Wearing the Evelyne

May 17, 2009
I have been getting sleepless nights over the Evelyne bag lately. :nuts: I want to get one primarily for travel but would like to be able to wear it for other purposes as well. I would be grateful to those who could suggest, or better yet, post pics of the different ways of wearing the Evelyne (other than as a messenger bag) and help me decide to get the Evelyne now instead of later (in time for my next trip). Thanks!

Nov 16, 2010
I have a pink one I love but it turned out to not be so useful for me. Since getting it, I've realized that I'm a terrible pack rack and although I love the messenger carrying option of it, it just doesn't hold enough for me. But then again I have it in epsom and in a PM II.

If you get it my suggestion is get it in a "stretchier" type leather like clemence and depending on your stature, get a GM instead of PM and it should hold more. Its larger capacity should make it more versatile for you.

regarding different ways to wear it; I sometimes wear it with the strap doubled up and a twilly to tie it to the bag to make it a shoulder-wearing length. You could also take the strap off completely and use a scarf instead as well.

P.S. I don't know how much security you need in a travel bag but keep in mind that it doesn't have a zip-top closure so it might not be as secure as say a Kelly for traveling purposes.

It's always so exciting to plan for and purchase H bags. Happy for you! :smile:

ladyblakeney

Nov 11, 2010
I have been getting sleepless nights over the Evelyne bag lately. :nuts: I want to get one primarily for travel but would like to be able to wear it for other purposes as well. I would be grateful to those who could suggest, or better yet, post pics of the different ways of wearing the Evelyne (other than as a messenger bag) and help me decide to get the Evelyne now instead of later (in time for my next trip). Thanks!
I, too, am thinking of buying one. I figure it is a very nice messenger bag that can be dressed up or down. The Evelyne III seems classy to me, especially in the clemence leather, even though it"s a messenger bag. I am considering the colors rouge garance or etoupe, in the GM size. I have been looking at them for 10 days now. I will make up my mind this Friday!!:yahoo:

beth001

Purse Slut
O.G.
Dec 14, 2006
Western NY
I took my Evelyne GMIII in Raisin Clemence with me to Paris last summer. I was nervous about it getting dirty going through airport security, etc., so I kept an Envirosax bag inside of it and put the Evelyne inside the Envirosax while traveling anyplace that might be dirty. Worked perfectly!

In Paris, I carried the Evelyne everyday, mostly cross-body, but at times, as a shoulder bag. I did buy a large silk H scarf to use as a strap, but could never bring myself to do it. I am one of the people who have had difficulty with the strap buckle not holding in the shoulder bag position and stopped into the FSH store hoping to purchase either a replacement strap (which I had learned via tpf that Hermes was making) or at the very least a new buckle. After waiting almost an hour for an SA to pay any sort of attention to me, I finally spoke to a woman who told me (1) there were no replacement straps or any kind, and (2) there were no replacement buckles. BOTH answers I knew from here weren't true! She also told me that the reason my buckle slipped in the short position was that I was putting too much into it. Idiot. But I digress.

For walking around, sightseeing, shopping, etc. -- the Evelyne was classy and comfortable. I am 5'4", but "puffy" as they say, and the GMIII fit me very well. The outside pocket was very useful. The ONLY thing that did bother me was that the interior is unlined. I kept a little pink faux suede jewelry pouch in the purse to keep any of my jewelry that I wasn't actually wearing "on my person" while traveling and it picked up a ton of dark purple suede lint on it.

Haven't carried it much stateside, but I sure felt elegant and appropriate wearing an Evelyne in Paris!

May 17, 2009
I have a pink one I love but it turned out to not be so useful for me. Since getting it, I've realized that I'm a terrible pack rack and although I love the messenger carrying option of it, it just doesn't hold enough for me. But then again I have it in epsom and in a PM II.

If you get it my suggestion is get it in a "stretchier" type leather like clemence and depending on your stature, get a GM instead of PM and it should hold more. Its larger capacity should make it more versatile for you.

regarding different ways to wear it; I sometimes wear it with the strap doubled up and a twilly to tie it to the bag to make it a shoulder-wearing length. You could also take the strap off completely and use a scarf instead as well.

