WAXing question for experts !!

db89

O.G.
Feb 20, 2006
HELP!!

I have never waxed my legs .... yeah yeah... I am now an old fogey and
never needed to ... I have done the occasional shaving for my legs...

but now a young girl is seeking help and I would love to help her out :

1. is 13yrs too young to wax her legs ??
2. what is the long term effect of waxing her legs vs. shaving them ??
3. any advice ?? i am totally lost ..

please help.

any good website like this one which is dedicated to waxing ....
(I know it sounds funny... my desperation is showing!)

Last edited:
Well I'm certainly no expert, and I don't know of any websites to direct you to, but here's my opinion:

1. No, I don't think 13 is too young to wax...if she's old enough according to her parents to shave, then IMO she's old enough to wax...of course this should ultimately be up to her mother.

2. Long term effect of waxing would be finer and more sparse re-growth over time. Shaving has no long term effects.

3. The only other advice I can think of is, make sure she understands what she's getting into with waxing (regarding the discomfort involved); take her or suggest she go somewhere reputable (look in the yellow pages for skin care places or day spas); have her take ibuprophen before the appointment to lessen the discomfort...that's about all I can think of for right now.

Also, you could do a google search for what to expect with waxing or something of the sort.

Good luck!

Well I'm certainly no expert, and I don't know of any websites to direct you to, but here's my opinion:

1. No, I don't think 13 is too young to wax...if she's old enough according to her parents to shave, then IMO she's old enough to wax...of course this should ultimately be up to her mother.

2. Long term effect of waxing would be finer and more sparse re-growth over time. Shaving has no long term effects.

3. The only other advice I can think of is, make sure she understands what she's getting into with waxing (regarding the discomfort involved); take her or suggest she go somewhere reputable (look in the yellow pages for skin care places or day spas); have her take ibuprophen before the appointment to lessen the discomfort...that's about all I can think of for right now.

Also, you could do a google search for what to expect with waxing or something of the sort.

Good luck!

Grrrrreat advice!

The only thing I'd add is let her know that the first few times are the worst. The pinpricky "ripping" feeling can be quite bad, but once it's over, it's over. The first time I had my legs waxed my pain reflex almost made me kick the beauty therapist in the head LOL but now I barely feel it!

I agree that it's important that you take her somewhere reputable to make sure they do a quick, easy and good job. Bad therapists can make the whole thing a nightmare and do awful things like heat the wax too hot or take skin off. Ouch! A good, qualified therapist will do it no time and with minimal pain - here's to smooth legs YAY!