weather in LA & SF

lawgirl

O.G.
Oct 17, 2006
hi -
we're traveling for the holidays to LA and SF. just wondering what you ladies are wearing right now. it seems like it's in the high 50s/low 60s. are you still wearing flats w/ no socks? if you're wearing jackets, how thick are they? thanks so much.

SF and LA require two different levels of warmth! SF is FREEEEEEZING with that fog and wind. For LA, you can do flats with no socks, jeans, something like a pea coat coat or leather jacket or for some days even a big thick cardi and scarf. Everyone is wearing ankle or tall boots, too.
For SF, you are going to want boots, warm coat, hat and scarf. People traveling there always underestimate how cold it can feel. Especially by the bay. Brrrrrrr!
Have fun!

For SF, you definitely want boots - it's been freezing past few days. Also incredibly rainy, foggy and gloomy. Just bad weather overall, I was in SD for a vacation and thought it was bad there, when I came home I realized how much worse we have it here in SF.

For jacket thickness-you definitely want a very warm coat at least for night time. I wore my Mackage super warm ski jacket to the grocery store last night because I was too rushed to go fish out my coat if that makes any sense.

It's supposed to be cold and rainy all the way through Christmas; didn't notice if they had the forecast after that. Highs low- high 50's lows in the 40's and some high 30's around the SF Bay area, depending upon where you are.

Bring an umbrella to SF; lots and lots of rain and no signs of letting up. You can get away with a raincoat but dress in layers; once you're inside of a store you don't want to be bogged down with a heavy coat.

SF and LA require two different levels of warmth! SF is FREEEEEEZING with that fog and wind. For LA, you can do flats with no socks, jeans, something like a pea coat coat or leather jacket or for some days even a big thick cardi and scarf. Everyone is wearing ankle or tall boots, too.
For SF, you are going to want boots, warm coat, hat and scarf. People traveling there always underestimate how cold it can feel. Especially by the bay. Brrrrrrr!
Have fun!

This! :tup:

In SF it can be overcast, windy, drizzly and sunny all in one day...but it's always chilly. Definitely bring warm boots that you can do tons of walking in. If you plan to wear a dress or skirt then bring some leggings or thicker tights. You can still wear cute, fashionable clothes (it's not Fargo cold) but you need to put emphasis on layering, like this:

attachment.php

LA is easier to dress for...dress for milder weather with colder nights. Bring lots of skinnies, cardigans, t-shirts, a blazer, fashion jackets (nothing too, too heavy) flats, a pair of boots and booties, a pair of flat sandals (for the day) and I like to wear maxi dresses w/ blazers or cardis in this kind of weather too. Comfy and effortless. :yes:

I like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fp_g2_weekend_uni_v1_m56577569832130612.jpg
    fp_g2_weekend_uni_v1_m56577569832130612.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 262
  • lb_2_ever_v1_m56577569832130603.jpg
    lb_2_ever_v1_m56577569832130603.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 256
Cold, but not unbearable during the day in Los Angeles the past few days.
Nights are chilly.
It's raining now, was raining yesterday too.
Bring clothes you can layer..
Also, LA is VERY casual, even at night at restaurants..

I agree about SF..COLD..
though I don't live there, every time I've visited there
was a cold wind..
brrr..

Have fun!

LA (and SF) is raining now, and I think for the next few days. It's a "warm" storm, so it's not too cold in either city (I live in LA and just drove up to SF today). I'd bring a pair of nice boots that you can wear in the rain. You can either tuck skinnies/leggings into them, or you can wear them with a dress or skirt.

SF essentials: leather knee high boots, a scarf (one should always be in your bag because SF is generally very windy), a cardigan of some sort, and a jacket that can break the wind chill. It's rain season now in SF, so you might want to bring an umbrella. In the 6 years I've lived in SF, I've never worn a hat, but you might want one if you're going to brave the boat tours on the water near the wharf or walk on golden gate bridge (which is probably freezing this time of the year with all that wind! So bundle up!).

LA essentials: a light jacket for the cold nights. LA is still the desert, so that means warm days but colder nights (around a 10 degree difference if not more). I wouldn't recommend wearing flip flops this time of the year in LA even though it's been 80 the past few days, just because that's not the normal temperature this time of the year. But, you might want to bring a pair just in case it does stay that warm.

I personally can't wait to go back home to SF...New York is FREEZING!!

Last edited:
SF essentials: leather knee high boots, a scarf (one should always be in your bag because SF is generally very windy), a cardigan of some sort, and a jacket that can break the wind chill. It's rain season now in SF, so you might want to bring an umbrella. In the 6 years I've lived in SF, I've never worn a hat, but you might want one if you're going to brave the boat tours on the water near the wharf or walk on golden gate bridge (which is probably freezing this time of the year with all that wind! So bundle up!).

LA essentials: a light jacket for the cold nights. LA is still the desert, so that means warm days but colder nights (around a 10 degree difference if not more). I wouldn't recommend wearing flip flops this time of the year in LA even though it's been 80 the past few days, just because that's not the normal temperature this time of the year. But, you might want to bring a pair just in case it does stay that warm.

I personally can't wait to go back home to SF...New York is FREEZING!!

It was 80 a week ago, but that was a fluke: this year has been COLD in LA! My apartment doesn't have a heater (hehe, only place can you live somewhere without heating!) and my bf and I were dying because it was getting into the 40s at night. Right now, I would actually dress for LA the same as I would dress for SF. Dress in layers and bring a big bag so you can shed if it gets warmer (or when you go inside a building).

It was 80 a week ago, but that was a fluke: this year has been COLD in LA! My apartment doesn't have a heater (hehe, only place can you live somewhere without heating!) and my bf and I were dying because it was getting into the 40s at night. Right now, I would actually dress for LA the same as I would dress for SF. Dress in layers and bring a big bag so you can shed if it gets warmer (or when you go inside a building).

ITA!
I miss that heat..
it's been raining for 3 days and forecast shows it will continue through the week..
and I have a leaky roof
:sad:

Yes for San Francisco, definitely bring a peacoat [been living in mine for the past week] and pack layers and definitely an umbrella :idea: It's been raining for 2 days straight and it's super gloomy out there right now :sad: I wanted to go downtown, but it's so yucky after all that rain :Push:

PS: Bring comfy shoes (flat boots?) if you are going to be touring around, especially GG park, Dowtown and Chinatown :yes: lots of walking required to see everything ;) Have fun!

ahh. thanks so much for all the replies!

we won't be doing much touring. we're heading back to see family for the holidays and just seeing old friends. i think over the years my husband and i have become east coasters -- so much so that warm weather in the winter throws us off. i'll be sure to pack my winter gear this time.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, but i'm heading to SF for 4 days between Christmas and New Year's, and I'm trying to decide which jacket to bring!

Would a Mackage hip-length wool jacket be too warm for SF weather? I see lately it's about highs of 13, 14 C (50s F?), which is warmer than what's here in Vancouver right now.

TIA!