way of selling fakes 'legally':confused1:

3. While I don't believe in taking advantage on people (karma, what goes around etc.), I think in this case, it's okay. After all, it's a mistake she made out of laziness, it's not like she's helpless...

Sorry but if you sell something and want to have money from someone for it, try your best. That includes finding out how you spell things. Seriously... it's not that hard :rolleyes:

4. I have to agree with Peachy. If you wants your auctions to do well, you should make a little bit of an effort. Misspelling the brand name of the item you're selling in the title of your auction? That's the most important part of the listing; if you don't bother trying to at least that part right, you should be happy you sell anything at all. :shrugs: S/he'll probably be thrilled with you for buying so many things. lol

5. They're not really high end items so no, not fakes =)

6. #6 Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    When people misspell things that are so important, I hesitate before bidding. The sellers who don't make the effort with something that basic are more likely to overlook other things too like accurately describing item condition. Not necessarily, just more likely in my experience.

7. #7 Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    You ask for our opinion, so here's mine:

I doubt very much that no one here has never made a mistake in a listing. You can re-read it 10 times and still miss something. It happens. IMO, it's unfair to assume laziness.

OP: You already got a good deal because of the seller's mistake. In terms of the new listings, I would tell her--if for no other reason that I, myself, would appreciate someone telling me.

ETA: We complain about scammers, but if everyone treated others they way we want to be treated, there would be no scammers to scam us. That's just one example.

8. I would agree with karmenzsfia on this. It's really just a nice thing to do.

9. I don't assume laziness but I am more careful! I have seen a correlation between misspelling and less than complete descriptions/photos. In those cases, I'm more apt to follow up with email questions.

I do like to commit random acts of designer name identification kindness on ebay. I email sellers to let them know who they're selling like when they don't know the jeweler's hallmarks. i.e. "The necklace you're selling with CL on the clasp is a Chan Luu." I got a kick out of helping a non profit identify a Loree Rodkin ring they had up for sale on ebay. Some actress donated it but didn't make the effort to say who it made it. Many times people are floored and email back with a huge thank you. And if karma does come around, it did to me when someone told me about a designer I had misidentified in one of my listings. I was soooooo grateful.

There was one situation where I didn't feel any moral hazard about not identifying the designer to the seller. The seller didn't know what he had and he put a reserve on it. I stumbled upon his listing by pure accident. I emailed him asking about the reserve and he went into this whole patronizing bit about how the reserve was part of his auction "strategy" and he'd be a "fool" to disclose it to me. So I did not "disclose" to him the designer's name and I put in a low bid at auction end. The bid did beat the reserve and I got a great deal. His reserve "strategy" probably kept away bidders too.

10. Wow! I so agree with Karmensofia.

I have made such stupid mistakes in things that were so important to me. I don't think it's right to benefit off of someone elses mistake.

11. I agree, politely telling a seller is a nice thing to do. :yes:

But there are so many misspellings of brands and other words in item titles on ebay, kinda shocking. If I'm really on the hunt for something specific, I search on ebay and also use this website http://auctionbloopers.com/?ref=fbfash to try to hunt the item down. It looks for common misspellings of brand names in ebay listings. But it also capitalizes on sellers' errors....

12. Buy the stuff if you really want it and mention the correct spelling for next time they list??

13. I'd probably tell them. I sort of feel sorry for the seller.

14. The problem is - she keeps listing 2 new things every day - aaaak

15. When I was searching for a particular bag on *bay, I ran across a listing where the seller had mislabeled the color of the bag she was offering. I sent her a message letting her know the correct color and even suggested that since that particular color was very sought-after, she would likely do better with the correct color in the title :tup: She thanked me profusely and I watched that auction.... after the name change, the bids came rolling in. The item sold for a very nice price indeed - for the seller :smile: