Wedding planning - anyone do it themselves?

I got married three months ago just dh and I. But we are having a ceremony and reception in November for family too. I am using theknot.com, to make my life more organized. It tells me when i should have stuff done, budgets, and keeps the guestlist organized. Good luck and congrats!!!

You can actually buy planners nowadays that has all of these details spelled out for you and they help a lot.

RileyGirl is right. The Simply Organized Bride sells a great planner for only $15.

You can buy it online here:
http://www.thesimplyorganizedbride.com/letter_page.shtml

Deborah Thibodeau wrote it. She is a wedding planner. I've been to some events she planned. They were wonderful.

Congratulations!

i am getting married this Satuday and the guest list is 220..and i have planned the majority myself with a lil bit of help from my fiance and parents/parents in law..i picked out the colors (hot pink & black) along with the flowers, favors, invitations etc..I am super picky and my fiance said the only thing he wanted to contribute his opinion on was the menu and cake..other than that, he said i could pick anything. So I was pretty lucky that he didnt say no to anything i had chosen..although I probably couldve had a lil more input from him, I have been going a lil crazy with last minute stuff and I am worried that some things I picked out might be too "modern" and untraditional and people might not like it..but i hope it all goes well! My advice is to carry everything in a folder/binder with lots of pockets or folds so you can separate contracts, receipts, etc..and to def look thought bridal magazines to get ideas and info, these helped me ALOT!!

well, my mum and I arranged my wedding (no way to do it without her...) and we had 60 people. to me that was a big affair but judging by others comments here it is a small wedding ;).

you need a seating chart IMO. I certainly had one, i woulnd't want people to sit randomly at tables. it wasn't such a big deal to be honest, we picked our invitations, used the florist recommended by the hotel, picked our food from the menus the recommended, and I found the videographers through the internet - they recommended a local photographer for the typical session. the hotel was a given bec all our big family events went down there, tradition introduced by my grandpa.

the invites and our outfits were the biggest deal although my mother may think otherwise, she was pretty involved with the rest! oh, I also had little goody bags for everyone, like a thank you for coming. it was all close family and friends. oh, I should also say that this was just the reception, the actual wedding went on in another country where we were living at the time. we arranged for everything in 2 months - but it was february so not very busy.

I think location is the first thing you should look into. i have never been to a wedding that was organised by a coordinator, they are only getting popular here, but I never felt that there was a big deal or something missing.

good luck and enjoy!

I organised my entire wedding because my fella was working in Holland for the entire year before we got married, he only came back a week before the wedding and stayed for 3 weeks then went back again so everything was down to me.

Luckily, my sister did all the flowers, even the ones for the church and reception. Her BF played the organ in the church. My sister-in-law made our cake and my best friend's dad (a professional photographer) took the photos but it all needed organising.

I kept a folder with different sections for the Bride, Bridesmaids, Best Man, Groom, Reception, Photos, etc and had a checklist in each along with ideas or photos of what I wanted.

Luckily it all went according to plan and we had, of course, a super day.

kinda late to this but I second going to the forums on theknot.com

I planned my own wedding for about 230 guests with no help from inlaws or my parents. I'm not very good at DIY projects but many brides to be on there have some great ideas. I did buy one of those planning books but you get so many contracts and other papers that all I really needed was a lot of folders. good luck!

Thanks for the input again! Well yesterday, we booked our chapel and reception site! I am so excited - I feel like getting those things taken care of is half the battle. Now it's all just smaller details that my FH and I will be working out soon.

I did set up a notebook....so helpful!

Our wedding was all planned by moi!! We had 150 guests. I had so much funny planning our wedding I highly recommend it. Use theknot.com and theweddingchannel.com, there are message boards that are very helpful.

After planning everything, I handed the details to my wedding coordinator who (together with her assistant) did everything on the wedding day so I didn't have to worry about anything.

Good luck, and most importantly enjoy the process. The wedding day goes by so fast. It was truly the best day of my life.