Weight gain suggestions for CATS

poleybear

Oct 7, 2008
Hi everyone!
I have a 3 and a half year old persian cat named JoJo. She weighs only ~6lbs. She has always been tiny even considering that she's pretty small boned. I took her to the vet for a full body checkup, and results indicate that she's very healthy besides being slightly underweight. I have been feeding her wet food in the morning and dry food other times during the day. She is VERY picky when it comes to food. She loves wet food primarily, but wet food doesn't really help her gain weight, according to the vet. Does anyone have any opinion on what I should do in order to make her gain some pounds? Should I feed her more dry food? Which brand in particular?

Thanks in advance!

Lakritze

♥
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it. There are cats that are larger and there are cats that are smaller like JoJo. One of my male cats was very tall with long legs and a long body, but very thin. That's how he was. Sometimes he would gain a little weight, but then loose it again.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as JoJo is healthy. Maybe she will gain some weight as she gets older. She is still very young. Since so many pets are overweight I would rather have a pet that is a little thinner.

Of course you could always offer her some dry cat food in addition to her wet food. Just make sure she drinks a lot.

invisible

Aug 25, 2008
You could try feeding her the cat treats that Whiskas and Felix sell, my cats love them as an extra snack now and then!!

But i don't think you should worry about it much, my cat Fendi seemed the same way but she was eating normally, sometimes even more than she needed lol and she never seemed to gain any weight and still hasn't, in the end it turned out for some reason she has just stopped growing and the vet said she just wont gain weight! So she looks more like a big kitten than a normal fully grown cat :Push:sad: but i dont know if that applies to persians)

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
Believe me- these days, a slightly underweight cat is far, far more preferable than what vets usually see-40% of pets in this country are obese, and I see so many kitties with diabetes and other problems directly attributale (sp) to weight. If you really want to try a little wight gain, you might ask your vet about nutracal, as mentioned above, or Clinicare, which is like Ensure for pets.

Sep 13, 2007
Hi, Poleybear! I have a tiny Persian cat too and she's dropped to 5 pounds. Just skin and bones. I feed her Science Diet A/D which is supposed to help your cat gain weight. She really loves that. I buy it at the vet's office. They have both dry and wet and she loves both.

The vet folk have told me to try Royal Canin Calorie Max but I haven't found any vet locally that carries that.

I've been told by cat-people that breeders intentionally breed the Persians to be too-small, and they should not do this, but I don't know if this is true. I just love my little girl and want to keep her healthy.