Wearing White to a wedding??

I don't think there are many ironclad fashion rules anymore, but this is one of them. And don't ask the bride if it is ok-she may feel pressured to say yes.

I agree - not many "rules" any more, but I'm pretty sure this is about the only one that is not questionable. Typically (not always) white is reserved for a bride. If you're not the bride at the wedding, don't wear white. Even if he bride herself is not wearing white, you come off as looking like trying to be one by wearing white to a wedding.

^ I agree. I just cannot understand why people try to go so far to justify it when it is clearly generally NOT acceptable. Even if it is "okay" with the bride (and I agree that she would likely feel pressured to say it was fine), other guests will likely view you as rude. There is a rainbow of colour out there; do people really have to risk wearing white to someone else's wedding?

I felt Pippa Middleton "stole" the wedding attention from her sister Kate with her practically white dress. Is it me, or was her dress "whiter" than Kate's wedding dress?

Because it's all white, all eyes tend to zoom in on you. I wore a shimmer-y ivory top to a wedding when I was younger, not knowing any better. I'm not sure but I bet people took note of the faux pas...

btw I'm from US so I think traditions in UK are quite different from US, I just looked it up and supposedly white in the wedding group is supposed to symbolize good luck and to ward off spirits for the wedding couple.

Last edited:
I wore a white dress with pink accessories to one of my parents weddings..i was 17 so it was pretty obvious i wasnt the bride..who wasnt wearing white. For a traditional uk wedding i would stay away from white at someone elses wedding but i dont mind if someone wears white to my wedding..unless its floor length and they are also in a veil and tiara.

Some people also think black is a fashion faux pas at weddings as it can look too funerally but i think accessorised right it doesnt.

Im assuming my guests will have enough sense to not turn up as a carbon copy of me or dressed as an undertaker...i hope!!!!

This has been a lively discussion since 2010. Good that the discussion has revived!

Is wearing a white dress to a wedding acceptable, reading this thread 98% says no 2% says yes, so there is the answer :P.

I dont have a big opinion about it, however the rest of the wedding guests probably do (and maybe the bride, oops), and would therefore leave it.

Funny enough the protagonist of this thread of wearing white decided that white might not be the best option and then purchased a black dress for the wedding. :roflmfao:

The thread was revived because someone recently started a new thread about wearing white to a wedding and a mod moved the discussion to this existing thread:smile:
I'm curious, did you actually tally up the responses to come up with your answers or is that just a best guess? I'd say that your numbers are pretty accurate:yes:

What do people think about dresses that are white + color print?

Like this:
l3fA9.jpg

Or this:
9qT0M.jpg

Still too white?

Last edited:
I think white and black combinations are ok. I once wore a black top with a white skirt, black and white striped hat, and gold accesories.

I am not convinced though by the dresses below. The second picture is really pushing it because of the see through fabric over the skirt and the strapless model which is very similar to a wedding dress....:blush:

Ofcourse I understand there are at least a thousand other options but, you know, why not discuss how far you could take this? When will your dress cross the line hehe :roflmfao:

What do people think about dresses that are white + color print?

Like this:
l3fA9.jpg

Or this:
9qT0M.jpg

Still too white?

Last edited: