Wearing White to a wedding??

It is a BIG faux pas to wear white to a wedding when you're not the bride. :tdown: Its practically universal so it doesn't matter if the groom side isn't American. Plus I wouldn't put the bride in that awkward position where she has to tell you what you can or cannot wear, esp. when she knows of your health condition. That's just stressing her out for no reason. You should seriously consider wearing another color or as some previous posters mentioned, have it professionally dyed to a different color.

^ btw whatever condition you have and even if everybody sypathize with you. almost every online retailer has free return exchange policy (i litereally just ordered two pairs of the same jeans in the same size and planning on returning the one that doesn't fit)
It's very puzzling to me why you fixate on that one particular white dress.
Plus if it's trivial to you then why not just pick another dress? The fact you asked yourself/other this question means that you know inside it's not ok to do so.

basically what you are saying is this particular white dress is the only one you have money and energy for? that seems preposterous to me.

yes piggy, i will totally enforce a strict dress code at the door of my wedding to spare myself from the horror of such possibility stated here. in the "long term" people will always remember the ones who did not dress appropriately

Last edited:
wanted to add, the ONLY time white is permitted at a wedding is if it is requested in the invite. I was invited to a beach wedding and the bride and groom, specifically requested we all wear white...

other than that, white is a NO GO!

I answered the question as to why I "fixate" on the dress. And yes, I could get it dyed.

Unfortunately, yes, this dress is the only one I have the time, money and energy for. It may seem preposterous to you, but it's unfortunately the truth. Had I known it was SUCH a big deal, I would have chosen another dress when I went shopping...however I didn't because I didn't think about it. And now, unfortunately, I cannot go shopping.

Also, I didn't buy that exact dress, but a dress similar. I don't understand why people are getting hung up on logistics. I get it. You guys think it's rude.

Thanks for your responses. They have been a bit overwhelming, if not a bit over-the-top.

I also asked the question not because "inside I know it's wrong", but because I had honestly never heard this rule until like yesterday. Even my mom-my very old fashioned 70-year-old mom-had never heard of it...so maybe we live on a different planet, but it wasn't something we'd ever considered. I wanted to hear others' views on it....not be blown to bits.

Last edited:
Dear OP, I'm sorry that you feel like everyone's on your case and I can see how you would feel that way after reading through the thread. There are some people, like me, who would call you out in the middle of walking down the aisle if I saw you wearing white to my wedding, and there are some women who don't put a lot a of care into things like that. If you want to wear the dress, wear it. Just know that either the bride and everyone else isn't going to care, the bride isn't going to care but the guess will whisper about you, or to the bride and the rest of the guest you will be the rude chick who had the nerve to wear white to her wedding. Honestly, if it's the second or the later, they aren't going to care about why you had to wear the dress and I wouldn't bother trying to plead your case if it's so. Just know what your risking with this action. I wish you well and hope you have a wonderful time at the ceremony.

I don't think anyone was trying to "blow you to bits," but you asked and people answered truthfully. It's just not something that the majority of people would approve of. But for various reasons, it sounds like you have no choice but to wear *that* particular dress. So, let's work with what we have.....

Perhaps to tone down the whiteness of the dress, you could wear a lightweight, vibrantly colored cardie over it, along with a colored bag and colored shoes. And wear a splashy, dramatic necklace (preferably with color). So basically, people would notice the vibrancy of the overall look and won't even notice that you're wearing a solid white dress. Just my two cents!

I wish you the best of luck with your health issues.

I agree with KristyDarling!!! If you are so adamant about having to wear the dress no matter what, then put on a cardigan..

I know you said it's going to be HOT but no accessory (shoes/necklace) will distract from the dress being white.

or how about a pashmina? Also, add a colored belt?

Love the idea of the bright colored floral print cardy, large bright statement necklace, etc.

To the OP- please, in the event that your friend says no to you wearing white- do not respond that you didn't think it would be SUCH a big deal, as you said to us.

That seems very disrespectful, and frankly- very arrogant.

I am sure you didn't mean it that way. But that type of response just seems out of place given the importance of the bride being the center of attention, thus having the pleasure of standing out in a crowd wearing a color devoted to her...

Im sure you could make it work if you really wear lots of bright accessories...

Good luck!

I told the bride I would definitely add a cardigan if she wanted. I actually don't have the dress with me (it's at my mom's house 1,000 miles away and she's bringing it for the wedding) so I'll ask her about dying it. The only other appropriate dress I have is a black dress that I've never gotten to wear out--but I feel like black at a summer wedding is more inappropriate than white, if that makes sense?

I ordered another dress from online with a generous return policy, so we'll see what happens.

As far as the dress itself, I bought it on sale and it's not the exact same one as above, but similar (and a lot less $$). I went online to see if they had the same dress in a different color so I knew how it fit--but I couldn't find it online which is why I posted a similar (and not the same) dress.

My mom knows the bride's family VERY well, and she says she doesn't think anyone will think twice--but we'll see. Personally, I've seen a lot more inappropriate dresses at weddings than white dresses...but I guess that's just me and my own little planet I live on.

To the OP- please, in the event that your friend says no to you wearing white- do not respond that you didn't think it would be SUCH a big deal, as you said to us.

I'm not. I think it's a bit of a silly rule, but it's her wedding. And I'm not bringing up the illness either. I think she knows about it, but I don't want her to feel guilty about it.

Rabbithole-

Black is ALWAYS appropriate.

I vote black all the way. Besides, black is quickly becoming a popular color for a guest at weddings. I wouldnt give that one a second thought. You'll look dressy and elegant, and in , instead of out, of place.! :smile:

Between the two options - white or black - I would go with the latter. At least you know you won't offend anyone, KWIM? You can certainly "summerize" the black dress with colored accessories. If you are adamant about wearing the white dress, I wholeheartedly agree with KristyDarling. Why chance it though... I really don't see the point in that at all, close family friends or not. JMHO. :flowers:

Wearing white to a wedding (even a summer one) is still a big faux pas. I agree with previous posters that even though the bride may not mind, but it will definitely a topic of discussion among folks at the event.

If this is the only dress you have, I would recommend wearing a cardigan, or wrap, and accessorize with colorful necklaces. If you have the black dress, I would opt for that. Weddings are suppose to be fun, and not wearing white will allow you to enjoy the day without chatter from other guests.

Black is the best bet. You can wear cute shoes in like a red and then it would be perfect. This is my suggestion.

If you really dont want to wear the black dress. Wear a very bright cardigan like orange or red and no one will notice. White is a no-go for a formal wedding but for a casual summer one I think you can get away with it with a cardigan. Truefully I wouldnt have bought it specifically for the occasion but since you did add a bright cardi and its not the worst dress. I think this situation is far less worse than a slutty dress.