Wearing fake or demolished Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody's situations and preferences are different; it's actually quite simple. For myself, I love to buy really heavily worn/ partially damaged LV bags because of the way they speak to me personally. LV is a malletier at it's base, a luggage maker with a long history-- a vintage bag with wear and tear just makes me excited because it looks well traveled and really represents how I see the brand. These bags/ luggage were quite literally designed to be workhorses in my opinion -- people aren't supposed to worry about watermarks or stains on vachetta or scratched canvas because the bag itself is supposed to tell a story over time with use. It's almost as if they become more distinguished with age and wear/ soiling. Whenever I see someone else with a damaged or worn LV bag (with almost black vachetta, small tears in the canvas), I always wonder what its story is-- there is almost a certain, unexplainable charm about them to me and I feel that they represent the true workmanship, purpose and history of the brand. This is also coming from someone who buys brand new Chanel bags and some new LV bags, so for me it is strictly personal preference -- I thought I'd share a different opinion on this thread by explaining why those types of bags intrigue me :smile: plus, I really enjoy fixing them up-- I snagged an authentic Speedy 30 off of eBay for a song and I cleaned her up nice and good, replaced the zipper slider and don't mind that their are a few small cracks in it and it is one of my most complimented bags!!

As for other peoples' reasoning, this could be different. The bag could be a meaningful gift to someone or a bag that was passed down in the family/ heirloom. Maybe they don't want to replace the vachetta on it because their grandmother carried it for 20+ years. I know I wouldn't want to do that if that was the case. Money can also be an issue for some people-- I feel that everyone deserves to treat themselves and maybe all they can afford is a beat up Speedy for $150 and that's their dream bag and I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has $1,000 to shell out on a new one and not everyone even has $500 to shell out on a used one either. I feel that sometimes we are so lucky that we almost forget that there are people out in this world that are far less fortunate than we are. As for repairing damaged bags, that is also ridiculously expensive as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but $125-150 for a replacement drawstring/ pull cord for a Neverfull??? I for one think that's insane and even I would be hard pressed to get a repair like that done myself just because I think it's a total rip off. A lot of other repairs are pricey too and I fully understand why some people would rather just opt to carry the bag "as is" as opposed to choosing that route. Maybe they can't afford to fix it because peoples' financial situations change or maybe they couldn't afford a fresher used one to begin with -- in this respect, this type of thread may come off as disrespectful towards people like that, although I know that is not your intent at all and you seem genuinely curious. Whether it's because of personal preferences (like me), sentimental reasons, financial reasons, or just nonchalant ones, I always say live and let live. But then again, this is all just my personal opinion and I understand that everybody has their own preferences and they're entitled to that.

As for the fake bags, I would never touch those with a 10 foot pole. However; I do not judge people who buy them as they may have been duped into thinking it's real (this actually happened to my friend with Prada eyeglasses), they may just not care, or they're not fully educated on the subject. I would never look down on someone for carrying a fake or even point it out unless I was asked. Do I support them? No, I do not support the counterfeit bags at all. But in the same token, people are just people and it doesn't phase me because I'm just focused on myself.

You all make wonderful points! The fake bags irk me a lot, but the beat up ones have had me curious, because I know for certain their owners could sell them for someone to repair, and invest the money in a nice new contemporary bag (which is what I personally would do). I had never thought of beat of bags telling a story :smile: Now whenever I see a poor speedy missing the zipper pull, with cracks in the canvas, I'll think of the adventures it must have been on. Thank you!

And I think the older, well loved bags held up much better than the ones they put out today!! My Artsy that is 4 years old is cracking...my 23 year old speedy, while well loved, has zero cracks in it.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
This is the most beat to death subject ever!! So many threads about fakes and handbag preferences. First, fakes are never acceptable, EVER, but it's a billion dollar industry and as long as there are consumers, the industry will boom. Second, if someone wants to carry a well loved bag, isnt it their right?!?! Maybe it has a story, sentimental value or whatever, but it's that persons choice and who's to say what someone else should do with their bag or what they should carry!!

Personally I own new contemporary bags, new premium bags, and used premium bags. My most loved LV bags are vintage mono where the vachetta has a nice patina. They don't have any cracks in the canvas or exposed piping (I actually really dislike that look) but I really enjoy that the item was made to stand the test of time, and I think the materials and craftsmanship was better ten plus yeas ago.

Also, a lot of "old money" wealthy people use designer goods until they're literally falling apart. They want the best items but they also want their money's worth, and they don't care who doesn't like that their horsebit loafers are scuffed or that the piping of their bag is a little worn down.

I agree when you say people of "old money" use their bags until they are falling apart. I saw an older alma on a lady, the alma was a wreck, she seemed to be just as confident as if it were brand new. She recognized my bag and told me she had her LV since the 80s and it's been around the world and back.

I agree when you say people of "old money" use their bags until they are falling apart. I saw an older alma on a lady, the alma was a wreck, she seemed to be just as confident as if it were brand new. She recognized my bag and told me she had her LV since the 80s and it's been around the world and back.

My Speedy is turning 21 this year. There's so much beauty to dark vachetta and aged canvas.

Reactions: amateurjeweler
Vintage/old has history and a feel to them I enjoy~~~
But if it looks really in bad condition, I would think its time to let it go~~~

Fake bags don't bother me personally but as we are becoming aware..its part of a shady organization which is leeching of a industry..its a bad choice

an older, beat up-looking bag could hold a lot of emotional meaning for someone... they may have received it from a (now dead) relative, it could be vintage, it could have been bought by a former lover, who knows. it is totally judgmental and snob-like to even care. worry about yourself and what you wear and never about someone else b/c you just can't know the 'why' behind what they are doing. many bags get passed down from mothers to daughters and the bag you're calling disgusting could have a lot of meaning to the girl wearing it....which actually makes it far nicer than the brand new shiny one, you know?

This may be the most "beat to death subject ever" for a reason.....people are interested in it. Remember there are new members who come here every day and may not know the in's and out's of search on here. Admittedly I'm not even sure how to search for certain things anymore since the changeover so.........
It's pretty much common sense, never buy a fake and if you wonder about authenticity of an item, have it authenticated, plain and simple! As for the other subject, it's a matter of choice and that's an individual's right, how hard is that. I don't think you have to be a part of this forum to know that!

Reactions: SakuraSakura
It's pretty much common sense, never buy a fake and if you wonder about authenticity of an item, have it authenticated, plain and simple! As for the other subject, it's a matter of choice and that's an individual's right, how hard is that. I don't think you have to be a part of this forum to know that!
Great, thanks, I think you've made your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.