P.S. I don't know how much security you need in a travel bag but keep in mind that it doesn't have a zip-top closure so it might not be as secure as say a Kelly for traveling purposes.

It's always so exciting to plan for and purchase H bags. Happy for you! :smile:

Thanks so much, Precious Happy! :smile: I have actually planned on doing your second suggestion, which is to shorten its strap using a twilly and wear it as a shoulder bag. An H store SA has shown me how to do this and it seems really nice. I am just worried that the bag's weight may strain the twilly too much and eventually deform or tear it.

Am planning on getting the PM size since it has a better fit on me (I am only about 5'3" in height) when worn either as a messenger bag or as a shoulder bag. I agree though that the GM can hold more. This is one of my dilemmas right now.

And yes, a Kelly is in my list too ;) although i'm not sure i am prepared to have a precious Kelly run through the dirty running rubber parts (sorry, but i don't know how it is called) of airports' security xray machines.

Thanks for your help!

ahhgoo

Shopaholic
Oct 30, 2010
Canada
Have you checked out the Good News bag? I stopped by the Hermes store the other day to check out the Evelyne along with the Jypsiere bags...when I spotted the Good News bag :nuts: It's a cross-body with a zipper along the top - very functional for travelling and containing all your stuff. That was my intention on searching for a cross-body as well.

Nov 16, 2010
^^ You're very welcome and my pleasure! let us know what you decide! :smile:

BTW you are right about the wear on the twilly. There will be some wear but the silk is actually ALOT more durable than it looks. and the wear won't be too noticeable if you save just one specific twilly to always use for this purpose with your Evelyne.

Or if you want, you can always get an inexpensive "twilly" like one of the silk ponytail ribbons that Coach makes. I think they sell at Coach stores for $30-$40? Maybe even less at a Coach Outlet store! For me, I'm kinda anal retentive about using only H items with H items. I can't even mix up other brand scarves when wearing H bags. I know, it's a terrible character flaw! laugh. but my friend swears by using Coach silks for more utilitarian purposes like in this case to just tie up an Evelyne strap.

May 17, 2009
I, too, am thinking of buying one. I figure it is a very nice messenger bag that can be dressed up or down. The Evelyne III seems classy to me, especially in the clemence leather, even though it"s a messenger bag. I am considering the colors rouge garance or etoupe, in the GM size. I have been looking at them for 10 days now. I will make up my mind this Friday!!:yahoo:
i agree with you completely, ladyblakeney! i like it in gold or etoupe but they are not available in those colors in the shops that I visited. The colors in store now are from the fall 2010 collection: rubis and iris. am worried that either of these two colors might be a bit difficult to pair with clothes. i must admit though that i am also considering getting it in the classic H orange color. let me know once you've decided and maybe post pics once you've bought it :biggrin:

May 17, 2009
I took my Evelyne GMIII in Raisin Clemence with me to Paris last summer. I was nervous about it getting dirty going through airport security, etc., so I kept an Envirosax bag inside of it and put the Evelyne inside the Envirosax while traveling anyplace that might be dirty. Worked perfectly!

In Paris, I carried the Evelyne everyday, mostly cross-body, but at times, as a shoulder bag. I did buy a large silk H scarf to use as a strap, but could never bring myself to do it. I am one of the people who have had difficulty with the strap buckle not holding in the shoulder bag position and stopped into the FSH store hoping to purchase either a replacement strap (which I had learned via tpf that Hermes was making) or at the very least a new buckle. After waiting almost an hour for an SA to pay any sort of attention to me, I finally spoke to a woman who told me (1) there were no replacement straps or any kind, and (2) there were no replacement buckles. BOTH answers I knew from here weren't true! She also told me that the reason my buckle slipped in the short position was that I was putting too much into it. Idiot. But I digress.

For walking around, sightseeing, shopping, etc. -- the Evelyne was classy and comfortable. I am 5'4", but "puffy" as they say, and the GMIII fit me very well. The outside pocket was very useful. The ONLY thing that did bother me was that the interior is unlined. I kept a little pink faux suede jewelry pouch in the purse to keep any of my jewelry that I wasn't actually wearing "on my person" while traveling and it picked up a ton of dark purple suede lint on it.

Haven't carried it much stateside, but I sure felt elegant and appropriate wearing an Evelyne in Paris!
wow, the Envirosax is a very good idea, beth001! this will provide a solution to my travel problem not just for an H bag but for the rest of my travel bags (the H bag would be most worth the trouble though).;) thanks for this!

we have the same concern about using a twilly or a scarf as strap for the Evelyne. but I like the idea just the same. maybe i just don't use it that way very often, it is still a messenger bag afterall!

i am more convinced now that the Evelyne is my next travel bag. now, if only i could get it in the color i want *sigh*

May 17, 2009
Have you checked out the Good News bag? I stopped by the Hermes store the other day to check out the Evelyne along with the Jypsiere bags...when I spotted the Good News bag :nuts: It's a cross-body with a zipper along the top - very functional for travelling and containing all your stuff. That was my intention on searching for a cross-body as well.
oh no, i haven't. is it as nice as the Evelyne? will check it out! thanks

ahhgoo

Shopaholic
Oct 30, 2010
Canada
oh no, i haven't. is it as nice as the Evelyne? will check it out! thanks
It's a personal preference. I like it very much as it's functional. It's a rectangle messenger bag with an H sewn on either side of the bag, with a zipper close on top, an open pocket in front tucked behind one of the H's and a zipper pocket inside. Very functional and price is almost comparable to the Evelyne as well (slightly more expensive but looks like more bang for the buck). It comes in 2 sizes as well and I prefer the smaller size. For me, this is the bag I'm searching for :biggrin: Check the forum thread for Sac Goodnews or Good News you will find some pix.

birkel

O.G.
Jan 17, 2009
I don't find useful though very attractive I have to carry many things around so I wish it could be roomier I think ! As a messenger port bag I like the massai much more !

lanit

O.G.
May 17, 2007
I looked at both the Goodnews and the Evelyne. I liked the Goodnews very much, but just could not justify the price for a new casual bag. I decided pre-owned Evelyne GM was the way to go and am happy about that decision. You really do need to go in and try these on, see how they feel with your things in them. The Evelyne is a great travel/messenger casual bag and I do like to roomier fit for carrying an IPad or Kindle, as well. It is slouchier and one does not have to be too 'precious' with it. Good luck!

BTW-I love my scarves and as much as I like the idea of it being used as a strap I cannot bring myself to do this to my silks...love them too much for using them like that-oh well, will have to try it with an older scarf perhaps.

DeCrillon

The machan
Feb 12, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
helloooooo, wearing "Evelyne" II cross body casual look. Evelyne is super practical. I never thought I would love it that much, as I am a big fan of the Jypsiere and So Kelly but yet "E" is much cheaper. Have you considered the So Kelly ? It's very versatile, you can wear it cross body and as a shoulder bag. Evelyne is my easy quick "grab" bag. When I bought Evelyne, my store had I, II and III models. Somehow I did prefer the strap of the I and II. The III strap seemed too bulky. By the way, Evelyne I and II are not that expensive (for Hermes world). Evelyne I was around $ 1900+ taxes.
xxooxxooo

Attachments

May 17, 2009
I looked at both the Goodnews and the Evelyne. I liked the Goodnews very much, but just could not justify the price for a new casual bag. I decided pre-owned Evelyne GM was the way to go and am happy about that decision. You really do need to go in and try these on, see how they feel with your things in them. The Evelyne is a great travel/messenger casual bag and I do like to roomier fit for carrying an IPad or Kindle, as well. It is slouchier and one does not have to be too 'precious' with it. Good luck!

BTW-I love my scarves and as much as I like the idea of it being used as a strap I cannot bring myself to do this to my silks...love them too much for using them like that-oh well, will have to try it with an older scarf perhaps.
thanks! i've tried it twice in three different H shops, both in PM and GM. great fit. and you're right, it is slouchier - in clemence right? it has a more relaxed feel which i think is how messenger bags should be.