Weights of different leathers

Pepper

Raisinette
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 12, 2006
A while back, there was a discussion on this topic and someone proposed making a chart. Today, a lovely tPF member asked my opinion on the difference in weight between an older clemence and box 35 Birkin. I decided to find out. The results were unexpected and interesting (I thought) so for anyone who is interested...here are weights in grams, of various 35 Birkins, heaviest first...

Clemence range: 1209 - 1271 g (the heaviest one is from 2006)
Togo 1122
Barenia (2003) 1120
Ostrich 1106
Crinolin/Barenia 1058
Box (2007) 1049

That's right...box is the lightest. Lighter than the crinolin/barenia combo, which is lined in fabric.

So, if anyone was looking for an excuse to get box...!

FABULOUS information, Pepper - I love a brilliant chic woman! :heart:

I always thought box was very light to carry.....it's marvelous to have it confirmed.

For those of us who are "conversion" challenged:
1 gram = 0.00220462262 pounds

here's a conversion website:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-pounds.htm

2 lbs 10 oz - lightest clemence (1209 grams)
2 lbs 5 oz - box (1049 grams)

very interesting!

Reactions: peonies13
A while back, there was a discussion on this topic and someone proposed making a chart. Today, a lovely tPF member asked my opinion on the difference in weight between an older clemence and box 35 Birkin. I decided to find out. The results were unexpected and interesting (I thought) so for anyone who is interested...here are weights in grams, of various 35 Birkins, heaviest first...

Clemence range: 1209 - 1271 g (the heaviest one is from 2006)
Togo 1122
Barenia (2003) 1120
Ostrich 1106
Crinolin/Barenia 1058
Box (2007) 1049

That's right...box is the lightest. Lighter than the crinolin/barenia combo, which is lined in fabric.

So, if anyone was looking for an excuse to get box...!

ITA with your weights: Box is definately the lightest, and what REALLY surprised me, is that Barenia isn't as heavy as it's made out to be, in fact it's lighter than my Clemence Birkins and also lighter than my Vache Naturelle Birkin!

Thanks Pepper! That is excellent news! Not only does it smell wonderful, it's also the lightest?! I'm really in love now!:heart:

Now, off to sleep, perchance to dream of Vert Foncé Box leather ...mmm ...:P

2.gif

Interesting, thanks for that. Was this including locks, clochettes and all the rest?

Compared to my other non-H bags I find that my box birk can get quite heavy, I'm not sure I'd want something even heavier.