Wearing false nails

Hurrem1001

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
I'm sure a few of you have seen my posts about me taking my acrylics off, and how awful my real nails are looking. I hate how much uglier my hands look, and was thinking about wearing false nails on a regular basis, until my own nails have grown out.
Here's my question. Do you think if I keep on glueing false nails to my nails as they are now it's going to do more damage? To put it another way, do you think it's safe to wear false nails all the time/ most of the time/ sometimes/ occasionally or never?
TIA!

Yes.. its definitely going to do more damage.

The glue still lifts your nails and takes off layers.. etc. etc.
The one thing it won't do is... make the grooves like the acrylics did....

just try and suck it up a few weeks.. and keep putting solar nail on like crazy.

Its definitely going to take a few months to grow out..... which stinks.. but once it does.. your nails will be perfect again. :smile:

Have you considered using a soak off gel polish like Gelish or Shellac? I'm sure you can find a salon in your area that offers it. It's a great way to transition from acrylics to natural nails, and causes no damage like artificial nails do.

Yes.. its definitely going to do more damage.

The glue still lifts your nails and takes off layers.. etc. etc.
The one thing it won't do is... make the grooves like the acrylics did....

just try and suck it up a few weeks.. and keep putting solar nail on like crazy.

Its definitely going to take a few months to grow out..... which stinks.. but once it does.. your nails will be perfect again. :smile:

Have you considered using a soak off gel polish like Gelish or Shellac? I'm sure you can find a salon in your area that offers it. It's a great way to transition from acrylics to natural nails, and causes no damage like artificial nails do.

Vuittonslover, thanks for the info. I'll just try and suck it up as best I can then, maybe stick a few falsies on here or there!
Erica, thanks for the advice. I honestly hadn't thought about a SOG purely because I get so bored so quickly. There's times when I'll change my nails 3 times in one day, kwim? I know I could soak it off at home if I get bored, but that's money down the drain that we just don't have tbh. That's the whole reason for me getting rid of the acrylics, because right now we cannot afford to pay for them.
Anyhow, thank you both for your help!:biggrin:

Vuittonslover, thanks for the info. I'll just try and suck it up as best I can then, maybe stick a few falsies on here or there!
Erica, thanks for the advice. I honestly hadn't thought about a SOG purely because I get so bored so quickly. There's times when I'll change my nails 3 times in one day, kwim? I know I could soak it off at home if I get bored, but that's money down the drain that we just don't have tbh. That's the whole reason for me getting rid of the acrylics, because right now we cannot afford to pay for them.
Anyhow, thank you both for your help!:biggrin:
I was going to mention SOG too.. but on already damaged nails you would probably end up dehydrating them... and getting those nasty white spots... people talk about. SOG doesn't allow them to breathe.

just hide your hands for a little while..... j/k

After the one experience I had with fake nails (on only one finger for only 2 days - which someone told me was the fault of the nail tech not the fake nail and that could be...) I would never wear any type of fake again. I have very healthy nails and it took it forever to get back to normal.

I would leave everything off until they get healthy again if it were me. I have no knowledge of the SOGs though...

Good luck!!!

I was going to mention SOG too.. but on already damaged nails you would probably end up dehydrating them... and getting those nasty white spots... people talk about. SOG doesn't allow them to breathe.

just hide your hands for a little while..... j/k

I agree with VuittonsLover...I think you need to leave off any fake nails/SOG's/etc and let your natural nails have a little time to breathe. You can try that Solar oil stuff that someone mentioned, or if they still make it- Revivanail. My hairdresser has very weak natural nails, and she swears that the only times she's been able to grow strong natural nails is when she used Revivanail.

I've had acrylics once in my life, and the grow-out process after I had them removed was horrrrible. I swore then and there that I'd never ever do acrylics again, and so far I've been able to keep that promise. I think you CAN grow your own beautiful nails once you find a product that works for you.

I know what its like to grow out the nails post-acrylics.. especially since they're so thin. Just let them grow out so they can be stronger. Put Vitamin E oil around the cuticle, too to moisturize it :smile:. A few weeks will fly by sweetie and your nails will grow out quickly in no time!

I know what you mean.

I took mine off in Jan.....
It was the longest four months of my life.

I got through it by
two coats OPI ridge filler, 2-3 coats polish and 1 coat of a thicker top coat (Seche)

Cremes hide the ridges better than frosts....

Tough it out... Trust me... It will be thes bestest once they grow...

Oh and Biotin pills.... Makes them grow out super fast...

My BFF has very thin nails and I gave her something from OPI that she now SWEARS by - I forgot the name but it looks like just a clear bottle of top or base coat. She was finally able to grow her nails for the first time in her life. Maybe someone else know the name of it?

The salon told me that getting Axxiuum would help ease the transition after taking off my acrylic nails, but in my experience it actually made my nails worse...I got my last gel manicure in December and my nails are only just now getting back to normal. OPI Nail Envy has helped a lot, but I will never do any sort of acrylics or gel manicures again!

(on a positive note, it really jump-started my nail polish addiction since my nails were so gross I always needed them painted! haha)

I agree with VuittonsLover...I think you need to leave off any fake nails/SOG's/etc and let your natural nails have a little time to breathe. You can try that Solar oil stuff that someone mentioned, or if they still make it- Revivanail. My hairdresser has very weak natural nails, and she swears that the only times she's been able to grow strong natural nails is when she used Revivanail.

I've had acrylics once in my life, and the grow-out process after I had them removed was horrrrible. I swore then and there that I'd never ever do acrylics again, and so far I've been able to keep that promise. I think you CAN grow your own beautiful nails once you find a product that works for you.

I had acrylics twice in my life. I think I didn't learn my lesson.. the first time. I was in a wedding and decided I wanted long nails. Ugh! They looked so thick and fake... and as soon as I got in the chair and smelled that.. smell.. it all came back to me.. from the time before I had them.. and omg.. when they use that tool and the friction builds up and it burns... ugh!

I have had real nails now for way over 10 years.. and I love them. If I break a nail or two.. I just cut them all down and start over... with the growing...lol

My BFF has very thin nails and I gave her something from OPI that she now SWEARS by - I forgot the name but it looks like just a clear bottle of top or base coat. She was finally able to grow her nails for the first time in her life. Maybe someone else know the name of it?

Was it possibly OPI Nail Envy or OPI Natural Strengthener?

I had acrylics twice in my life. I think I didn't learn my lesson.. the first time. I was in a wedding and decided I wanted long nails. Ugh! They looked so thick and fake... and as soon as I got in the chair and smelled that.. smell.. it all came back to me.. from the time before I had them.. and omg.. when they use that tool and the friction builds up and it burns... ugh!

I have had real nails now for way over 10 years.. and I love them. If I break a nail or two.. I just cut them all down and start over... with the growing...lol

LOL, yes the burning sensation and the smell are both HORRID! I don't see how those people can stand to work in those nail salons. I know they wear masks, but I'd venture to say you can still smell it. It nearly knocks me down when I walk past the nail salon in the mall. I always hated the thickness of my acrylics too. At least the second time around did it for you, lol. I've pondered doing them again here and there, but then I remind myself of why I quit doing them.

I've probably kept my real nails for at least 10 yrs now myself, and I'm the same way...if I break one, I just trim them all back some and try to wait til the shorty grows back up and catches up some.