We Got A Wedding Invitation on a CD

Thats interesting and different. Did you like it? What was it like?
I'm trying to keep an open mind, but honestly, I prefer the traditional paper invitations. I'm not very computer-literate unfortunately and I was afraid of doing something harmful to our computer so I had to wait for my husband to come home and play it.

I almost through the envelope away without opening it, though. It was addressed to both of us, but just had our first names on the address and there was no return name or address so I thought, "junk mail". But for some reason on my way back up the driveway, I opened it.

My husband's nephew (whom we really don't know well at all) and his fiancee are the ones getting married. I was appalled to read this line inside the sleeve of the CD, "in lieu of gifts we ask for a possible donation toward the purchase of our wedding present."

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I've never been solicited for money in a wedding invitation, nor have I ever received an invitation on a CD. We won't be attending, and all the oddities of this whole situation leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I once received a wedding invite inscribed on a piece of pottery, which can be used as a tivet after. It was so heavy to lug around.
If I received a CD I might throw it away before even attempting to open it in my computer. I'm paranoid about viruses etc.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I've never been solicited for money in a wedding invitation, nor have I ever received an invitation on a CD. We won't be attending, and all the oddities of this whole situation leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I complete agree with you LeeLee. But just all the oddities would make me want to go to the wedding even MORE! Who knows what surprises they may have in store at the reception!

My husband's nephew (whom we really don't know well at all) and his fiancee are the ones getting married. I was appalled to read this line inside the sleeve of the CD, "in lieu of gifts we ask for a possible donation toward the purchase of our wedding present."

I was thinking "wow, what a great idea" until I got to the part about soliciting "donations."

Sorry, but IMO that is wrong and tacky.

And I am so stealing the idea of another poster to do a CD thank you note:tup:

the donation part doesn't really bother me, we contributed to a fund for a couple's honeymoon. was easier than buying a gift.

now what i think is tacky, the "money dance" i cringe whenever i attend a wedding with one of those.

I wonder how many of those CD invitations got tossed as junk mail...I mean really all that effort and no return address?

I love the idea of traditional invitations and then a wedding website and CD sent afterwards with pictures, etc. I'm pretty computer literate but given the multitude of generations usually invited to weddings it's dangerous to assume everyone is and would know how to rsvp through email or evite, etc.

But oh man, donations for "their gift" in lieu of gifts? CD or no, TACKY!

The CD wouldn't bother me... but I'd probably have been like uhhh what am I supposed to do with this! But the asking for "donations" does bother me. Gifts should not be mentioned on an invitation to an event. If they said something like, in lieu of gifts, donations to such and such charity that is different, but they're just asking you for money for themselves! That's not a donation!

I complete agree with you LeeLee. But just all the oddities would make me want to go to the wedding even MORE! Who knows what surprises they may have in store at the reception!
You are so right! I was so busy being stunned and surprised that I didn't even consider how interesting this event could be. The wedding takes place in Michigan, though, and since we live in MD we'll not go. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that they are inviting everyone to stay the night before the service in "rustic cabins" that are available at the site. (That is so definitely NOT my style!!) Not much more details were given, but it sounds to me like this is an outdoor wedding in a park or campground(?).

Thanks to everyone who responded! I have truly enjoyed reading your posts. So many goods points were made by all of you. This is such an unusual situation for me (seriously!) and its been a pleasure to have your different perspectives!