Which plain gold band as replacement Wedding Band

• Tiffany's band

• Band from local jeweler

• Other (please explain in post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitzy

O.G.
May 24, 2009
As some of you know, a couple of years ago, my husband and I were having a hard time financially after he immigrated from Australia to the US. Long story short, it took far longer to get his green card than we thought it would and we had to sell almost everything of value to pay our rent the month before he went to work.
Good news, he has now been working over a year, as have I and we have enough money to replace our wedding rings, which we sold. He knows he wants just a polished gold band, which is what he had before, but I am having a hard time deciding what I want.
I had a regular set of engagement ring with a moderate size stone and a matching band with two smaller stones. I was kind of glad we splurged on it, after I was able to sell it and more than cover two months rent! However, I don't think I want anything as elaborate at this point.
I have been looking at Tiffany's, Cartier and several local jewelry stores here in town.
If you were going to get just a plain gold band (I love rose gold, so am looking at those) or one with flush set diamonds, would you go with the best you could afford or just get one from a local jewelry store, since they are so plain? I am torn between Tiffany's or just getting one from Kay's Jewelers or something. The difference in cost is maybe $200. The other difference is that there is no Tiffany's anywhere near me so I will have to order online.
I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

What two rings are only $200 apart? Plain bands? You can get a plain gold band anywhere. But I would avoid Kays or whatever maul store. If you're going to get one from a chain, get it from Tiffany.

Now if you want a diamond band, that's a different story.

There is an entire football field in between Kay's and Tiffany in terms of quality. I consider Kay's to be bargain basement quality at premium prices. To get an idea of fair pricing on high quality products you should look at Blue Nile, Brian Gavin and Whiteflash websites.

Ame, before you jump down my throat for recommending those sites, I'm offering them as a research tool.:P

Also, it would help if you linked to the rings you're looking at...

My wedding band is just plain gold, but I'm glad I got it at Tiffany's. It's 18k, and it is nice and thick, much more do than most gold bands. It's the Lucida band, if you want to look it up.

There is an entire football field in between Kay's and Tiffany in terms of quality. I consider Kay's to be bargain basement quality at premium prices. To get an idea of fair pricing on high quality products you should look at Blue Nile, Brian Gavin and Whiteflash websites.

Ame, before you jump down my throat for recommending those sites, I'm offering them as a research tool.:P

Also, it would help if you linked to the rings you're looking at...

*climbs off diving board*

My advice is to get what you LOVE.

If the difference between what you LIKE vs what you love is a couple hundred dollars, and you can swing it, then go for it.

Bottom line, don't settle especially if you've waited this long :smile:

And personally, I don't think it's too big a risk to order online from Tiffanys as they have excellent customer service (at least what I've experienced) & return policy.

I would get what you love, like the poster above me said...

I just upgraded my wedding band from a plain 2mm platinum band to a curved band with some diamonds in it from Tiffany, and I LOVE it. I feel like it compliments my ring so much more than my original one and almost acts like a frame. I could have gotten a similar ring at a local jewelry store custom made for me, for around $100-$200 less... but at that point, I would rather pay for the "brand name" and just get the original ring I fell in love with! ;) GL deciding!

Oh, and on a side note, I also ordered my ring from Tiffany online... and it worked out just fine. I had an idea of what my size needed to be and it fit perfectly when it arrived - so that might be the only hiccup you'd have would be if you didn't know what size to order. They have excellent customer service though and I'm sure could exchange it out for you quickly with no problem if you had an issue with your ring once it arrived. I have Tiffany stores within an hour or so drive from me(and I had previously tried this ring on in the store), but I didn't feel like dragging my toddler & infant into the store at the time I was ready to purchase. It was a lot less stressful to just order online.

If you're set on a gold band with no diamonds then I say go somewhere like Blue Nile rather than pay the Tiffany premium. I LOVE Tiffany's but am only willing to pay for it if there is something signature or some degree of craftsmanship involved (for example the dbty collection). I did a quick search of Blue Nile's rose gold selection. http://www.bluenile.com/wedding-rings/womens-wedding-rings?track=image&oid=17388

Edit: Ah. The link didnt work. Just do a search. Most of the bands are ~$350.