Wee wee pads?

Fantashley

Sep 28, 2012
Hi everyone!

I'm soooo excited i'm going to be a puppy mommy!
Well, i have to wait a little since my puppy isn't born yet.... But i'm
Thinking of taking a boy vs a girl ( any opions on this?) and the big question i have is about wee wee pads...
My puppy wil be 2 Days Alone since i'll have to go to work and i was thinking about a wee wee pad... I saw one online that gives a treat when the puppy does a pee, but how does this work for boys?
I
Thanks to anyone who takes the time for any advice/ tips!

Congrats on becoming a doggy mommy.

You can't leave a new puppy alone. They need to be taught gradually. Also 2 days alone is too much for a dog no matter the age.

Give a treat when the puppy pees on the mat, if it happends elsewhere take him/her outside immediately.

Never punish them or yell at them for peeing indoors. Like infants, they cannot control their bladders at first... this takes weeks to kick in even if they understand the "no going indoors"-concept-

My boy was trained on wee wee pads and still uses them for emergencies.
You have to train him to use it...so every time he begins to pee, carry and put him on the pad. Keep him in a confined area with the pad. Praise and reward when he goes on it...immediately.
Good luck!

One of my coworkers trained her yorkie mix to use wee wee pads. However, because of this, when the dog goes outside, she has no urgency to go to the bathroom outdoors because she knows she can use the pads inside anytime she wants. So, I don't know how other dogs can use the pads only in emergencies and do their business outside all other times. Seems to me that the dog wouldn't bark to go outside if it knows it can just go inside...

Just something to consider.

One of my coworkers trained her yorkie mix to use wee wee pads. However, because of this, when the dog goes outside, she has no urgency to go to the bathroom outdoors because she knows she can use the pads inside anytime she wants. So, I don't know how other dogs can use the pads only in emergencies and do their business outside all other times. Seems to me that the dog wouldn't bark to go outside if it knows it can just go inside...

Just something to consider.
Hmm i didnt think about it like that, you have a good point...

So i contacted a dog Walker service and they can take him out 2 or 3 times a day. You get 3 Walks for the price of 2 so i'll think i go with that. Or should i go with one? It's kinda expensive but i'll have a happy dog and don't have to worry if i'm hold up at work, what do you think?

How long will you be away? Is this a temporary thing? In general, I would say a dog has to go outside at least 2-3 times a day, so if you're at work for 8 hours, you could probably get away with paying for 1 dog walk and walk your dog yourself before and after work.

How long will you be away? Is this a temporary thing? In general, I would say a dog has to go outside at least 2-3 times a day, so if you're at work for 8 hours, you could probably get away with paying for 1 dog walk and walk your dog yourself before and after work.
Pretty long i leave at 6.30 and back at 6 those 2 days

Before I became a fan of pet doors, my dogs had to stay inside (not everybody has the luxury of living in a city where there are dog walkers). 9 hours a day was sometimes just too much. Pet doors solved that (obviously I have a house and a secure and safe fenced yard).
Then I adopted 2 Maltese from Maltese Rescue, who'd been rescued from one of those ghastly puppy mills. Because they'd lived in nasty filthy cages 24 hours a day, they had no clue that a dog could "go" on grass. They probably never even saw grass. So I started them with the training pads. After years of living in the horror they were raised in, they don't always get it right on the pad, but mostly. The bonus is that my other dogs started using them, as well as when they go outside. I'm moving to a house where, although the yard is fenced, if they did get out, the traffic is fairly fast, so I'm not going to have a pet door. Now my dogs will never have to try to hold it. I have to wash a lot of pads (I get the quilted re-usable kind in a half-dozen different sizes that I found online), but it's worth it.