ways to save money moving out

Status
Not open for further replies.

amber11

Feb 7, 2008
so i'm moving out and i thought i had my budget all planned out until after speaking with the landlord i realized how much i did not account for utilities and/or the basic things you have to buy before hand like microwaves etc. anyways i was just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to save money?

Get used to cooking for yourself and don't eat out a lot. IKEA is good for cheap furniture if you need it, just make sure you can put it all together!

uhm... get a roommate to split the costs? ;)

-Don't leave any lights on unless absolutely necessary.
-Set the temperature at your apartment at a level that isn't too hot..putting on a sweater doesn't cost money.
-Second the not eating out..it's the biggest drain on my finances. But additionally, try to get your groceries as cheap as possible.
-Don't get any kind of extra cable. Basic is fine, but you can even go without because you can watch lots of shows online legally now, or you could read a book or a magazine.
-If you don't already and if you live somewhere where it's feasable to take public transportation to work, do it!
-Don't go shopping when you're bored. I did this a lot when I worked and always just said "oh, well it's only $10 for this shirt that I'm spending today" but that adds up.
-This isn't really house related, but I found that I spent a lot of money just going out with my friends for drinks, dinner, clubs, etc. I'm really trying to make a conscious effort to not do that this year. For example, you could try making dinner together instead of eating out (we did this a lot last year with my housemates), or predrinking before going out to save money (unless you're the one driving of course).

I think that's all I have for now. How much are your utilities? Could you maybe put off some things that aren't a complete necessity and just get them gradually as money comes to you (like the microwave, cable, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.