ways to save money moving out

Status
Not open for further replies.

amber11

Feb 7, 2008
so i'm moving out and i thought i had my budget all planned out until after speaking with the landlord i realized how much i did not account for utilities and/or the basic things you have to buy before hand like microwaves etc. anyways i was just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to save money?

jsenning

O.G.
Jul 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Get used to cooking for yourself and don't eat out a lot. IKEA is good for cheap furniture if you need it, just make sure you can put it all together!

uhm... get a roommate to split the costs? ;)

lilian

Jan 3, 2006
-Don't leave any lights on unless absolutely necessary.
-Set the temperature at your apartment at a level that isn't too hot..putting on a sweater doesn't cost money.
-Second the not eating out..it's the biggest drain on my finances. But additionally, try to get your groceries as cheap as possible.
-Don't get any kind of extra cable. Basic is fine, but you can even go without because you can watch lots of shows online legally now, or you could read a book or a magazine.
-If you don't already and if you live somewhere where it's feasable to take public transportation to work, do it!
-Don't go shopping when you're bored. I did this a lot when I worked and always just said "oh, well it's only $10 for this shirt that I'm spending today" but that adds up.
-This isn't really house related, but I found that I spent a lot of money just going out with my friends for drinks, dinner, clubs, etc. I'm really trying to make a conscious effort to not do that this year. For example, you could try making dinner together instead of eating out (we did this a lot last year with my housemates), or predrinking before going out to save money (unless you're the one driving of course).

I think that's all I have for now. How much are your utilities? Could you maybe put off some things that aren't a complete necessity and just get them gradually as money comes to you (like the microwave, cable, etc)?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
hi!

Please visit our Money Talks Forum, TONS of info in that forum about saving money:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.