Travel Waterproof Camera Case?

nikki213

Accesories Addict
Mar 25, 2006
Has anyone ever used one of these? I'm wondering if the quality is as good as they claim. I hate using disposable waterproof cameras because you cannot tell the quality of the photo. Half of our snorkling pictures didn't come out last year and I don't want the same thing to happen this year. However the hard plastic waterproof case made for my camera is $200, for that amount of money I could just buy a new camera. TIA

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Fo...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1240266951&sr=8-3

courtneyh

O.G.
Oct 9, 2006
I have been thinking about getting one as well...

have you check out like best buy or a local shop near you that sells them so you can check them out in person and make sure they are worth the money and will work? and then that way if you like it and you know it will work, then order it online?

Lyn2005

Member since 2006 :)
O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
Have you considered one of the newer waterproof cameras that are coming out recently? I think Olympus makes quite a few waterproof cameras. There are several models with several price ranges, the older models have gone on sale now. I'm thinking about the new Olympus tough 6000 model myself, waterproof up to 10 ft, great for snorkelling. However, I will be collecting my airmiles to trade in for it for free.

candice19

Oct 21, 2007
I haven't used one, but I'll tell you about some negative feedback I've heard so you're aware.... the plastic on those bags is very thick, which makes pressing buttons and turning knobs pretty hard. Plus, the black circular ring - it sometimes gets in the way of shots and if the acrylic (or whatever material) if further away from your camera, your shots will come out a bit blurry.

If you're willing to, spend some money for an underwater point-and-shoot. We have an Olympus Stylus that can go up to 15ft underwater, and it does the job pretty well considering it's a point and shoot. You can still see the live view like you would normally, so you can see your shot.

NoraV

Jul 8, 2008
I haven't used those, but I do use the special Sony marine housings when I do shallow dives (40 feet or less). I'd rather be safe than sorry.

For what it's worth, unless they've been drastically improved, those waterproof cameras are NOT waterproof.

Meeko

O.G.
Apr 2, 2008
I have the Olympus 1050sw (an older model of tough 6000) for a couple of months now and its waterproof. I had it tested under running water the first day I got it and it still works fine. I plan on taking that camera to Jamaica in a couple of weeks. :tup: