Waterproof spray/treatment to new your bags?

cookie87

O.G.
Oct 7, 2007
Hi all! I just gotten 2 mini Mac in hyper purple and zest color recently. And inside the bag there's a card..it says we recommend that your bag be treated with weatherproof protectant and special care by a leather care professional.

Am wondering If I should do this for my 2 new babies.

Any of you did it?

Hi all! I just gotten 2 mini Mac in hyper purple and zest color recently. And inside the bag there's a card..it says we recommend that your bag be treated with weatherproof protectant and special care by a leather care professional.

Am wondering If I should do this for my 2 new babies.

Any of you did it?
first of all, congrats on your new purchases.
and yes, i do apply waterproof product on all my bags before use. it works great and i recommend using it to protect all leather products from water, dirt and stain.

I only applied weatherproof protectant on my light colored bags and embossed leather. The darker colors I left alone. I have the hyper purple and the color is quite dark. As long as you don't plan on taking it around when it's raining, I don't think you will have a problem. :smile:

Does it darken after the spray treatment?
it's never happened to me. the product that i used evaporates like in a second. i have also used Leather Honey, which is more like a conditioner, and it takes days to get the bags absorb the material and get back to their original color. that's my experience.

Just curious. I have a few RM bags with the soft leather now: mini MAB satchel, moto satchel, moto hobo. And I've been really careful to avoid letting them get in the rain.

But for those of you who have let your bag get in the rain, were they damaged at all? Did you use any sort of protecting treatment?

I've never babied a RM bag and I take them out in all kinds of weather, rain, hail, cold, you name it (I live in Seattle, this time of year we get every type of weather in a couple hours some days!) and they hold up great, no damage or signs of any change at all. I've never used any sort of leather protector either, the soft/pebbled RM leather feels and looks like it's pretty well processed already. I'd be more careful with suede or nubuck bags (which is why I don't own any!).

I've never babied a RM bag and I take them out in all kinds of weather, rain, hail, cold, you name it (I live in Seattle, this time of year we get every type of weather in a couple hours some days!) and they hold up great, no damage or signs of any change at all. I've never used any sort of leather protector either, the soft/pebbled RM leather feels and looks like it's pretty well processed already. I'd be more careful with suede or nubuck bags (which is why I don't own any!).
Can you tell me which bags have survived rain like you mentioned? And maybe when you bought them too?

I ask because I'm pretty new to RM bags and some people have complained that the newer bags (like the moto satchel) have thinner, flimsier leather than the high quality leather of the past.

Can you tell me which bags have survived rain like you mentioned? And maybe when you bought them too?

I ask because I'm pretty new to RM bags and some people have complained that the newer bags (like the moto satchel) have thinner, flimsier leather than the high quality leather of the past.

I have a black Moto Hobo, bought early last fall from the RM website, that I've used almost every day since I got it, in pouring rain several times. As far as I know it's the same type of leather as the Moto Satchel.

By comparison I have a Kate Spade bag in her Cobble Hill leather (I don't know if you're familiar with KS, but this would be the most similar to the RM soft leather) that I haven't used as much as my RM Moto Hobo, and that one's already showing scuffing on the bottom. I don't have any older RM bags so I can't compare, but I'd say the newer leather is durable too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,701
Just curious. I have a few RM bags with the soft leather now: mini MAB satchel, moto satchel, moto hobo. And I've been really careful to avoid letting them get in the rain.

But for those of you who have let your bag get in the rain, were they damaged at all? Did you use any sort of protecting treatment?
I only spray my lighter colored bags, and it protects them from rain amd denim transfer too, so it's worth doing. With my dark bags, I don't do anything except moisturize a little. Pebbled leather is already treated so it's the most hardy, but I prefer smooth leather so that requires a little more care.

Would highly recommend you treat it! I had a red mini MAC which sat in my closet for a few months before i started using it. Unfortunately the Singapore Humidity got to it and it transferred quite a bit of color to the dust bag! It still looks good but now i take extra special care of it!