Water & Stain Protectant Spray for Nubuck Leather?

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Too far from palm trees
I got my lastest and greatest yesterday. She is constructed of dark grey nubuck leather. I definitely want to protect her from water & stain. I normally use Collonil Waterstop with UV protection on my regular leathers, like lambskin and goatskin. However, I know nubuck and suede require their own special formulations.

Please share your experiences so I know what to consider and what to avoid.

Since my bag is a color (not black), I want to avoid any products that alter the color.

Reactions: PinkJellyBeanz

MecoPoco

Oct 23, 2014
I saw your post, and I'm wondering if there's something to fix water spots on Louis Vuitton Vachetta natural leather straps? Do you know?

Elliespurse

Authenticator
O.G.
Jun 21, 2009
europe
I saw your post, and I'm wondering if there's something to fix water spots on Louis Vuitton Vachetta natural leather straps? Do you know?
Hi, usually it's hard to remove stains on vachetta because it will alter the original smooth finish. The leather is meant to get a patina with time. I would only use (alcohol-free) baby-wipes to even out the finish, but not to much just lightly.

See the LV Faq for more tips: Louis Vuitton FAQs

orid

Sep 21, 2014
Chicago
I got my lastest and greatest yesterday. She is constructed of dark grey nubuck leather. I definitely want to protect her from water & stain. I normally use Collonil Waterstop with UV protection on my regular leathers, like lambskin and goatskin. However, I know nubuck and suede require their own special formulations.

Please share your experiences so I know what to consider and what to avoid.

Since my bag is a color (not black), I want to avoid any products that alter the color.
LOVE your bag!!!

Re the spray, I use this Saphir spray for suede and nubuck. I have used this mostly on my boots but have worked well on my nubuck celine too. http://amzn.to/1wyg2Sb

You probably need the neutral one as the bag isn't really black as you said.

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Too far from palm trees
Hi, this is gorgeous! :love: like you said it requires special treatment (or perhaps it best not to do anything). There's a thread in the Celine forum where the treatment of a similar bag went wrong: Freaking out after collonil cream.
OMG what a disaster that was! I am quite the DIYr and quite a researcher. So I would never make that kind of mistake. I already know I will use a spray. No creams on my nunuck baby!

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Too far from palm trees
LOVE your bag!!!

Re the spray, I use this Saphir spray for suede and nubuck. I have used this mostly on my boots but have worked well on my nubuck celine too. http://amzn.to/1wyg2Sb

You probably need the neutral one as the bag isn't really black as you said.
Thank you so much! Have you used this spray on a non-black nubuck? If so, how did it affect the color? How does the nubuck feel after the spray has dried? I want to keep the super soft velvety feel is possible. Did you have to brush yours?

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
I use collonil waterstop spray on suede without problems.
I use the formula "for smooth leather" & "neutral." The can specifies may be used on "suede and nubuck and high-tech materials."

Suede lining of mulberry bayswater is oxblood color--no issues.
Also use on suede shoes, light brown--stay same texture, no spots.
I use it on ballistic nylon fabric without trouble, too.

I haven't used it specifically on nubuck, however.

Hope this helps some.

hrhsunshine

Truly Addicted
O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Too far from palm trees
REVIEW of COLLONIL Nubuck + Velours Spray

I sprayed my brand spankin' new croc embossed Ant with the Collonil spray three times. I am ecstatic with the results! I sprayed lightly and evenly (per the can's instructions). I sprayed the entire exterior (including handles and strap).

For the first two applications, I sprayed the bag, handles and top of the strap. I hung the bag by the strap to dry. On the third application, I sprayed the underside of the strap and the entire bag. Then, I hung it up for a final dry.

You can see the surface darken as it is sprayed and quickly lighten to normal as the protectant starts drying. Do NOT saturate the leather. Just give it a light even spray. I allowed 24+ hrs between sprays to make sure it dried.

I don't see any change in color or feel. I flicked a little water onto the bag and the water beaded!! I didn't cover any of the hw. I just gave them a wipe with a paper towel after each spray.

I am so happy with the results. I use the Collonil Waterstop on my regular leather bags and the Collonil Nubuck + Velours Spray is perfect for nubuck Antigonas! Woohoo!

I have ordered a suede brush/ crepe brush to keep the velour from flattening with use. This is often recommended to maintain the finish and clean the surface.