Wearing a silver ring every day?

Louish

Dec 28, 2014
I’ve just bought a beautiful sterling silver ring which I want to wear daily. All of my previous rings have been either gold or platinum so I wanted to double check the wear of silver.

Do I need to take it off when I wash my hands? Does it need to be polished often?

Thank you

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Haha, I wore a silver ring from my boyfriend, for about 4 years straight without ever removing it. I swam, showered, etc. It was totally fine until one day it just turned black overnight (I think it was because I swam in an over chlorinated pool??). Then I tried some internet remedy using baking soda and tinfoil, which added a lot of dings and dents (do not recommend!). That's the only reason it's so scratched up now, otherwise it was near perfect.

Lesson learned, definitely use a silver cloth when necessary and stay away from baking soda!

Haven't polished it since, over 10 years later, still shiny. Silver is a noble metal so it's pretty easy to care for!

Here's mine, would you care to share a photo of your new ring? :smile:
2BF3EC3A-047F-4A22-9FB5-B5CB602FBFE1.jpeg

I use this on my silver jewelry - https://www.target.com/p/connoisseurs-silver-jewelry-cleaner/-/A-14050731 - but be careful to only leave your item in for the 10 seconds recommended. My ring discolored (but it could also be because it had stones set in and maybe the metal of the setting wasn't silver?)

I used the same cleaner pretty regularly on my blue topaz and diamond petite round Albion David Yurman ring that I wore every single day for about 10 or 11 years. The sterling silver looks like new when cleaned and polished. I did pretty much everything you could imagine to that ring in those years. It was subjected to harsh skincare products, sunscreens, pool chemicals, and probably even some accidental exposure to my old lab chemicals and reagents. Good sterling silver should be pretty hardy. It's a soft metal, so dings and dents are inevitable, but it can withstand daily abuse with just a little bit of care periodically.

I used the same cleaner pretty regularly on my blue topaz and diamond petite round Albion David Yurman ring that I wore every single day for about 10 or 11 years. The sterling silver looks like new when cleaned and polished. I did pretty much everything you could imagine to that ring in those years. It was subjected to harsh skincare products, sunscreens, pool chemicals, and probably even some accidental exposure to my old lab chemicals and reagents. Good sterling silver should be pretty hardy. It's a soft metal, so dings and dents are inevitable, but it can withstand daily abuse with just a little bit of care periodically.
Yes, definitely! Sorry I didn't mean to imply that cleaner was bad. It works really well on my solid silver jewelry and religious ornaments.

Haha, I wore a silver ring from my boyfriend, for about 4 years straight without ever removing it. I swam, showered, etc. It was totally fine until one day it just turned black overnight (I think it was because I swam in an over chlorinated pool??). Then I tried some internet remedy using baking soda and tinfoil, which added a lot of dings and dents (do not recommend!). That's the only reason it's so scratched up now, otherwise it was near perfect.

Lesson learned, definitely use a silver cloth when necessary and stay away from baking soda!

Haven't polished it since, over 10 years later, still shiny. Silver is a noble metal so it's pretty easy to care for!

Here's mine, would you care to share a photo of your new ring? :smile:
View attachment 4935614
Thanks for the advice! I have a couple of polishing cloths but no liquid solution yet. I’ll research it.
Here is the ring - just waiting for it to arrive!
B90F5514-6EC8-43C7-B67A-D3DEB71CD2DC.jpeg

I have many sterling silver pieces that still look very good after quite a few years. Silver is pretty hardy. Wearing it will actualky keep it from tarnishing. Although I have used a metal polish on a few pieces, a silver cloth and Dawn dish detergent usually do the trick. However, I agree that a chlorinated pool is not advised. Some silver is also rhodium plated to keep its shine. This will tend to rub off over the years.

Last edited:
Yes, definitely! Sorry I didn't mean to imply that cleaner was bad. It works really well on my solid silver jewelry and religious ornaments.
No, no! My bad -- I should have echoed your advisory. I used the cleaner for years, but would similarly caution against over-cleaning with the solution. I always just dipped my jewelry once or twice, took a breath, then removed it from the cleaning agent. Maybe 5-10 seconds tops.

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury
Pretty ring! It's looks quite delicate, my friend had a similar silver ring she wore all the time in highschool but the tail end broke off. I believe she also swam with it on so that's probably why, you should be fine otherwise.

Silver is great! I prefer it to 10k gold.

Thanks for the advice! I have a couple of polishing cloths but no liquid solution yet. I’ll research it.
Here is the ring - just waiting for it to arrive!
View attachment 4935713

That’s beautiful! Yes, wear silver every day! The only time my silver has tarnished is when it’s left in the closet, or butted up against gold. I actually prefer the bright white of silver over white gold!

I've never had an issue and I wore only sterling silver rings for years. If you're looking to expand your silver jewellery collection, I highly recommend buying from Tiffany's (or vintage Tiffany's for that matter). I bought a pair of vintage Tiffany's SS diamond studs and brought them into Tiffany's for cleaning; they looked almost like new when I picked them up. Services like the cleaning they offer really make paying more for Tiffany's make sense to me! Enjoy your new ring! :smile: