Weight of Kelly 35 vs. Birkin 35

silkstarh

Hermes State of Mind
Dec 6, 2008
Leathers being equal, is there any appreciable weight difference between a 35cm Kelly and a 35cm Birkin? I know many people find the 35 Birkin to be heavy after a few hours, but I've never heard anyone complain about the weight of the Kelly except for 40 cm. I'm considering a box leather 35 Birkin and am wondering if it's going to be much heavier, if any, than my 35 box Kelly (which I find a teeny bit heavy). Opinions from those of you with practical experience would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, my BBB is at the spa, otherwise I'd weigh it for you.
There's a thread on different weights of 35cm birkins. You can weigh your 35 box kelly and find the difference. Good news is box is one of the lightest leathers H makes.

I find my 35 kelly a little lighter simply because I can't stuff as much in it as I can my 35 birkin. Because the birkin is usually carried open and the kelly is carried closed, even if the straps aren't cinched up, it just can't hold as much as a 35 birkin. My 35 kelly is in clemence and my 35 birkins are clemence or togo, so I'm comparing apples to apples as far as leather goes. I don't find too much of a weight difference when they are empty, it's only after I stuff them to the gills. :P

I just weighed a box 35cm Kelly and a box 35cm Birkin and they weigh the same, it is 1 kilo, which is 2.2 pounds. So you start from the same point, but what the other posters say is true, one has a tendency to put more stuff in the Birkin.

I just realized one thing however as I was holding both the bags on my arms, because the Birkin has two handles the weight is distributed a bit better when the bag is loaded. I too confess that a very heavily packed 35cm Kelly can feel heavy on the forearm, and in that situation I usually opt for a cross body wide canvas strap.

my kelly is lighter than my birkin but not lighter than my vintage kelly just as note .but thing is if you wear the birkin the way it was actually made as in closed i find that like the kelly it has more balance and seems less heavy its not truly lighter, but i think we balance the birkins handles and it becomes loose and moving as oposed to stable. again just as something i have noted over the years. truth is :

birkin wonderfull accces and look both haandles help

kelly much better to carry and has a shoulder strap yet the base is thinner and not as clear to look in and when in use hard to open and close

but i guess that is the price for perfection ! hope it helps birkel.