'We are registred at...' cards with wedding invites = TACKY

I once saw an invitation that included a separate list of the couple's bank account numbers on it including listing where they were registered along with suggestions on giving money rather then presents. Taaaaacky!

:wtf: Oh my...now THAT is tacky!!

Yes, in the good old days, etiquette required that you ASKED where the bride and groom were registered. Listing it on even a shower invitation was considered extremely rude!!

I agree with you, OP. As far as I'm concerned, it's tacky to put registry info, or any mention of gifts, on ANY invitation - including showers. First of all, it's very easy to create a wedding website now - you just go to one of the bridal sites, put in your name, groom's name, date of the wedding, and they give you a website. Also, it's very easy to track down a wedding registry. If a couple isn't registered at Macy's or Bed Bath & Beyond, then call the bride or one of the moms or the maid of honor and ASK. Also, the shower hostess should know, so you can ask when you RSVP.

Speaking of RSVPs, that's another thing that drives me absolutely crazy. People have apparently forgotten how to RSVP. The last shower I hosted, we didn't get a single RSVP (the invitation had 2 phone numbers and asked for RSVPs!), but there were about 15 people there!:shrugs:

yupe I agree it is tacky......for as long as there have been weddings and as long as there will be weddings, some things should never change ....DON"T ASK FOR GIFTS ! I think the best way is to talk to the parents or the bridal party as to where the couple is registered. IMHO. SInce we are on the topic...I hate going to the "gift opening" the next day too ...I feel like the couple should open their gifts in private with each other, I really am not interested in every single thing you received !

SInce we are on the topic...I hate going to the "gift opening" the next day too ...I feel like the couple should open their gifts in private with each other, I really am not interested in every single thing you received !

I have never even heard of this! Do they show off each gift and announce who it's from?

A little off-topic, but we got an invitation to a baby shower and a list of where the parents had registered. That part was helpful, but when I went to those websites, aside from listing the things they wanted, they also adamantly specified the things they did not want. In particular they said not to purchase their baby anything with logos or words on it. It smacked on ungratefulness to me. I mean, couldn't they just say "thank you for your thoughtful gift" and leave it at that?

A little off-topic, but we got an invitation to a baby shower and a list of where the parents had registered. That part was helpful, but when I went to those websites, aside from listing the things they wanted, they also adamantly specified the things they did not want. In particular they said not to purchase their baby anything with logos or words on it. It smacked on ungratefulness to me. I mean, couldn't they just say "thank you for your thoughtful gift" and leave it at that?

OMG...that is just TACKY!!! Whoever heard of going through the trouble of tell gift givers what they DON'T want!!! Jeez....that is just rude!

Anne

We included a business card that we had made that had our wedding website on it. The website included info about San Francisco, places to visit, info about the location of the wedding, etc. It also said where we were registered. We included our home address on the card because the invitation RSVPs went to my parents' house, which is clear across the country, and it didn't make sense to have people send gifts there because then my parents would have to send them to us.

However, I agree that it is inappropriate to list the registry info right on the invitation. The proper/traditional thing is to contact the families to see where the bride and groom are registered.

Yes, It's so tacky and it annoys me too. I make a great effort to give the couple something thoughtful and special just for them. Once that couple registered or ask for money I loose all interest. Where I live it's very common to ask for money towards a honeymoon stating that they lived together for so long that they already have all the domestic things they need. It's not the point. You give what you think will be a great gift and If you don't know, you ask the maid of honor, parents etc.

I got an invitation the other day, no word about registry. So I picked up the phone <OMG:wtf:> and called her & said "Hey, I'm not sure if i can make it (she knew why), where are you registered?" She says "X, Y, & Z, but don't worry about a gift."

Speaking of tackiness, my brother & his for-now wife sent out their invites, to HER family only, complete w/ lame line about where they registered--or cash. My family was treated to an email/facebook message, that was essentially a gift grab w/ "Please forward this on to other relatives":throwup: Their (her) excuse, you're family lives overseas, why should I waste invitations on people who won't come. :faint: She has obviously not been around my family long, these people show up for anything.:rolleyes: My mom was so disgusted, that she didn't get them a single thing (not to mention they came up with some bizarre "traditions") :rant: The chick is all upset b/c her registry is pretty much still full.

ah i had no idea that this was a tacky thing to do. not that i subscribe to doing all things tacky lol. i always felt like it was helpful in getting the right gifts. then again, all the weddings i've been to so far were all my BF's friends.

the website thing is a really cute idea though :smile:

Hmm, I don't see it as tacky to put it on the Shower invitation (I wouldn't put it on the actual wedding invite). It's really something optional, anyway. I would like to get them something that they will want and use, and if I had something else in mind, I would get them that instead, no big deal. It's much easier to have a registry than to have every guest asking, what do you want, where are you registered? Plus the shower is often a surprise.

I do think it's tacky though to request "monetary gifts," though.